Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am using corn cob media, and i have been tumbling my lrn rounds to remove excess alox. my media is now black. how often do you guys wash your media and how exactly do you do it???

·
Registered
37 Posts
well, the wy i decided that my media was too far gone is simply it wasn't working so good anymore, taking way to long to get the casings clean.
But what i did before i changed it to try and clean was really simple, i just found a nice clean 5 gallon bucket, filled it up with some nice hot water and a few drops of dish soap and dumped the media in the hot water and swirled it around and let it sit for a few minutes, then found an old window screen and dumped the dirty water out and gave it one more bath in some clean hot water and then dumped it out again and spread it out on a garbage bag in the basement to dry.
I was looking in wallyworld shortly after i had cleaned my media only to find out that arm and hammer sells a new natural kitty litter at wallyworld now thats made out of finely ground corn cob, and it comes in a huge bag too, i think it was around 8 bucks or close to it, sure cheaper than buying the stuff from a gun store and works just as good.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i am using corn cob media, and i have been tumbling my lrn rounds to remove excess alox. my media is now black. how often do you guys wash your media and how exactly do you do it???
i never have washed mine. i throw a dryer sheet in about 5th or 6th load and it abosrobs alot of the black gunk out of the media.

SW

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I've never washed my media, I just "recycle" it. I used to dump old media into a 5 gallon bucket once it gets too dirty to use any more and then added a scoopful of it into new media as I go. What this does is spreads out the polishing compound I use sometimes and helps to keep the media useful for a longer period of time.

Here recently, I haven't used the polishing compound as it gums up my tumbler, so I just remove a scoop of old media and add a new scoop as needed. Of course, I keep the old stuff and recycle it in reverse order whenever I switch out the media all together. If I put a load of brass in the tumbler and it's not clean within an hour, that media needs to be changed. Just my $0.02.

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Clean it? Recycle it? I thought you just threw it away when it got too dirty and replaced it with fresh. :confused:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
Clean it? Recycle it? I thought you just threw it away when it got too dirty and replaced it with fresh. :confused:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
If you don't use it that often, that's a good way to go. If you reload a LOT, or use lots of additives that build up before the media deteriorates too far, you can reduce costs by maximizing media life through washing, etc.

The problem is, if re-using/washing it reduces its effectiveness by making it too soft or less abrasive than required, then it's probably not worth doing it.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,073 Posts
I use 3 used dryer sheets to get out the carbon and dirt. Keeps the dust down to. Change my media once or twice a year. If I have brass loaded with dirt or mud I wash it first and dry it in the oven

·
Registered
171 Posts
Use 20/40 corn. Little dust.
When it gets to require more than a hour to clean the cases, throw the media away.
I bought a 40 lb bag about 10 years ago for $25 and still have at least ¾ of it in the bag.
Remember, the grit not only gets dirty, it also gets smoother and stops cleaning as well even you do clean it.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,599 Posts
Use 20/40 corn. Little dust.
When it gets to require more than a hour to clean the cases, throw the media away.
I bought a 40 lb bag about 10 years ago for $25 and still have at least ¾ of it in the bag.
Remember, the grit not only gets dirty, it also gets smoother and stops cleaning as well even you do clean it.
...but how much reloading go you do? :D

That is like someone saying "how often should I change my undies"
and you tell them "2" :eek: :rofl: ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
>...but how much reloading go you do?

About 10,000 rounds up until about 3 years ago and about 5000 rounds a year in my retirement now.
What does this have to do with my answer?
Is this the way we judge an answer?

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts

About 10,000 rounds up until about 3 years ago and about 5000 rounds a year in my retirement now.
In this case, yes. You gave an answer about how often you change your media, but not how much you use it. It is reasonable to assume that media which is used more often will need to be changed more frequently than media which is infrequently used.

It's akin to asking how many days of driving until your car needs its 3,000 mile oil change. Well, how many miles a day do you drive?

It's certainly nothing personal against you, nor is it questioning your experience or capabilities in this regard, merely trying to get the missing information. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts

See how this sounds:

I've NEVER changed my media.
But, I have loaded 400 rounds, total, in 15 years.

Vs

I have been using the same 10 lbs of media for ten years, and I do 10,000 rounds per year.

Quite the difference, no?:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
>When it gets to require more than a hour to clean the cases, throw the media away.

OK, but my answer is shown above. The rest was just my way of saying that 40 lbs of media is more than dirt cheap and will last a long time.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
>When it gets to require more than a hour to clean the cases, throw the media away.

OK, but my answer is shown above. The rest was just my way of saying that 40 lbs of media is more than dirt cheap and will last a long time.
No, that's your alternate solution to cleaning media. The original question, filtered down from the OP is, how long does it take you to reach the point where you want to clean it? Using 10lbs of media over 10 years is an answer to an unasked consumption question.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK, if you want to play games, how about 5000 cases at a minimum unless you dump you cases in mud?
Really, pick any other nits lately?
Besides, the real answer was: you don't waste time and money cleaning media period--you throw it away. So, even if it takes only twenty cases, I would still throw it away.
How many pissing contests do you get in during a week?

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Besides, the real answer was: you don't waste time and money cleaning media period--you throw it away. So, even if it takes only twenty cases, I would still throw it away.
I like this answer.

How many pissing contests do you get in during a week?
You're new here. :D

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.