Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 995 Carbine from RK Guns, been waiting months for them to come back in stock there.
And they had 10% off all firearms so... couldn't resist.
I bought this as a back up for the wife's side of the bed but I'm sure I'll have a blast at the range too.
Any advice on +p hollow points for defense rounds ???

·
Administrator
28,733 Posts
Just bought a 995 Carbine from RK Guns, been waiting months for them to come back in stock there.
And they had 10% off all firearms so... couldn't resist.
I bought this as a back up for the wife's side of the bed but I'm sure I'll have a blast at the range too.
Welcome aboard. Of the PCC's my wife liked the 995 best too. ...not that I can get her out to the range. :p

Any advice on +p hollow points for defense rounds ???
Yeah, don't worry about it. Just buy whatever hollow points run well in your rifle. You don't have to worry about +P. The extra barrel length increases Muzzle Velocity a lot. It's been noted that some 124gr. 9mm ammo can get up to the same MV and ME range as 125 gr. .357 Mag from a 4" barrel. At those velocities, even cheap HP will expand. +P may expand too much but, again, I wouldn't worry over-much about it.

Frankly, at those velocities, I suspect that even hard cast lead reloads like these would probably expand.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk[/quote][/QUOTE]

Reactions: blues bondsman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard. Of the PCC's my wife liked the 995 best too. ...not that I can get her out to the range. :p

Yeah, don't worry about it. Just buy whatever hollow points run well in your rifle. You don't have to worry about +P. The extra barrel length increases Muzzle Velocity a lot. It's been noted that some 124gr. 9mm ammo can get up to the same MV and ME range as 125 gr. .357 Mag from a 4" barrel. At those velocities, even cheap HP will expand. +P may expand too much but, again, I wouldn't worry over-much about it.

Frankly, at those velocities, I suspect that even hard cast lead reloads like these would probably expand.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Gotcha and thanks for the reply.
I'm hoping the wife enjoys it ! I have AR platforms in 5.56 and 7.62x39 for my side, both full size rifles and the wife is a short 4 foot something and the big rifles are just too much for her.
I may remove the springs on the Hi Point to shorten the stock a bit more.
As far as the +p if that thing ever comes into play I want it to have the very best !

·
Administrator
28,733 Posts
Gotcha and thanks for the reply.
I'm hoping the wife enjoys it ! I have AR platforms in 5.56 and 7.62x39 for my side, both full size rifles and the wife is a short 4 foot something and the big rifles are just too much for her.
I may remove the springs on the Hi Point to shorten the stock a bit more.
As far as the +p if that thing ever comes into play I want it to have the very best !
That's fair.

Even when buying "the very best," you still don't need to worry about +P. Bullet technology has improved so much that you don't really need +P to get performance out of the bullet.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Dog Bulldog Window Carnivore Dog breed
welcome to the zoo. Hope you brought treats. There's been some discussion here in teh past about removing or disabling the springs on the butt stock of the carbine. I doubt they do much for the 9mm. If the length is too much for your wife, you might look at putting an AR style butt on it. Someone here did that and used to make adapters for it. IDK if he's still around or making them, but that's the beauty of HP - mod the heck out of it!!

·
Premium Member
21,665 Posts
Don't remove the springs. 9mm straight blow back guns kick more than an AR15. They aren't fluff, they're there for a reason. It isn't that much difference in length.

The 16" barrel magically transforms modest loads into better performers.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 74272 welcome to the zoo. Hope you brought treats. There's been some discussion here in teh past about removing or disabling the springs on the butt stock of the carbine. I doubt they do much for the 9mm. If the length is too much for your wife, you might look at putting an AR style butt on it. Someone here did that and used to make adapters for it. IDK if he's still around or making them, but that's the beauty of HP - mod the heck out of it!!
Love to find that option, The company that makes the bullpup style stock is kinda pricey !
Any way its been a long wait for the 995 and I'm glad Rural King finally got them in !!!
I can see a few mods already worth investigating for this PCC !

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
When you have time, check out the Paint Jobs and Mods thread. Even if the AR mounting plate isn't available, you'll get some ideas for "personalizing" your carbine. Which reminds me - Christmas is coming and I need a 4595 to go with my JHP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts