How is 22 LR availability in your area?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I've finally managed to accumulate about 1,200 rounds of 22 LR since late 2012. Not a great deal but there are few days when I can be at the store at 8 a.m. The store also continues to limit purchases to two boxes.

Available ammo has run the gamut - CCI, Federal, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester Western, even some 22 Long (CCI) and 22 Short (Remington).

How's 22 availability in your area?

2. cktvt

cktvt Member

Terrible. Just the other day I looked all over town for 22 ammo. At the last little Mom & Pop gun store I went to, waaaay out in the boonies, I found one (yup one) small dusty box of 22 ammo way up on a shelf where it had been forgotten, maybe for years.

I bought it, threw it on the front seat of my car, and began driving home with the windows down. As I got back into town, I stopped for a red light. A gorgeous brunette in a sports car pulled up next to me in the other lane, looked over, and noticed my little box of 22s on the passenger seat.

"Wow!" she said while we were waiting for the light "You've got a box of 22 ammo - that stuff is as scarce as Hen's teeth!". "I know!" I replied, "I was lucky just to find that one small box!" She smiled and said, "Ammo is so scarce now, I've heard some people are willing to trade sex for ammo!"

Before I could think of a comeback, she got all serious and said "Would you be willing to trade sex for ammo?" Holy crap! :eek: I thought about it for a moment or two, looked her right in the eye, and said coolly "I might be willing to trade sex for ammo - what kinda ammo you got?" Bwaaa ha ha ha ha :p http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608028835179007865&w=305&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

3. Kiln

Kiln Member

To put it simply, it is as unavailable as a high dollar hooker is to a hobo.

4. Browning 9 Guy

Cktvt - cool head in a tense situation

Cktvt, it sounds like you handled a tense situation masterfully.

5. cktvt

cktvt Member

Actually, I creamed my jeans :eek:

6. Browning 9 Guy

Kiln that's the situation here usually

I did manage to find 100 packs of CCI mini mags. They're terrific in our Marlin 795.

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

fixed that for ya

8. cktvt

cktvt Member

Oh man ILMAO and scared the dog off the bed.

9. ...

It seems to be getting better. Walmart is still the domain of the flippers, but I have seen consistent availability at Academy. And a pretty good selection.

I also have had good luck on armslist and a local flea market by offering to buy it all.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I can find it at Academy, Walmart, and Cabela's. There are limits but I have managed to pick up 500 rd bricks at least once every couple weeks. But I have no problem buying 2 50 rd boxes when I see it. I am having a bit more trouble finding 22 mag for the evil rifle.

11. my wonderful wife told me the other day that everytime she goes to Wallyworld she asks about .22 ammo.

Mind you she goes twice weekly. Never once has she found any. Not in three years. They are screwing us. The employees sell it to their buddies. Their bosses lie about it.

I read of people finding large amounts at Cabelas, Gander Mtn, Academy. Are you telling me Walmart is not in that mix? really? I ****ing hate box stores.

12. cktvt

cktvt Member

My experience with my local Wally is just as bad. You look in their ammo case and there's, uh let's see...six boxes of 12ga skeet loads and, oh look!...one box of 25cal acp hardball. And that's about it, but be sure to come back real soon for another waste of your time. We may be getting a shipment of 22s on the 2nd Tuesday after Labor Day but it always sells out in 15 minutes. We have Dick's Sporting Goods but they're almost as bad as Wally; Dick's sales people are all so clueless they can't find their own ass with both hands.

I buy my ammo at gun shops, gun shows, or on-line.

OK, so what did Mrs. Bullet say to Mr. Bullet? "Honey, we're having a bee-bee!"

13. Kiln

Kiln Member

Anybody wanting to trade sex for ammo is just plain trashy. Unless it is Minimags or Stingers, then it is understandable.

14. As long as it isn't Winchester hollow points.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

15. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Only found, ( by me rarely), in the LGS. Walmart has had .22 shorts, that I have seen, once in 2.5 years here in town.
    I do so enjoy the sign that has been up the whole time that mentions a limit on .22lr purchases of 3 boxes.
    Sort of like a "Squatch Crossing" sign. Don't hold yer breath.
    :rolleyes:

16. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Finding .22s has gone from sometimes successful to almost impossible since May. The most I have seen anyone pay for a brick is $50 (local show). The gougers who try to get more seem to go home with their ammo.

17. Svvift

Svvift Member

At my local academy, yesterday they had stacks and stacks of aguila match and subsonic, blazer, cci, and federal. They even had stacks of 22mag and 22 short

18. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

.22LR and .22 Magnum both are nearly non existent in this area. I've been hunting for a few boxes of .22 magnum for several months, haven't found it yet. I'm not completely out of .22 magnum, but would like to have a little more on hand. As for .22LR, I'm still in good shape on it, I had about 3 cases on hand when all the crap started. I'm shooting some of it, but trying to be conservative with it until it is more readily available and I can buy it by the case again.

19. Central Ohio, have only seen 22LR twice in the last two years. That was at Cabela's, no where else.

Up North though, different story. 22LR seems pretty available up there, but I rarely go there now.

20. aeroe

aeroe Member

No change. I saw ratshot once at Walmart, nothing else since the Great Panic. I can find the occasional 50 round box at a gun shop. Match grade is still at $9-10.

I did get one box of Gemtech subsonic for $5 a little while back to test with my SR22. (That gun is flawless through everything thus far).

I still have to order online, and have to be very fast and very lucky. I have yet to see a brick of 22LR locally.