How Many Here are NRA Members?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by NWPatriot, Apr 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

I finally signed up with the NRA today, as a life member (got a good deal by just calling them). I've held off on doing this before because I'm typically not one to take memberships in political groups. But I'm getting more and more upset by politicians and individuals that want to take away our constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. So, thank you to former mayor Bloomberg and his like-minded flunkies - I'm now a proud NRA member for life.

So, just curious, how many others here are members?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

I am. while i dont fully endorse everything they do, i still stand behind the majority of it.

3. Smaug

Smaug Smaug Member

I am. Just joined last week. I also dont like the direction our elected oficials are going. I felt that is was time to be counted in the group I feel most comfortable with, not neccessarily NRA, but with the Right to Bear Arms folks. I even only wear short sleeve shirts too.

4. Been a member for 2 years now. No other group gets as much credit and therefore can do as much for the 2nd. And that's why I will stay a member.

I also love American rifleman :D

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Member, NRA certified RSO, Rifle and Shotgun instructor.

6. I've been a member for about 12 years. Recently, I joined the GOA but will continue being a member of the NRA. After all, the NRA is the 800 pound gorilla in the room and they are the biggest thorn in the side of the ant-gun cabal.

7. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

I have to agree with what some folks have said - I'm not always 100% behind what the NRA does, but they are the most powerful and influential group on the national stage when it comes to 2nd amendment concerns. That's why I decided to put my membership there - I think they can do the most good. I may still consider groups such as the SAF at some point as well.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I was...
    I joined late 2012 after all the gun drama started as a protest vote.
    Not satisfied with how the NRA has handled things so I declined to renew for this year

9. Once a long time ago but never again. The NRA does some good things, but it boils down the NRA is a business who's prime purpose it to make money by lobbying. At one time the NRA lobbied and supported the very gun control they claim to now be against. And the NRA supports more gun laws, not less. Those laws put limits on the right to bear arms. Almost all of the concealed carry laws ARE gun control. Though they are better than no carry at all, the privilege can be taken away anytime legislatures feel obligated to by public sentiment.

There is only ONE gun law IMO and the opinion of many others. That law is the second amendment and cannot be legislated away. The courts, the politicians, and the NRA have perverted what the second amendment really is about. The right to bear arms without government infringement, any government infringement. It is not about training, not about hunting, not eve about self defense. It is about removing or limiting the governments ability to subject citizens. How can a privilege do that when it is controlled by that very government.

10. I am ..... just renewed :)
    up yours bloomberg

11. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The NRA & I made a deal a long time ago. I will keep my $$$$ & they can keep their PROPAGANDA!!!

At the end of the day, We will all be fighting in the street to keep our guns, it is just a matter when & where?

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

What kind of deal did you get, if you don't mind my asking?

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, and working on Basic Rifle Instructor.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Back2School

Back2School Member

Like many others, I support their fight for 2nd amendment rights, but it feels like a donation to me. Not a big fan of American Rifleman (seemed to be more of a catalogue that had information that was a month out of date) and I never really used any other services.

I haven't renewed yet and the only reason I can think to is to put $$$ in for support of the 2nd.

14. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

I am, the gun club I joined requires that you belong to the NRA
    I get the American rifleman magazine free there are a lot of things they do
    for us gun enthusiasts.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

And then they got a lot of new members who were against what the old members had supported. Those new members voted in new leadership which supported the new ideas and didn't support the old, and those new members influenced old leadership to shift their positions. Now the NRA no longer supports restrictions that it did in the past.

Stop thinking of the NRA as a single hypocritical flipflopping (really old and wrinkled) person. The members drive NRA policy. By removing your voice from the NRA, you forfeit the right to complain about their current (or past) position. It's like those people who refuse to vote and then ***** about the POTUS. ;)

During my Grandpa's day, the NRA was all about rifles and hunting. Handguns were secondary and CC wasn't even on the map. But it's not my grandpa's NRA anymore. Now I am the NRA and it'll darn well go where I and the rest of the members want; and that's not "protect our right to shoot bambi, screw everything/everyone else."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  16. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

It's a nice thought, and I do agree with much of what you said. But the fact of the matter is that the 2nd (as well as others) can and do get legislated. You may not like it, but government already has far too much control and there are no signs of that letting up - too many people support more government and keep voting to allow them to take more and more from us. Without groups like the NRA, it's just about impossible for an individual to try and keep up with all of the different attempts to take our rights away, as well as try to affect change on a national level.

Just as you and SWAGA said, I also don't agree with everything they do - honestly I can't point to any group, political party or cause that I would agree with 100%. But when you've got folks like Bloomberg who have the means to force his ways on the rest of us, despite what the constitution says, we need a way to band as many pro-2A supporters as possible. At the moment, I see the NRA as the strongest way to do that. As for the things in the NRA I may not like, as a member, I have the opportunity to express that to them directly - whether they listen to me or not. In this political climate, ideology is nice, but money and numbers is what really makes a difference.

Sandy Hook was a big turning point with regard to 2A rights.

17. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

I simply called them and asked what they had available for lifetime memberships. They were able to offer me $600 for the lifetime membership. It could have been $500, but that was only available if you make the full payment, which I couldn't do at this time.

18. Back2School

Back2School Member

Just saw on facebook $500 lifetime memberships through April 27th.

19. rbarna94

rbarna94 Member

That about sums up how my membership went

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum