Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods & admins if you need to move this to another area please do.
I have spoken to many here on the forum and other HP users I know and most had the same complaint. The safety on our pistols is so flat and sort of hard to activate and if done often it would make your thumb sore.I had bent my lever upward slightly to make it easier to place on safety.At the Tn shoot/meet I saw that Broomhead had used heat shrink tubing on his safety lever. This made it smoother and easier to activate. It also stopped the thumb from getting sore. Well I didn't have any tubing and was thinking of other ways to accomplish the same thing. So I used a vacuum line plug for a car. I had one that was a small one. These can be picked up at Wally mart ,Autozone or any auto parts house. It cost about $.05. So I slipped it over the lever and it worked perfect. It is fairly soft to the touch. It comes in black so it blends in. I love the daylights out of it. It is just rigid enough to stay in place with the need for glue. It does not impede the function of the safety in any way. Now I love my hp even more. Just wanted to throw the idea out there incase others had the same problem. I was even able to bend mine back to the factory position. Plus it is just thick enough to fit good and just barely adds a little extra hold to the safety.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Awesome idea!!

I'm going to move this one over to the "tech tips" section of the board so other new members can find this as well, if you don't mind.

Going to try this on the C9 to see how it works out myself.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I am interested in Pics of that as well. If it looks as good as it sounds, I'll be doing that to my .40 cal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I called the factory about my safety and he told me the following.
He said to put the safety in the down position; then to bend it outwards until satisfied. I tried that (very carefully) and I could not bend it out enough to where I could still operate the safety consistantly; about 40% of the time I would miss the safety. Since my C9 is carried concealed for self defense I felt I could not depend on it due to the safety; and the safety was actually placing my life in danger. I called the factory again and the guy I talked to said that they were not aware of the problem....unbelievable!
Even though I really like my C9 I was going to dump it for something I could depend on. Other than this safety issue I have found the factory and everyone connected to Hi Point to give great customer service; so i was really surprised when the dodo I talked to said he had not heard of a problem with the safety. It's good to hear that others have also have an issue with the safety.

Now comes this excellent idea. I will be at my parts store as soon as they open. Thanks for posting this.

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't take full credit for the idea. Broomhead used heat shrink tubing. I didn't have any and being the cheap arse I am I saw this vacuum nipple and thought I would try that since I had it and it worked like a charm . In my opinion it looked great on there. Now all my HPs wear one on the safety. Many friends of mine with HPs have done the same thing as it helps and it doesn't effect any holster we have seen yet including the Fobus and many other fobus type holsters.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Good idea!! I shall be installing that on my C9 and 995!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.