How much is too much? GHB

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by shubbell, Sep 13, 2015.

1. shubbell

shubbell Member

I am currently revamping my GHB...again. I am curious as to what you all do? I travel anywhere from 1/2 hr from home to over 8 hrs via vehicle. I do not want to take my BOB everywhere. I am a minimalist by nature, however I feel I need to pack more ammo in the GHB than I probably would ever need. My beloved Henry AR-7 has been placed back in the safe for now. I figure I would probably need something a little more offensive/defensive than procuring. Not that it couldn't be used defensively.. for those ready to jump down my throat. I just figure my ccw and a carbine that can share the same mag makes sense.
    As this is a HP forum, let me get this out of the way. I really do love my HP's. They are just not the best for this situation. So...for those that pack more than a .22, how much ammo do you carry? I am looking at a situation that one has to be on foot, not in a vehicle.

Thanks.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

50 rds of 9mm should do it. Keltec pf-9 & a sub 2000?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    GHB for a rural area, a .22 might be enough. Most folks in rural areas aren't the folks that would rob or kill you just for being there, even if the S did HTF.

For an urban area...you might need a Drako and 120 rounds...:cool:

My truck has an HP 4595 carbine in it, with four mags, plus a 1911 with 3. So, just about 57 rounds.

My other vehicles don't have it, unless I put it in there. So basically, it's what I'm carrying. Could be a P3AT and 6 rounds, or a g20 and 30...rarely do I put a rifle in, just to go to town.

4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I presently tote 47rds of 9. I was wanting to up that and let my MagPul G17 17rd mags stay at home and substitute some Thermold 22rders. They are crap and will thrown in a pile if I can't get them to work. Last road trip I took I took a 995TS with a bunch of preloaded mags. Thanksgiving trip I will take the Colt AR with a bunch of loaded mags.

5. shubbell

shubbell Member

MM. Glock .40 and Keltech.

I pretty much answered my own question last night. I went on 2 "rough" terrain hikes. One with what I "wanted" two with what "worked".

I agree with Ajole. For my local terrain, I am not worried about it. May throw in the Henry (50 rnds total) as I do travel more than 100 miles and that would be a trek. However, the natives are typically friendly and I have contacts along the way.

My concern is that I go into areas that I really do not know well. Yes I have a map and can use a compass. I do not plan on shooting my way out of Dodge. That is literal btw. But I would like to be able to if need be.

That said. I did my hike with 100 .40 rnds last night. (mind you, i am up at 0430 running with my dog every morning, so I am kind of in shape?). That sucked.
    I dropped down to 46 rnds in the bag. Hiked again. Big difference. That was 1 mag in the pistol, 1 in the carbine and a 31 rnd Happy Stick. I am going again tonight. Leaving off the happy stick and the 6-pack of beer (joke). Just going with 30 rnds. Plus belt + pistol which is another 30. That changes based on AO. This is max load. I might drop it again as a fire fight is not in my MO.

Weight vs. firepower is around 3lbs max. This is a GHB, not a BOB, so keep that in mind.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    8 hours could be up around 400 miles, give or take. My KelTec sub2000 would be a better GHB setup than the HP, if only for concealability. I have 2 20+ round sticks, and a now 13 round stock mag. Nearly 60 rounds in mags, etc. ready to rock, but I still don't have a matched sidearm, mag wise, but could carry the JCP. B.O.B.? Use the JCP and 4095... I am working up a suh-WEEET new sight arrangement for the JCP, it uses a Monstrum 4x lit reticle ultra-compact scope, with a pass thru base. I found a UTG Ultra-Compact (catching a theme here? ;)) aperture sight, all I need to do is lower the front sight a bit to match it! Nice and Compact sighting arrangement, could even get it to work with no mods on the front sight with the LongShot raised rail....200" taller, even though the difference is a bit over 3/8" :confused:

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    It's rare that anyone ever says, "I wish we'd brought LESS Ammo" now, isn't it?
    Just saying i'd try and find a way to carry all that I think I'd really want, even if it
    is a tac vest stashed in the trunk or an extra belt. GHB should be a COMFORTABLE
    and large enough backpack, or equivalent. (single sling, etc. but focus on Comfort)

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

This is where the little kel tec sub 2000 shines in 9 or 40 and sharing mags with many popular carry pistols with more rumored to be on the horizon. I'm guessing xd and M&P to complement the Glock, s&w, beretta keltec, and sig magazine versions already produced.

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

mole you can swap out your mag catch to any of the other .40 caliber magazine versions accept the glock the grip on that sub is different than any of the others. Also on the ktog site there was a thread where a couple guys modified xd mags to work with the i think sig mag catch maybe beretta might take some digging.

I think you said you have the beretta 96 version but i'm probably wrong.

10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I work a 1 1/2 hour drive from home. Keep a GHB in the car. I keep shelter, food, water, first aid kit, cash, medicines, fire starter, change of clothes, flashlight, spare batteries, knife, 50 rounds for my edc, .22 and 100 rounds of .22lr. I keep this in an old ALICE pack in case I can not drive and have to hoof it. I rotate out the perishables weekly.

I also have what is on my person. My EDC, both firearm with a couple of spare magazines and folding knife.

Sounds like a lot, but be thoughtful in what you purchase, you will be surprised at how compact your bag can be.

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Since I'm now less than 5 miles from work, and pilot my own truck that I can park in my driveway,my worries are not so much in the getting there, but what to do once there.

12. shubbell

shubbell Member

In a vehicle setting, I am not concerned as much. I drive a very no descript Mazda. Soccer mom car. It is a turbo however;-) That is different than having to go on foot.

Yes Underground. Many miles might be involved. I am pretty much screwed at that distance regardless of what I carry if I am on foot. So the Mazda is packed heavy on everything, just because I basically live in it. So once again it comes down to what if there was no mode of transportation and one had to travel those 400 +- miles by foot?

I dig the JCP and other carbines, not a one of them fit in a MaxP Kodiak like the S2K does, walking into a strange town toting an AR look a like is probably not the best idea. Of course walking into a strange town isn't either....lol.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    I am on that mag catch, but I might be already on the best one, and YES, it is a B96! Seems the Hi-Power mags fit, or really close, I just had the 9mm ones to try. IMO the common "Euro-Spec" double stacks are what mine likes, and I can prolly find lots of these if I start looking. 2 more hi-caps and I'm good to go with the Sub2K
    Might as well just carry the JCP with it, unless I luck into a B96 for mag share. ;)

Shubbell, unless it's a pretty direct EMP or something else that kills your car,
    you will likely just be able to drive. Sounds like a GOOD PLAN, That is how I am approaching it. PLAN on Driving, but have an alternate way of "hoofing it" ;)

14. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Does not necessarily take an EMP, or something of the sort. 1989, Hurricane Hugo. Was about 2 weeks before we could get gas IIRC. I was in South Carolina, able to get back home to North Carolina. We were OK obviously, but I learned a lot from that storm. That was the start of my prepping.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

Dang hiking with a bunch of stuff! In college the guy across the hall from me was training for Ranger school. I forget what he had in the canvas back pack. He had an M14 stock with a 1-1 14" galvanized pipe full of lead for the "rifle." He got up at 4am and went running.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Mole needs to do that. Load UP and LOAD OUT! :D

Anyone ever read the Load Out Room??? on Soldier of Fortune :D

17. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Hey, Super Mole! Could you post links for those? That's exactly the way I would like to set up my 995ts.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

I got my rifle length MagPul MOE hand guard in the mail. Now I am eyeing taking the carbine length one that will be a "take off" and fit it on a HP carbine.............:stir: :D

19. shubbell

shubbell Member

Not worried about hurricanes here, however, I do live or travel in tornado alley. So that is a concern. After several hikes with different loads, I decided that my happy sticks will be attached to my console, so there is 62 rnds in the vehicle. 2 15 rnds in my bag, one in the well and one in the access slot of the sling bag. 1 in my CCW and an extra on person. Should the car break down, I have a lock box that the happy sticks will go in and I will carry what is in my bag and on me. 60 rnds. That is reasonable and keeps me light of foot. Thoughts?

20. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I used to carry my shotgun and 50 shot shells (mixed load) in my truck but, since the VA hospital has posted the No Weapons signs up, I've had to rethink my weapons placement.

Putting a shotgun and ammo in and out of the vehicle several times a month was difficult.

Not having a weapon available on those days leaves me feeling nekkid.

*shrugs*

eldar