How screwed am I?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Bull, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Well, took the boy shooting today, and about 50 rounds into shooting my Colt 80 series 1911, the slide locked up..... Can't move it more than maybe a 1/8 th of an inch, so I can't get can't get the slide release to line up with the cutout to remove it..... And bonus!... There's still a round chambered.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

1. you bought a Colt :mad:
    2. The case is stuck in the chamber and locked up one the extractor.
    3. I would bet the recoil spring could be broke.
    Lube it up good even round the chamber, now this will sound weird but take a rubber mallet and tap the rear the slide forward and then tap on top of the slide by the rear sight backward. You know of course to point it down range the whole time if it doesnt break free keep trying to rack it. It should break free at some point. If not gun smith will have to do it. Did you get the mag out or is it stuck also. You might be able to pry it open through the mag well but I DO NOT suggest you do it let a gunsmith do it.

3. moona11

One of my P11's likes to do this some times with WWB and I have to pull the sh!t out of it to clear it.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I had a similar lock-up with the Browning HP, and had to drive it further back to align the breakdown holes... no round chambered, however. The guide rod was upside down.

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Can you get the mag. out?

You can also try and push the slide back by putting the tip of the slide (with the barrel not touching) on a solid corner and push hard. Just the slide in contact, not the barrel.

Yes, you have a chance of a discharge, so set this up for a misfire. At least you will have a firm hold on the grip. This worked for me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Is the round in it still hot?
    1911's are pretty simple to troubleshoot:

1. Did the thumb safety get pushed upwards and jam?
    2. Remove the barrel bushing and spring, then pull the barrel forward to see if it will link up.
    3. Try pushing down on the barrel hood while pulling the slide rearward
    4. If none of these work, the link pin may have broken.

If the link pin broke, you are going to need to cut the slide stop to get the slide off.If you have never done this, or unsure off how to, let you local gun smith do it for you. It is not that uncommon for a link pin to crack and stop the barrel from falling.

If the round in the chamber is hot.... be very careful doing any of these actions! If it is hot, take it to a gun smith unless you are experienced with working on 1911's.

7. Bull

I have the barrel bushing and spring out.... The barrel will lock solid when slide is closed, and drops a little and wiggles when I move it towards open. Made sure the thumb safety was on the off position and completely removed it... And yup, it's a hot round....

8. Bull

Thanks guys!

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Is it all better now? :)

10. moona11

i think he shoot his thumb off so he cant type:eek:

11. Bull

No...... Just thanking you guys for helping..... I'm at work, and it's in my safe

12. moona11

Be careful with it Bull

13. Bull

Thanks.... I'm about done trying, and going to take it somewhere..... I was curious if it was catastrophic or not, doesn't sound like it.....

14. moona11

ME to I'm Playing Lt. today so its all about sitting on my ass drinking coffee and telling B!tches what to do. :D:D I am God here me roar meow

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I've had the same thing first time shooting with my 12-45.
    Shooting steel case ammo and the extractor slipped of the rim.
    Slide stuck till I put a cleaning rod down the barrel and tapped the shell.
    Easy fix.......but I had an empty shell in there..you sure you have a live round?

16. moona11

Are you telling him to look down the barrell? Thought you liked Bull? I get it your after his wife good call;););)

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

Suggestion...if you go with the push against corner of table, or hit with rubber mallet ideas, get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it halfway with damp sand then the rest of the way with dry sand and aim the barrel into the bucket. In the rare case of a discharge, it will keep the bullet from going thru your floor or richocheting.

18. moona11

That works to but I was thinking of doing it at the range. Did ya notice Swaga trying to kill off Bull. :eek::eek::eek:

19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So looking down the barrel will make the gun go off?
    After hours of sitting in there....?
    Really?
    I feel edumecated...;)

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

According to your kind it might even jump off the table and go on the attack.