Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After receiving the divine inspiration from Budddha (yeah...lame joke) I decided to make my own DIY pistol case. I'd been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing his it made me think that instead of making the box from scratch, why not use something common. I went to Wally World and picked up this Vaultz 128CD binder for $30 and some change.

After getting it home, I took my wire cutters to the rivets on the inside that hold the rings in place (there are 6 total), squeezed the rivet thing together so that the binder rings would slide over them and then super glued the rivets in so that there wouldn't be any ugly holes in the side and it would still look like a CD binder.

I took this after I had already removed the rings, I just set them back in place so you could see what it looked like before.

And here's after the rings are removed.

For the foam, I used some foam padding that came in a box that IBM shipped a replacement RAID controller in for our server at work. It just so happened that it was exactly the right size :D For those of you that aren't lucky enough to have to replace a RAID controller, you should be able to buy foam similar to this at a hobby store.

Now, all that's left is for you to place your weapon of choice over the foam, draw an outline, and cut out a 1" deep (or thereabout) trench in the shape of your pistol(s). This case will comfortably hold both my Glock and 1911. I'm going to get another piece of that foam from work so I can cut slots for my Ruger MKIII and CZ-52 and have an interchangeable case (until I buy another CD binder to mod :D) You should be able to fit 2 full size pistols and up to 5 smaller pistols in here. The netting on the left side of the case makes a nice mag holder :)

Here's a picture with the 1911 slot cut out, I used a utility knife with a razor blade to cut the outline (in about 5 square inch segments) then used my fingers to pull the foam out. It worked well. This whole project has taken about 45 mins so far, including writing this and taking pictures.

I hope this helps somebody out there. I know you can buy pistol cases for pretty cheap, but it's always fun to make them yourself!

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can get a fairly nice pistol case for $30.00 :cantlook:

If you had said your project was $5.00, I'd say good job 8), but you had some fun so that is worth something

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Well, I think it looks S W E E T and the outside looks a lot better than just the plain jane black molded plastic ones...... Yours has fancy C L A S S !!!!!!!!! nice job..............

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It does look nice. I have an aluminum case for my telescope eyepieces that looks a lot like that, which came with pluckable foam cell padding so you can customize the inside to fit whatever you like. I like the webbing on the top case-half... it would be useful for holding targets, owners manuals, etc. Good job.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think about using the webbing for targets and stuff, I think that's what it'll go for! Thanks for the idea gtv.

I really like the looks of this case as well. I almost feel like one of those hitmen from the movies carrying it around haha.

Here's some more pictures for the fun of it:

G

·
Nice work. That looks really good. It's also inspired me to make one too. I've decided to make mine from an old poker chip case. Thanks for the idea. :D

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Do not use marker to mark your outline!
Use chalk! It can be wiped away when you are done, and will look better... ;)

·
Banned
9,253 Posts
I think I may get my hands on a used glock fairly soon so I think Im going to make a case out of something like this but i dont think Im going to cut the foam padding any, my c9 fits in its case nicely with out the pointy pieces of the foam being pulled off.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chalk...that's a good idea! I have some other pieces of foam so I think I'll remake it.

godlessdustin, I got my Glock used (I think it was an police gun) I dunno how many times it's been fired but I couldn't be happier with it. I did change the slide release to an extended slide release, added a 3.5lb Shrererere(whatever) trigger connector and a recoil buffer to it to get it the perfect :) But I haven't ever had a jam or anything out of it.

·
Banned
9,253 Posts
Chalk...that's a good idea! I have some other pieces of foam so I think I'll remake it.

godlessdustin, I got my Glock used (I think it was an police gun) I dunno how many times it's been fired but I couldn't be happier with it. I did change the slide release to an extended slide release, added a 3.5lb Shrererere(whatever) trigger connector and a recoil buffer to it to get it the perfect :) But I haven't ever had a jam or anything out of it.
My girlfriends brother traded an old school nintindo and a box of games for a used glock, he is coming upon hard times and needs some money so I may have to take it from him, I have no idea what model it is but I do know it is a 9mm. I kninda like having a friend that has hand guns too, so I may just find something else.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll trade my NES and 7 games for another Glock :) Any takers?

I always feel safe with my Glock. I have a 17 (full size 9mm) and love it. A buddy of mine had a 19 (compact 9mm) and he really enjoyed it. The compact's grips are a bit too small for my rather large hands, but it would take the same mags as my 17 (including the 33rnd) so that's a plus for when you take it to the range. It is only 2 rounds, but around here the 17 mags are about $5 cheaper than the 19 mags.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Nice work. That looks really good. It's also inspired me to make one too. I've decided to make mine from an old poker chip case. Thanks for the idea. :D
i was thinking of doing that too. does anyone know where you can buy that foam liner?

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have a hobby store here (Hobby Lobby) that sells foam that is basically the same as what I'm using in mine. If you have a local arts and crafts store they should have some as well.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
We have a hobby store here (Hobby Lobby) that sells foam that is basically the same as what I'm using in mine. If you have a local arts and crafts store they should have some as well.
great thanks man. i guess i should get the pistol first :idea: but soon, oh god, please let it be soon

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good idea. I would like to try it on a rifle size case as well. My only thought would be next time to mark the foam on the backside to avoid having pen marks when you show it off. It does nothing for functionality, just aesthetics so no biggy really.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts