Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am the proud owner of a HP C9. This is my 1st pistol and I haven't had a chance to shoot it. If I don't have time today or tomorrow I won't get a chance until next week. :mad: I haven't shot a pistol since I was 12 and had a few questions.
1.) How often should I shoot? I know I need a lot of practice but don't exactly know how often I should go to the range.

2.) What should I take to the range besides ammo? ie. glasses, ear plugs etc.

3.) Does anyone carry their pistol in a shoulder holster? I bought a belt holster but it sticks out too much. I won't be wearing it to much until I get my CH permit.

4.) What should I say when people talk down about my HP. All creative comebacks are helpful.

This a great forum and I appreciate any response. Be well and shoot straight. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
1.) How often should I shoot? I know I need a lot of practice but don't exactly know how often I should go to the range.
The creative answer is as much as you can. Realistically I shoot probably 2x a month during the warm months, and maybe once or once every 2 months during the winter. That's about all the money/time allows for. Sometimes a little more often if I'm going with friends or we have some sort of "shoot" planed, but these are the exceptions.

2.) What should I take to the range besides ammo? ie. glasses, ear plugs etc.
A basic cleaning kit and a few tools is a good idea. I like to have a few things along in case anything breaks or gets stuck.

3.) Does anyone carry their pistol in a shoulder holster? I bought a belt holster but it sticks out too much. I won't be wearing it to much until I get my CH permit.
I don't CC my C9 so someone else wil have to weigh in on this one.

4.) What should I say when people talk down about my HP. All creative comebacks are helpful.
Tell them the truth, if your has been flawless, say so. If yours shoots bulls eyes, say so. One of the ones I like to use just in general conversation is, "yeah sucks having to shoot an inexpensive American made gun covered by a lifetime warranty, and still have money for lunch,.. ". Not something I use, but someone has a signature line around here that says something like, "Hipoint, break into my house to see if it's junk." or something like that.

This a great forum and I appreciate any response. Be well and shoot straight. :devilsidesmile:
Thank you and welcome aboard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Corelogik! Well I went to the range and I SUCK! :'( I shot all over the place. My gun jamed 3 out of 8 mags, but I don't think I pushed the round all the way in the mag once. I am definitely hooked! :devilsidesmile: I can't wait to get back to the range. I have one fiften minutes away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I try to shoot as often as I can, and afford it. As it is, usually only 50 rounds a month, and thats usually through my 1911. If you are new to handguns, then try to get some instruction from people who have the experience to lend a hand. Also, try different grips, postures, finger to trigger positioning (more important than you think) and how to breath, calm down, sight, and just squeeze the trigger.
You will find once you get over the jitters, and calm down to enjoy seeing right where the rounds go when aimed, you always want to get better.
Be safe, be wary, and have fun!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I try to shoot as often as I can, and afford it. As it is, usually only 50 rounds a month, and thats usually through my 1911. If you are new to handguns, then try to get some instruction from people who have the experience to lend a hand. Also, try different grips, postures, finger to trigger positioning (more important than you think) and how to breath, calm down, sight, and just squeeze the trigger.
You will find once you get over the jitters, and calm down to enjoy seeing right where the rounds go when aimed, you always want to get better.
Be safe, be wary, and have fun!
I'd have to agree whole heartedly with that advice, I don't care how much experience you have, you can benefit from a good instructor, matter of fact, take as many classes as you can afford. One should never stop trying to gain more knowledge. And shoot as often as you can afford to, your shooting will improve.

If the case ever presents itself that you actually have to use a firearm to defend yourself or your family, having the training to respond automatically will give you the edge you may well need. That advice is drilled into anyone who has served in a combat arms role in the military, the more you train, the less you bleed in the real world.

Myself, I joined a shooting club with an indoor and outdoor range, and generally put rounds down range every other week at most, usually at least 50 rounds, more if I have time. I'll go with my C-9, my Springfield Armory XD in 9mm, and my 1911. Ideally, I like to put at least some rounds down range with all of them each time I shoot. Hell, 9mm ammo can be bought for around 10 bucks for 50 rounds. I figure it costs me like 20 cents per shot with my 9mm, around 16 cents with my 1911, and damnit, it's fun!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just like anything else....the more you practice the better you get. There is alot of knowledge to take in, the more the better. From reading your post, sounds to me that it has been awhile since You last shot a gun (12 yrs. old). IF I were You, I would look into joining a class on.....Basic Gun to start which will teach you, parts of a gun; how to handle; gear; etc. After that you may want to check out the next classes available. Yes, I know you can get answers here but a NRA class can teach You the proper techniques since an instructor will be working with You. I started about 1 1/2 years ago without ever firing a gun. Bought my first HiPoint, got my CCW, took a NRA In The Home Protection, Out Of The Home Protection courses. Bought eye/ear protection, gun cabinet, IWB holster. Now I have more guns and just recently purchased a gun Safe. I have about 5 different holsters for different carrying. It is great to ask which holster is best or sucks but in the end YOU need to decide which will WORK for YOU. I also started building my own firing area in my back yard which will be finished this spring. I try and make it a habit of picking up a box of 100 ammo (in my case, WWB 9mm) everytime I visit WallyWorld OR store. In the summer I would practice for about an hour on a saturday. Now I'm starting to look into reloading my own to save $$$$$$. The winter time not much practicing at all due to second job.
Stay at the range where you are now and keep practicing. Keep tabs on how far you're shooting from, which kind of ammo you're using, stance, grip of the gun and stuff like that. All these factors and more are important. Ask all and as many questions as you like here on this forum. Just remember, you don't know everything in one day. It takes time and practice. Don't try and rush things thinking you're going to hit everything at once.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
423 Posts
when i first got my C9 i put about 800 rds through it in the first month. I just couldn't get enough of that gun. My trips to the range have been less since then but i still try and take every chance i can get to head out to the range. I am even going to try and make it out there today, weather permitting.

+1 to what carelogik said about HP bashing. just tell the truth. My C9 will jam every once in a while but fires flawlessly enough of the time that i think it is a great gun. just keep practicing and if you think it is a great gun then let the people now that is how you feel

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Some need more and some [like me] don't need as much. I have not been shooting for 2 months. My last time quailifying, and my scores are always consistant [Ya I know BRAG, BRAG, BRAG, ;)]

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Shoot as much as you can afford. Shoot as often as you want to. Practice will let you improve.
I recommend doing a YouTube search on videos showing proper stance, grip, and tips on shooting.
Information is good. Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I really cannot add too much more than what others have done on here. Just shoot as much as possible, and perfect what you are comfortable with. Maintain the pistol by factory standards and you will have a blaster that will out-shoot the snobbish guns 3x and up of the cost of your HP, and you'll have alot more fun doing it.

As far as shoulder carry: I really don't have much of a useful application for that. I went and sewed a cheap nylon holster into the upper flap of my messenger bag to make it easier to access and carry when I'm on the motorbike or in the cab. Beyond work, I honestly don't carry a weapon (because of many personal motivations). When I'm working with the cab company, I'm a rolling ATM so that holster setup works for me since my gear bag is wedged between my driver's seat and radio/dispatch satnav.

And for a rebuttle against those who insist on slamming your HP: Just look at them, load up a magazine, fire a compliment downrange and bring the target back. Set it in front of them and walk away. The gun works, and it threw it's lead at the intended target. Anyone who tries to dispute pretty basic evidence like that are simply sheeple trying to justify spending 4x the price on an item that does the same thing yours does.

AND, you can afford ammo. Actions speak louder than words (unless I get ahold of a bunch of words and get motivated :devilsidesmile:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
"How often should you shoot?"- As often as you feel comfortable with. With me personally it is a great stress reliever. But right now I shoot whenever I can afford it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always throw a towel, a bottle of water, and some Klenex into the range bag. The towel is great when it's hot and the Klenex is needed when it's cold at tiems lol. A knife is a good idea too.

Shoot as often as you can. Like anything, practice helps. You also need to run a couple hundred rounds through a HiPoint before it smooths out usually.

Somehow, when challenged about HiPoints, the spirit of John Wayne overcomes me and I can shoot 3" groups freehand at 20 yds. But only once lol. Once you get comfortable with the gun, you will probably be able to shoot at least as well as the guys with the expensive guns. Usually, when they see the gun working, they want to shoot it....then you can say, "Sure, no problem, I bought extra ammo with the money I saved....".

Splitter

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well, golly. That about covers it! No surprise here.

I'll jump in with one other thought - practice. It's great. BUT!!!!!!!!!! Practicing something wrong. Or practicing when too tired to do it right. Or practicing what you'll not use the gun for......... all can be fun but not much value added to your objectives.

If you bought to hit X's at 10 yards, under controlled conditions - practice that. If you bought it to stop an attacker at 5-7 yards - practice that. If you bought it to carry - practice that. If you bought it for home defense - not only practice that, BUT, practice defending at home!!!! Not loaded of course. But ask yourself, where is my defensive position? Where are the conceal spots? The safety spots (i.e. those that will TAKE a shot in MY direction)? How will I get the gun when I need it? All that stuff. If you're gonna carry, do you practice drawing? How about retreating while preparing to shoot?

On grip, stance, etc. - read, video, classes, good shooters - get help. Get it right and something that works for you, then practice THAT!

Lots of shooting against wrong objectives, the wrong way, etc. is just throwing lead down the range - Yes, it is fun, but you may be looking for something more.

Good luck and keep at it. Tell us how you're doing. We ALL learn from each other no matter what the experience level!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
you should shoot enough to be expertly proficeint with your chosen firearms, however this is impossible for most of us. i shoot expert with a chosen few of my guns and the rest are just at teh acceptable mark. its a function of time and dollars spent vs, you proficency needs.

my rimfire self defense pistols i shoot weekly when time allows. usually this is every week in the spring summer and fall and about twice a month in the winter. otherwise i shoot other guns a couple times per month mostly for testing reloads. i also have steel silhouette season in teh summer which is usually about every other weekend and also the occasional game control trip to the farm.

a typical range session for self defense is 300 rounds in my rimfire pistols, 50-100 rounds from a centerfire pistol and usually a box or two with a rifle or shotgun as time allows.

SW

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I don't shoot nearly as often now as I used to. Now I shoot .22 and 9mm mostly since I'm holding onto my other ammo until I see how things go. I figure the rifles are zeroed and I've shot them enough to be proficient with their operation and hit with them, so good enough for now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.