HTA Bullpup Chassis

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by B_Cassidy, Nov 28, 2016.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :rofl: Like the way you think :rofl:

Prolly the same drum, in reality, just with a ~.050" wider channel.
    The good news about the 9mm drum is that it can be left a bit thicker at the mag catch notch, for strength. I have Glunks, so I don't wanna butcher mine. No 995 atm, either :( I'ma gunna get some pix and measurements tonight! :D

2. undeRGRound

INDY
    If the glock drums were truly DS they would hold a lot more rounds, or be a lot more compact. 75rds, maybe? :D

3. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    You'd only get roughly 10 more rounds outta a double stack feed tower. I don't know that it can't be done, the engineering just seems quite a bit more difficult. You don't have a 995 carbine? Do you have a 3895? Or a C-9 or CF-380? A little HiPoint .380" pistol w/ 50 rounds of .380" ACP +P on tap...

4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The weight of the rounds can be a factor in whether the magazine catch can hold the drum in the proper position to feed.

eldar

5. backbencher

Texas
    eldar, you're entirely correct, but don't rain on our parade until we've cut up a $60 Glock drum. THEN tell us it won't work. :D

So my usual victim lacks the proper equipment, as he's all invested in .45". Anyone good w/ a Dremel, and has a .380" or 9x19mm HiPoint? Apply to the Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing, Hi-Point Division, Attn: backbencher.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Drum was once $39.99!

8. backbencher

Texas
    Ooooooh! Great idea. This has other possibilities, thank you very much. I'm working on an extended floor plate for MagPul's 10 round mag right now.

So - cut the feed tower off the drum entirely, and slot it for the HiPoint mag, or just superglue it. That also solves the feed angle problem neatly - or moves it to a different location...

9. dirt_19

dirt_19 Supporting Member

mississippiautoarms.com has them for $39.99 and estimated shipping to me is like $8.00.

I suppose it could work but I really think if retaining the original tower is a goal the first action a person should probably make is opening the 995 magwell up to 4095/4595 magwell dimensions to help retain some beef .

If I wasn't accessory poor from G3/cetme stuff " also a but ammo poor" I would probably give it a shot "especially since I have a extra 995 stock" .

If the magazine well "minus bushing" was big enough "on the bullpup chassis " to allow the use of a bushing and double stack magazine I'm pretty confident I make something work "3d printer should increase the odds " .

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    Better Link:

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/glock-9mm-50-round-drum-sgm-tactical-p-3217.html

I checked out "trimming the tower" and it has 2 pieces, front and back, screwed together. The screws are right on the edges, so no narrowing process would work :wah:

However, I think one could reduce he width at the top 1.5" to 2" and be ok, maybe? It would fit the receiver and then the magwell needs to be wider. Speaking of the TS version only.

11. backbencher

Texas
    Mole, know I'm asking a bit, but could you take yours apart and take some pics? B/c we might could do w/o the screws; take it apart, put it on a diet, and then super glue it back together.

12. Asher1

Asher1 Member

has anyone considered where a drum mag would land when shouldering this bullpup type stock... for some reason I am picturing a very uncomfortable 4x4 block in my arm pit area. Just give me a 17ish rnd double stack mag, I already burn up enough ammo...

Joe1 likes this.
  13. dirt_19

Mole shame on you for not seeing the screws . I figured just ruff it up a bit and use epoxy.

14. The only problem is that there is the receiver that has the single stack well machined into it... if you simply narrowed the top part of a DS mag like the Mak/Imez coffin magazine then you have to figure the follower system so that you can still feed both SS and DS in the magazine.

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

As I recall, the Luger used a drum magazine that had the feed mechanism to one side.

This magazine was called a 'snail drum' magazine for this reason.

eldar

16. backbencher

Texas
    We'll just have to chicken wing it. A 17 rnd double stack mag is probably more difficult than chopping down a drum mag to fit.

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Backy, the only thing is getting it back together... Spring tension and all. Maybe I can jut take out the screws and rotate it to see the column, w/o complete disassembly. Gotta be this weekend, however. PM Me, Bub!

18. backbencher

Texas
    No, no, video the whole thing, we want to see the giant coil spring hit you in the face in slow-mo. :D

19. dirt_19

I think this video is showing the same drum being disassembled and it doesn't look like the tower has very thick walls and no spring that jumps out from under the cover at you .

https://youtu.be/2G4Xn1Yay2Q?t=6m32s

Attached Files:

20. backbencher

Texas
    Thanks for that, dirt. Looks like Dane may have the best idea - cut off the feed tower and attach the drum to an existing HiPoint mag. Solves any concern about the feed angle in the gun and mag catch - b/c the drum is not quite as slim a single-stack as I'd hoped.

So, who's good w/ a Dremel?