How Well Do Pine Cleaners Clean Brass Cases?

Rating:
5/5,
  1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

lklawson submitted a new Article:

How Well Do Pine Cleaners Clean Brass Cases?

Read more about this article here...

2. Shopfox

Shopfox Member

Nicely done. About how much of each (brass, dawn, lemishine, and water) do you use per barrel?

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I put the BBS in first then we fill the remaining space with brass. As much as it can take but still move around. Then I add about 1/4 teaspoon of lemi shine and a drizzle of Dawn. Fill up with water and turn the thing on.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

undeRGRound likes this.
  4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Boy I sure do hope that was dollar store generic Pine-Sol, since you wasted that much on something that did not exceed your old arrangement in cost or shine!!! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's dual-purpose. I still use it to clean floors, toilets, etc.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Have you tried brasso in the tumbler yet

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No, I haven't. I won't either because Brasso contains ammonia, which can cause "seasonal cracking" in copper and brass.

I was rather amused when I was reading the history of "seasonal cracking" in ammunition cases. Seems that the British had significant issues with it when they were fighting in India and Africa. Apparently, it was common for them to store cases of ammunition in the barns with their horses and the ammonia from the horse urine would vaporize, deposit on the brass, and cause cracking. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. I'm interested in how steel BBs perform vs steel pins, and how exactly you separate them from the brass.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I haven't used steel pins. The babies, however, work great. There do seem to be a few issues to watch out for.

The babies are almost exactly the same size as small primer pockets. So when the power pocket is just a very small bit tight it can sometimes catch a b b which will oftentimes need to be popped out the from the other side, through the mouth of the cartridge, with a long pin. The other issue that I have found with 2 to 3 is the very narrow mouth can sometimes capture the steel BBs and jam up. Again this is pretty easy to fix. Usually just shake them out. every couple hundred cases though, they can get jammed in pretty tight. It is pretty rare, but it does happen.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Smile-N-Sunshine likes this.
  10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Uhmmmmm, Kirk---doesn't using babies to clean your brass violate a couple dozen child labor laws??

Twisty and lklawson like this.
  11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Not in Utah.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Twisty, Smile-N-Sunshine and histed like this.