What would you do?

• Get as many calibers as possible, focusing on a few primaries

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people trying to cut down on the calibers they have. My theory is slightly different. I have a few weapons that I don't own much ammo for (<500 rounds) but I hold onto just because I want to be able to shoot any ammo I pick up.

What's the opinion of most of you guys?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My logic is motivated by three factors:

-Cost
-Availability
-Effectiveness

Understand in an event that you would need such items during a SHTF situation, you have to consider where you are, what your application is, and how will you move this stuff when you need to "bug out" to safer ground (especially in natural dissasters when even the smartest location becomes unsafe due to forces out of your control).

Ammo, by itself, isn't much. Get 500 to 5,000 of those little buggers in one box, and this stuff gets heavy!! All the sudden, that extra half once of one caliber times 5,000 turns into a ton of hurt. I want to maximize my ammo, yet at the same time keep it managable so I don't have to debate what OTHER equipment I need to get rid of. Food, water and communications are paramount. And, while I know some would disagree with me, but firearms are a secondary element. Granted it's one many of us would rather NOT be without, but in a moment of survival, we can improvise. Don't let the weight or mass of your ammo force you to compromise on the primaries.

Next is availability. While sporting the finest in 7.62x54r field rifle is a GREAT idea, it's caliber is still rather rare in many parts of North America. Sure, you can go down to the sporting goods store and pick up a box, but what if there IS no store? A .25 is a fantastic BUG, but how many people do YOU know with a .25 as opposed to, say, a 9mm? Common rounds mean that you can find ammo alot easier if needed, and you can use your ammo in something else if you need to aquire another weapon. Standardization worked for the Empire, it worked for the Yankee armies to this day, and it will work for you! Same philosophy applies to the firearm itself: Either find something you KNOW will be bulletproof for 10,000+ rounds, or you can find parts for ANYWHERE (this is why I'd take an AK over just about any other assualt rifle, a 12 gauge Mossberg/Winchester or a 1911. Parts ABOUND for these, and they're easy to repair. Of course, the C9 is a given because that thing just doesn't break!!)

And, of course, you want to choose a variety that is effective. No sense in having a .308 AND a 7.62x54r, since they essentially do the same job plus or minus a few yards or lb/ft of impact. Same with a .380 and 9mm. You also want a broad range of applications in a small amount of rounds. A 12 gauge is THE platform for everything from flares and tranqulizers to slugs and buckshot. It can be a weapon or a tool, and EVERYONE knows how to use it, even non-gun owners! Carbine-common pistol calibers are also a great choice: .45, 9mm or .22. This gives you flexibility to use those rounds in various arms, increasing their effectiveness. A 9mm might work well in a pistol for close range, but throw that in a 995 or Kel-Tec Sub 2000, and you have a medium range weapon with about the same force as a .357 that can potentially go up to 300 yards! .22.... well, we won't get into just HOW AWESOME that round is. Just know that you need one. The ammo is light, common, easy to fire no matter what your health or body type is and it's inexpensive.

Of course, this is just MY theory. Then again, if I were in Europe I would supplant 9mm with .32 but that's the ONLY change I'd make to that list.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I've kept my calibers down purposefully. 9mm, .45ACP, .22, .223 and 12gauge. Oh, and a few hundred rounds of .380 for the LCP. Aside from the .380 I have at least 2 firearms for each caliber.
I am trying to build up a very respectful cache of ammo for them all - both at my apartment and my gf's house.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
my preference remains unchanged.. common caliber pistol carbine w/sidearm (my pref is 9mm), .22lr, and something bigger that you enjoy shooting (7.62 x39 for me).

that's 3 calibers, and that's not including shotgun ammo, if you MUST have a shotty.

ammo, what is that? if i need it, then something has seriously happen, or i need to have a yard sale for these paper weights, door stopper, and tent pegs/poles.

ditto with .22lr ammo. get a .22lr rifle/handgun because ammo in this caliber is unlimited.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have 36 guns and load 22 different cals, also have 3,500lbs of ammo stockpiled
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How are you going to MOVE all of that? A Bradley? Unimog?

G

·

You don't move. You stay put and let trouble wish it had never come to your house.

Last time I moved was 10 years ago. It took two trips in the pickup just for the ammo.

G

·

You don't move. You stay put and let trouble wish it had never come to your house.

Last time I moved was 10 years ago. It took two trips in the pickup just for the ammo.
Amen...when trouble comes knocking...the hornets nest doesn't move...

...it just ruins whatever animal stuck it's nose in there

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Right on RU !!!
I won't bore anyone with the specifics about all the different calibers (8 including shotgun) and stuff, but it's been almost 15 years since I moved.
Hold on to what you've got 47_, you never know.
And hey, 191145acp..... can I come over? 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
condition1, yep

I am moving this spring guys (god willing) to bonners ferry, Idaho (ruby ridge country) and I can fit all the ammo in the truck and on the trailer, but yeah you don't move, you let it come to you.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I focus on 9mm, .22, 7.62x39, 762.54r

This ammo selection IMO is the most multi purpose rounds available, covers everything from medium/long range rifles, carbines and pistols at some of the lowest prices available. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
while i focus on 9mm 7.62x39 7.62x54r 12 gauge 40s.w 22lr I think its always a good idea to throw in a few oddball calibers just incase you find a massive stockpile of odd ammunition you have a better chance of being able to use it if needed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have 5 calibers to fill the slowly growing stockpile with. 9mm, .40, 12ga, 7.62x54R and .22lr. If .220 Swift (my Dad's rifle, may he rest in peace) wasn't so pricey, I'd get a few hundred of that, too. Mom has the .22, actually 2 of them, one was Dad's, and the .220 Swift.

To 191145acp: I live out on the Rathdrum prairie, near highway 95. Where are you moving from?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
My main calibers / gauges are 22,9mm,223,7.62x39,12ga.,

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's funny how many people insist that staying put is going to be *the* best policy. I'm sure in some situations that is true....

But most of us don't live in defensible plots in sparsely populated ares in geologic neutral territory.

In the US, the biggest SHTF situation one will face is going to be natural event: Earthquake, flood, hurricane, random space station falling out of the sky.... you name it. More often than not, you have to fallback to firmer stuff just to make an assessment of your threat issues.

Then there is Urban upheaval...and this is actually something I know a bit about and have experienced first hand.

The biggest reasoning for my ammo rationale is that no matter how much effort is put in, the safest spot is when you are NOT around those who wish to hurt you. Often times this means defence while moving, and I just can't wrap my head around me sticking to my Apartment or a "place in the hills" when society itself is so fluid and dynamic. I need a set of ammo that is just as fluid and dynamic: Easy to move, easy to use, and as versatile as possible with the fewest moving parts or mismatched sizes as possible. Even in a pinch, I'd choose ONE load (probably a 9mm) if issue called for it, using the best problem solving skills I could to make due with the caliber I have if it meant getting to safer ground with the tactical and logistical advantage.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Gee with ALL that ammo you have just supplied any badguy with all the ammo they will need cause sure as heck YOU won't be around for long.

Dream big but when you fall asleep they'll be inside fast :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
[quote="
To 191145acp: I live out on the Rathdrum prairie, near highway 95. Where are you moving from?[/quote]

right know im going to bonners ferry, but I had a guy stay with us this summer that lives in california and he has some land close to bonners ferry that he is going to sell me. so im going to live in town until I can build a house on the land. im moving from Iowa (best thing about Iowa is the hunting and the giant deer) but thats it

G

·
My logic is motivated by three factors:

-Cost
-Availability
-Effectiveness

Understand in an event that you would need such items during a SHTF situation, you have to consider where you are, what your application is, and how will you move this stuff when you need to "bug out" to safer ground (especially in natural dissasters when even the smartest location becomes unsafe due to forces out of your control).

Ammo, by itself, isn't much. Get 500 to 5,000 of those little buggers in one box, and this stuff gets heavy!! All the sudden, that extra half once of one caliber times 5,000 turns into a ton of hurt. I want to maximize my ammo, yet at the same time keep it managable so I don't have to debate what OTHER equipment I need to get rid of. Food, water and communications are paramount. And, while I know some would disagree with me, but firearms are a secondary element. Granted it's one many of us would rather NOT be without, but in a moment of survival, we can improvise. Don't let the weight or mass of your ammo force you to compromise on the primaries.

Next is availability. While sporting the finest in 7.62x54r field rifle is a GREAT idea, it's caliber is still rather rare in many parts of North America. Sure, you can go down to the sporting goods store and pick up a box, but what if there IS no store? A .25 is a fantastic BUG, but how many people do YOU know with a .25 as opposed to, say, a 9mm? Common rounds mean that you can find ammo alot easier if needed, and you can use your ammo in something else if you need to aquire another weapon. Standardization worked for the Empire, it worked for the Yankee armies to this day, and it will work for you! Same philosophy applies to the firearm itself: Either find something you KNOW will be bulletproof for 10,000+ rounds, or you can find parts for ANYWHERE (this is why I'd take an AK over just about any other assualt rifle, a 12 gauge Mossberg/Winchester or a 1911. Parts ABOUND for these, and they're easy to repair. Of course, the C9 is a given because that thing just doesn't break!!)

And, of course, you want to choose a variety that is effective. No sense in having a .308 AND a 7.62x54r, since they essentially do the same job plus or minus a few yards or lb/ft of impact. Same with a .380 and 9mm. You also want a broad range of applications in a small amount of rounds. A 12 gauge is THE platform for everything from flares and tranqulizers to slugs and buckshot. It can be a weapon or a tool, and EVERYONE knows how to use it, even non-gun owners! Carbine-common pistol calibers are also a great choice: .45, 9mm or .22. This gives you flexibility to use those rounds in various arms, increasing their effectiveness. A 9mm might work well in a pistol for close range, but throw that in a 995 or Kel-Tec Sub 2000, and you have a medium range weapon with about the same force as a .357 that can potentially go up to 300 yards! .22.... well, we won't get into just HOW AWESOME that round is. Just know that you need one. The ammo is light, common, easy to fire no matter what your health or body type is and it's inexpensive.

Of course, this is just MY theory. Then again, if I were in Europe I would supplant 9mm with .32 but that's the ONLY change I'd make to that list.
+1

I guess we'd all like to bug in, but sometimes a disaster forces you to move, such as a lightning strike and fire in your house. You might have time to grab that B.O.B and book out. If you have the luxury of bugging in, then this issue is moot, stockpile whatever you wish!

However, if I had to leave in a hurry and could only take 1 gun... it would be a VERY small 22LR revolver or pistol. I think a multi chamber derringer is a nice choice here.

If the wife could be convinced to take along a piece.. it would be the C9. Now we would have 2 very common calibers in pistol. We wouldn't be attracting the kind of attention that you would if you tried to lug around an AR15 or AK47. Yet we are still armed well enough for most self defense, and could hunt small game.

If I could take 3 weapons, I would carry the 22LR pistol or revolver, the wife would carry the C9, and I would take my 12gauge pump, carried in a molle scabard on my pack. 12 gauge shells are available everywhere, and would still be if ITEOTWAWKI.

If I could carry 4... which isn't looking likely. I would add a 22LR rifle with optics. I wouldn't need extra ammo, as I would already have the ammo for my handgun. The rifle and optics would give the ability to reach out and touch something if needed and is quiet enough to not attract a lot of attention.

In the unlikely event that we would try to bug out with more than that, I would have to convince the wife to carry the 22 LR rifle, and would put a nice, reliable AK47 in my hands. The AR15 is a great weapon system, as long as you don't get any mud, dirt, or water in it. :roll: I think the .223 ammo and parts would be a bit more common, but then again, AK47's don't break... Sorry, but in ITEOTWAWKI situation, AK47 rules.

But to think about lugging all of that around is just plain ridiculous. I'm fairly healthy, but that would just slow me down too much and keep our hands too busy to handle any other tasks.

I think when we talk about bugging out, for me I'd prefer, small, light, and common. To add reliable seems self obvious. You can borrow my acronym S.L.A.C. It's not trademarked.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
We live in the boonies and are planning on bugging in , but if the need arises that would force us to bug out we would carry 2 Ruger 10/22's , a Browning Buckmark , and a Ruger auto pistol .
Spot

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.