How to take the country back

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Liberty, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It irks me to see "instructors" prepping firearms and then just handing them to new shooters, with just instruction being limited to how to pull the trigger. This video is one showing liberals shooting for the first time, and insufficient instruction will not change minds.
    https://youtu.be/j6Ex2rVOUWs

2. Branth

Branth Member

They had decent instruction at least. It wasn't a full course, but it was more than "Point it thataway and pull the trigger."

3. peorth

peorth Member

At least the guy didn't give a full auto Uzi to a 9 year old.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ith-an-uzi-said-the-gun-was-too-much-for-her/

My $0.02 is that young kids should be trained from BB guns. Pro 2A groups often overlook air rifles, but I think we need more protection to allow kids to play with low powered BB guns (<1 FPE) at home under adult supervision. Many cities have already banned discharge of air rifles.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVRhuau6MY[/ame]

We also need to encourage schools to support Olympic style 10m shooting teams:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgH2qWVfDR4[/ame]

Because we don't have kids who got yelled at by their parents for pointing their BB guns in the wrong direction, or teenagers who got yelled at by their coach for touching their air rifles when people are down range, today we have adults handling real firearms with poor discipline at the range.

At my local outdoor range, frequently the range master had to chew someone out for touching their firearms while people are walking down range to setup targets.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. Think1st

Florida
    They got rudimentary instruction, at best, in the video with the liberals, and that is not good enough. That might as well be "point it that way, and pull the trigger." In the Irish video, they definitely got told to just point it out there and shoot. Hell, did you see how the girl was just handed the shotgun, loaded, and then had it removed from her hands after she'd expended the rounds?

With regards to the video in the US, I imagine that the range is one that rents guns to people who have never shot before, and they give just enough instruction to protect themselves from liability issues, but if the maker of the video is going to make one about liberals getting to shoot for the first time, then he needs to go all the way, and familiarize them with the particular guns to be shot, making them comfortable with general handling of them before they hit the range.

Only when they develop that kind of comfort and familiarity with firearms will they be ready to be swayed.

5. Think1st

Florida
    The thing with the Uzi was pretty sad, and I am glad that the family of the guy who got shot was supportive of the girl. I hope that she doesn't become a future Bloomberg supporter as she gets older.

In general, though, teaching kids how to safely handle firearms can build good habits to last a lifetime, but even if an adult never handled a firearm as a kid, he should still undergo a safety course to learn those habits, while practicing them on a regular basis. The ones who do stupid things at the range are the ones who probably never had either a formal course or at least instruction from another competent individual.

6. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

British? Australian?

7. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Forget the anti crowd. To hell with them. I try to educate the ones who say guns scare them.

8. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Exactly. Educate the ones who say guns scare them. Let's face it, there are people on this forum who were raised without guns, and yet, here we all are, because we all enjoy them. Some people can be educated. This is the whole point - let's educate those who are afraid.

Just like a hand-to-hand self-defense class, those who are afraid can be educated on how to protect themselves.

9. Think1st

Florida
    I think that anti-gun hysteria actually does come from people being afraid of guns. Part of their irrational desire to ban them and having nothing to do with them, personally, is an unconcious belief that their deliberate abstention from anything to do with them will keep away the bad people who do use them for evil.

Proper education can erode that fear. Some very pointed conversations about their vulnerability to criminals can also educate them.

The real challenge, though, is convincing those who want to put arbitrary capability restrictions on guns. There are military and LE folks who, although they are trained, don't believe in the general public having access to self-loading rifles, in some cases, or they don't believe that the public should have access to 30-round magazines. For them, it is not so much a matter of fear that drives them but a philosophy that says the general public is not trustworthy.

That same attitude also affects many of the rabid gun banning crowd if fear of the guns is not at the root of the problem for certain individuals. Unfortunately, political philosophy about individual freedom is not something that can be undone by education, alone. To deal with that, educating those on the fence is the best countermeasure. In the end, we need intellige, numbers on our side to counter the anti-gun sheeple and political operatives.