Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 45 cal carbine for about a year now and have only put about 300 rounds through it. Great gun, no problems. I must say I'm impressed and it's now my favorite shooter. I'm just curious how many rounds have you long time 45 carbine shooters gotten with your original firing pin. Is a replacement something I should have on hand, especially with all these shortages? Your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
The FP will usually last thousands of rounds. However, there have been occasions where it has gotten bent. Usually this is because of a strange double-feed that gets up under the FP.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
What Kirk said. All things being equal, it SHOULD last a life time, unless you unleash some serious hellstorm.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Call Mom and she'll send you a couple free. Nobody's said anything about not dry firing, has that changed???

"They" say, do not dry fire, at least that's the last word I got.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
Call Mom and she'll send you a couple free. Nobody's said anything about not dry firing, has that changed???

"They" say, do not dry fire, at least that's the last word I got.
What? You can dry fire them

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
I thought it could damage the extractor/firing pin or some such thing :confused:
I have read that some believe the firing pin's flange impacting against the ZAMAK behind the firing pin hole will cause some cracking in there over time. While the firing pin springs do have some force behind them, it seems that it would take more dry firing than you could do in a lifetime to cause that to happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All in all, I shouldn't have anything to worry about then. I don't dry fire and with the ammo shortage, my shooting is down to bare minimum, so I should have many years of service with this firing pin. Also, I don't modify any internal parts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Happy shooting!

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I've had my 45 cal carbine for about a year now and have only put about 300 rounds through it. Great gun, no problems. I must say I'm impressed and it's now my favorite shooter. I'm just curious how many rounds have you long time 45 carbine shooters gotten with your original firing pin. Is a replacement something I should have on hand, especially with all these shortages? Your thoughts.
I would have a spare to all high stress parts for your weapon. Firing pin, springs, etc. Just off to the side somewhere, where you can get them.

The firing pin plays double duty as the ejector and firing pin so, it is under a lot of stress. It should not break for thousands of rounds but Shizzle Happens.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Not sure on the 45cal, but I have over 6,000 rounds on my 995. No problems.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
It is also the extractor and can get bent.
Not really the correct term. It is the EJECTOR. The extractor is a claw that tugs on the rim to extract the cartridge. The firing pin pushes it out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mom would prolly send you one if you called them and asked the very same question. Mine's had a few thousands rounds through it (9mm) and it just keeps on going "bang". I think that means a bullet came out the barrel but I can never see it. Your gun has a lifetime warranty. They honor it.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Call and ask for a new spring kit every year and save the old one as a spare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts