How would you handle family that doesn't help prep.

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by planosteve, Aug 21, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

This one might be hard for a lot of people, but my wife's cousin and I have been having discussions this for months. My point of view is f'em, if they are not willing to contribute they are on their own. Bill being more christian than I am ( not at all to be honest just wanted to let you all know) wants to help them if they show up. Now if they are willing to work and help I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they are not willing to chip in and help my position is kick them in the ass and tell them to go someplace else.

Am I being a ass or do I at least have a moral defensible position.

2. planosteve

By the way most people in my family consider me the eternal optimist, but I am starting to worry about things that are going on, and want to do everything I can to keep my family as safe as possible. I truely hope that thing will not go to ****, but what I hope will not keep **** from happening.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My mom yes, oldest daughter yes....... Don't know that I can trust my brother to do the right thing, if I did let him and his family stay with us.... I'd have to say I'm torn on the subject... Now my oldest daughter's mom and family?.... She's raked me for over 20 years, F her and the horse she rode in on...... My wife's brothers families would both be ok, but that's about it....

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

All depends. Non-contributer, or not contributing in a way i see fit....keep walking, theres no room at the inn.
    If they have something to offer, ill make room as need be. My kids, sometimes my mom would be shoe-ins, but anyone else needs to have something to offer.

5. planosteve

Thanks Bull, at least I am not the only one that is a bit torn over this. I am just tiered of them thinking Bill and I are nut cases. At least we are willing to put our money and time to provide for our families. I just can't handle them thinking that I owe them. I really pisses me off.

6. planosteve

By the way Bull, my brother is a Construction engineer. The little **** knows his stuff. I have seen him tell contractors how to rewire not only homes but office buildings. He also know how to do the work himself. I have told him he and his family are welcome to join us. I know he has saved up a couple months food and water, but I cannot get him to commit to moving out to the farm if things go to hell.

7. planosteve

Thanks Talon, I think you and I are in agreement on this one. What really pisses me off is the comments from some of them at our Thanksgiving get to gathers. Most of them think Bill and I are total nut cases. Bill had 30 years with the Houston FD and I have my 10 years active duty and 10 years as a contractor that showed me what the feds don't tell us.

8. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

That is a tough one that I have worried about as well. I know that if the SHTF my inlaws will show up if they can with hands out and nothing to contribute, and then at least one of them will pull the "it's the Christian thing to do" crap. They have never saved a penny, always spent more than they made, and they did pretty damn well, always bought what they wanted, cars, boats, took vacations, but couldn't pay the bills.
    It is going to be the same if SHTF. It will be "we couldn't afford to put away food or medical supplies". My wife and I don't do a lot of things we want to or buy a lot of things we want to because we want a retirement fund, cash on hand, and things put away just in case.
    I have no pity on my inlaws, but it's my wife's family and there has already been alot of tension regarding lending money, etc. They would be nothing but an anchor, dragging us down and leaching without providing anything. I can't imagine the stress it's going to cause if SHTF and they show up!

9. Bull

He may change his tune, when confronted with the realities of a true shtf..... I could hold up where I'm at now.... But id seriously consider heading to My wife's moms place south east of Branson MO.... The Ozarks will sort out the grist....

10. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

My firsts wifes mother,, in a heartbeat even if I had to go get her,, I own her more than I could ever repay. The rest of that family can K M A

My sons wifes family,, well they can also K M A
    My oldest daughters husbands family,, pucker up to
    My inlaws now have retired back to the homeland,, so nothing to consider there.
    Every one else is in.

11. planosteve

I hope he will join us if things go south. The main reason is he is not afraid of hard work. He is a lousy shot but I can work with that. Just need to get him out of his comfort zone. I have found that you teach people how to shoot well when their ass is on the line. Used to teach Naval Aviators how to shoot pistols. By the way the female aircrew/pilots were better shots than the men.

12. abyssinmeoff

abyssinmeoff Member

If I love you (2 people) or can personally vouch for your morality (5 people), you're in. If not, let darwinism play itself out.

13. This is a good one no your not a ass , my wife and i talked about this a year's ago every time something goes wrong everyone in the family show's up here, WTF!! most of time " we just coasted in on fumes have no money or place to stay " and drove 700miles to get here !

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My sister and her family might come this way, her husband's family is spread around within a few hours of me, and he and they would be great to have around. They are builders and businessmen, hard workers and preppers in lots of ways, though not guns much, but good people.

The rest of my family I'd not turn away...but I'm pretty sure they'd leave soon once I started laying down the law, and they know how it would be...so they aren't going to come.;)

15. jwright

jwright Member

If it gets that bad I really don't plan on making it more then a month or don't think I would want to anyway.

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Only help those who help themselves. Not my job to take care of anybody outside my family. Never cared for a sponge.

17. Bull

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1440246643.129559.jpg .............

18. Yes that's them :rofl: except it's a subaru and not a motorhome
    Like a plague of locusts they consume everything in sight.
    get up at 11am and bit.h about every thing, then it's woe is me ,why don't
    the world help them out more .

19. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    So some of you would just let some family members die or be killed? Pick and choose. This one yes, this one no?

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Have you met my Family? Quite a few would be left to their own devices. I'm even throwing in my brother. My wife and kids come first