Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I'm very new to the gun deal ,but i have purchased a c9 and i love it,also i have purchased a used .22 marline i love it also its a great looking gun other than about a 2 inch spot on the barrel its kinda rusting,whats the best kind of bluing without taking it apart,and what is your experience with it.
Thanks David

·
Registered
131 Posts
You may not have to re-blue. If the rust is minor you can work the rust with 000 steel wool and gun oil. I've read that transmission fluid and brake fluid also work real well. They don't harm the bluing but can destroy the finish on the wood. I have never tried the ATF or BF method, so do so at your own risk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just re blued an old winchester 190 .22 it was actually very easy,I bought the birchwood caseys's super blue it costs about $7.00.What I did was use a new scotchbrite pad very lightly wet it and proceeded to rub off all the rust that had accumulated when rubbing be sure to do so around the barrel not lengthwise or up and down the barrel as this will scratch against the machine marks and will never look right again.After getting all the rust off I rubbed all the areas down with gun scrubber (alchohol) to get as much residue and oil as I could off the metal.Last step I simply rubbed on the blueing,cam 8)e out great, the bottle says you can go over it if its not dark enough but I found one time was plenty so I stopped there.Also after the gun is freshly blued it looks dried out with some kind of white residue I found that if you rub it down with hoppes it takes that residue off and looks great.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Search the Brownells website, or youtube I think has the vid as well. They show how to use their (the Brownells) bluing solution.

I am not a fan of the BC stuff (unless maybe they changed it). I see it on guns I buy all the time (you can't miss it, it comes off with your fingernail)... it is like paint or something. Bluing is a corrosion process, not paint.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use some stuff called formula 44/40 . I like to put the gun on top of my wood stove to warm it up . the heat opens up the pores in the metal. then apply the bluing to the metal with a paper towel . turns out almost as good as factory. then oil it up several times.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.