HP wannabe

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by 03fxsti, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 03fxsti

03fxsti Member

New here just stopped to say howdy. I been lookin to maybe get a 995. I'm a little scared. They are very inexpensive.

2. Dodge Neons were inexpensive too. They were well reviewed and over a million were sold.

3. JaPes

JaPes Member

Hello!

Are you a new firearms enthusiast? If not, how long have you been enjoying the shooting sports? Other than price, is there anything specific about the Hi-Point 995 that you are concerned about?

The answers to these questions will help us to frame our answers to your questions.

General answer:

I find the Hi-Point carbine to be a bit odd in appearance, heavy, and have an odd trigger when dry fired. All of that disappears when I shoulder it during live fire. The carbine "wakes up" and everything about it makes sense.

The odd looks belie decent ergonomics. While heavy, it's balance point is at the grip. It's good weight distribution makes it feel lighter. The trigger feels different under live fire, a good different.

The field strip process is easy. Cleaning and maintenance process is the same as any other firearm. The Hi-Point warranty gives me the warm fuzzy feeling of a nice security blanket.

I am a newer 4595TS (.45 ACP) Hi-Point carbine owner. I have experience with various firearms I've personally owned, and those my friends own. I've put ~800 rounds downrange, most of them my reloads. No issues. No problems. I'm 100% happy. So happy that I just purchased a JHP 45 pistol to complete the carbine/pistol set.

4. Speaking of warranty, I got my 995 back from warranty work today and I could not be happier, all new parts, accessories, and a magazine. The warranty is the best I've ever heard of on any kind of product.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I have not been on this forum very long. But I have already read 3 or 4 posts that basically are "I want a Hi Point - but I'm afraid or I heard this or that, etc". This topic has been beat to death.
    03fxsti - What in particular are you scared about?

6. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Sometimes, too good to be true isn't true.

Don't let the gun snobs scare you. It doesn't need to be expensive to be good

7. nitrous_bob

nitrous_bob lazy city worker Member

mine was $149 brand new....in about 1995

its still kicking and no troubles

8. I was in the same boat til I found this forum. 99.999999% of the knocks against HP's come from people who "have never owned, shot, or would consider even picking one up". When you talk to the people who actually own one, it's a totally different picture. I have the 995TS and 2 C9's. Couldn't be happier. Jump on in!