Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So suppressors are illegal in my state. Since I am getting my weapon for home defense I would like to make it quieter so I don't blow out my eardrums (or my kids') in the event I have to use the weapon inside the house.

What are my options to make the 995 quieter without a suppressor? From my limited research it sounds like compensators make the gun louder but some muzzle brakes/flash hiders make it quieter? Is that right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's 9mm, it's not going to blow out your ear drums. As for compensators making them louder, yes and no. They aren't necessarily louder, it's just more of the sound is directed towards the shooter. Have you shot your 995 yet? It really isn't super loud. It's not a silenced 22 shooting subsonic rounds, but I wouldn't be worried about blowing ear drums out with it.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I'm fairly certain he was being a bit rhetorical about actually blowing his ear drums out, and shooting a firearm inside a confined space without ear pro will definitely be exponentially louder than outdoors.

A sound forward brake could help, but it would be negligible.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
You could wear your ear pro to bed, but that would kinda go against hearing someone breaking in. But you might sleep better.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not going to be THAT loud or last very long.

Question for the group...if you lose your hearing while defending yourself can you get compensated (if you're still alive that is)?
(should go under my random thoughts post)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could wear your ear pro to bed, but that would kinda go against hearing someone breaking in. But you might sleep better.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not going to be THAT loud or last very long.

Question for the group...if you lose your hearing while defending yourself can you get compensated (if you're still alive that is)?
(should go under my random thoughts post)
I am more worried about traumatizing my kids or damaging their hearing. If there is something I can do to make it a bit quieter I would do it.

Who would compensate you? I would think the answer is no. Especially given that you are the cause of your own hearing damage and the damage is happening on your property.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
The (deceased?) perp’s estate? Wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

I was in an accident in 1976, the only eyewitness said it was an unmarked cop car going about 90mph that hit me and didn’t stop. Clipped the rear end of my 1970 Opel GT as he went around us.

I ended up suing John Doe, I forget the details but it had something to do with uninsured motorist fees or some clause in my insurance. I won several grand but had back pain for 40 years after.

Not sure if my/your homeowners policy would cover something like this but it might be worth looking in to.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
I am more worried about traumatizing my kids or damaging their hearing. If there is something I can do to make it a bit quieter I would do it.
Throw pillows make great suppressors.

I once fired off a .380 in my living room around 2am. I jumped and so did my parrot that was 6ft away from me. My wife and kids slept through it.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I am more worried about traumatizing my kids or damaging their hearing.
Honestly I think killing a human being in your house would be more traumatic to your kids then the sound of the shots.
Subsonic ammo is about the only thing you can do.

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
Shoot subsonic ammo will help
Probably not. As much of it is 147gr and too long to consistently, reliably chamber.

I have something similar to this on my 10.5" PSA AR9 pistol. https://www.jsesurplus.com/guntecar-15slimlinemicroconeflashcan9mm.aspx also have something similar on a 10.5" 5.56 pistol.

Anything going bang in the night is going to scare the kids. And silencers don't sound like they do in the movies. They are louder.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KVP-Muzzle-Devices-s/170082.htm

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
35,661 Posts
I’m thinking if your kids are in bed and aren’t in the room with you, their hearing will be fine. Guns are loud, but not that loud.

If you play more COD with them, or just play on your own with the volume up after they go to bed, they may not even notice. Tell your wife you’re helping the kids have a better future by playing games.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts

Who would compensate you? I would think the answer is no. Especially given that you are the cause of your own hearing damage and the damage is happening on your property.
If you shoot anybody in the house the kids and you will be traumatized

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
Shooting in a confined space is loud. Don't think it's not. But hearing loss vs death? It's a no brainer

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
If you’re really that concerned buy some electronic ear protection.
On sale they can be as low as $19.95 they suck but they work.
Enhance low level sounds and block shots. If you have time to grab your gun then you’ll need another 2 sec to put your ear cups on.
Open your mouth when you shoot aka scream...helps to some degree to equalize the pressure through your Eustachian tube.
For what it’s worth we have many here that have a 5.56 or 300BLK setup for HD.
I have a 12 gauge and a .308

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
There is a phenomenon that happens when you are a fired up in the moment your hearing sort of shuts down.

Don't get splitting hairs over stuff that doesn't matter.

Putting ear muffs on is wasting valuable time. Unless you can see where they are via camera. Still they might be entering your kids room. Waking up from a dead sleep the less you have to do might be a good thing. Regular non electronic ear muffs kills all sounds.

My place is small. No real need to even have a red dot inside. I can look through the dot at my front flip up Magpul sight. My place is only 675sqft.

Reactions: Rerun

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Nobody (?) sleeps with their carbine in hand cocked and locked and ready to rumble.
The chances of you waking up with a bad guy leaning over the bed are not zero but very small.
Gun ownership is not a fix it all, it has its limitations.
If you keep the ear muffs same place as the gun then it takes a mere 2 sec to put them on and turn them on.
Getting a gun out of a safe? 20-30 sec if you’re quick and awake enough.
Putting on ear muffs is not exactly rockets science that requires fine motor skills. You can do that half asleep.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts