Premium Member
21,148 Posts
The 4595 is 17.5"

Reactions: Rerun and SDProf

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Questions:
  • Where would one get a longer barrel for the carbine (if it's as easy as folks say to swap); the current barrel renders the stock set up illegal (too short; 30" min) in the One Party Dictatorship formerly called California (An LLP of the SEIU, Teachers' Unions, Trial Lawyers, and the AFL-CIO--not redundant).
  • What impact would a longer barrel have on velocity of a .45 ACP? I know there is a point beyond which velocity starts falling off.
DJ
Hoe about you permanently attach a muzzle brake or flash-hider.
Pin or weld.
Would that be counted towards total barrel length?

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Hoe about you permanently attach a muzzle brake or flash-hider.
Pin or weld.
Would that be counted towards total barrel length?
Probably do a flash director as a brake, or hider is illegal. (I think)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm happy to have a muzzle brake, which is legal. I was uptight about putting one on; but, a couple of vendors said the muzzle brake was legal because it was a brake. "They like that." A nut holds the brake in place; and it does seem to have a favorable affect. If it's a placebo affect, more power to it.

I am not sure how much I like welding something onto a barrel. In addition, the stats to which Swaga sent me (TY Swaga) all showed velocity dropping off between 16" and 18". As the bullpup shortens the Carbine to about 27", adding three inches to the barrel seem likely to drop velocity unacceptably. The Muzzle Brake is about 2" long; although, the 17.5" barrel is already past the 16" optimum and very close to 18".

I just got my Carbine; so I will simply stand pat for a while.

DJ

TY TNTrailer....
Have you ever been to Hoover's Gap? If so, is there much to commemorate the battle?

DJ

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
I'm happy to have a muzzle brake, which is legal. I was uptight about putting one on; but, a couple of vendors said the muzzle brake was legal because it was a brake. "They like that." A nut holds the brake in place; and it does seem to have a favorable affect. If it's a placebo affect, more power to it.

I am not sure how much I like welding something onto a barrel. In addition, the stats to which Swaga sent me (TY Swaga) all showed velocity dropping off between 16" and 18". As the bullpup shortens the Carbine to about 27", adding three inches to the barrel seem likely to drop velocity unacceptably. The Muzzle Brake is about 2" long; although, the 17.5" barrel is already past the 16" optimum and very close to 18".

I just got my Carbine; so I will simply stand pat for a while.

DJ
A tacked on brake will not contact the bullet like rifling in the barrel. I have a 14.7" AR15 with a factory welded and pinned barrel. It takes things out to 16.1" so it isn't a short barreled rifle (SBR) If you need the length then welding a steel "legal" muzzle device is probably the way to go. It has to be permanent.

Reactions: SWAGA

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This limited edition was limited to one! I had Andy's people do it in 9, and 40. Well anyone can request custom. They used a blem for the base. View attachment 58511
What pattern is that and how much extra $$$? Just picked up a 995 classic for a donor and getting ready to order one as soon as I finish the P80 build.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
What pattern is that and how much extra $$$? Just picked up a 995 classic for a donor and getting ready to order one as soon as I finish the P80 build.
I can't sign back in there to HTA. Send me a PM. I went back and forth with Andy for a while on picking the pattern and getting him to send it to the hydro dip guys. I spoke to him on the phone and he took some stocks that were cosmetic blems and dipping them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I can't sign back in there to HTA. Send me a PM. I went back and forth with Andy for a while on picking the pattern and getting him to send it to the hydro dip guys. I spoke to him on the phone and he took some stocks that were cosmetic blems and dipping them.
Still up in the air over FDE, OD Green or getting it dipped. Always hesitant to get something dipped because there are other factors affecting the end result and you just don't know for certain how it's going to look. But yours looks great! Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hello all. Long time since I've been here so catching up.
I remember first reading aboutGo to First Unread the .45 carbine HTA chasis and how folks planned on using the Thing Meister conversion.
Before I start planning my next carbine, I have a few questions.
1. Will the Thing Meister conversion work with the HTA chasis?
2. How is the trigger after conversion? I can imagine it being worse seeing that is the bane of bullpup conversions.

Thanks in advance, just got back on here after nearly a decade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all. Long time since I've been here so catching up.
I remember first reading aboutGo to First Unread the .45 carbine HTA chasis and how folks planned on using the Thing Meister conversion.
Before I start planning my next carbine, I have a few questions.
1. Will the Thing Meister conversion work with the HTA chasis?
2. How is the trigger after conversion? I can imagine it being worse seeing that is the bane of bullpup conversions.

Thanks in advance, just got back on here after nearly a decade.
1. No. The HTA chassis has it's own mag catch.
2. The HTA chassis didn't improve it. It is nothing to brag about from the start. It's as good as I could have hoped for given the start and the linkage based limitations of a Bullpup chassis.

·
Registered
905 Posts
1. No. The HTA chassis has it's own mag catch.
2. The HTA chassis didn't improve it. It is nothing to brag about from the start. It's as good as I could have hoped for given the start and the linkage based limitations of a Bullpup chassis.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK< range report...sorry it took a few days, been busy!

If you have a short attention span just read the next sentence:

RUN>>>BUY NOW!!!

OK, now the details:

I am using a newer 995TS. No problems with assembly other than the parts fit tight. A little lube helped that. I assembled the upper and lower a few times and they were tight, very tight. Lube helped a great deal. I used a silicone lube made for rubber and plastic so no worries on that.

I followed the directions closely, you should too. Take your time and get to know the new stock. There are details about it you will want to be clear on, especially the part about the trigger adjustment. Nothing complicated, just stuff you want to know. Things like you want to pull back the slide, cock the action and then put the safety ON (up) so the action will fit into the stock. Install the action pins and make the trigger adjustments now. The take up needs some setting to get it right.

Once you get it together check the fit of the magazines. Mine was just a bit tight at first. No real problem but I checked it with the top cover of the stock off and also with the action out so I could be familiar with how everything worked.

Now, the fun part...the range!

I took all my magazines. For the record these included the factory ten rounders, the Red Ball 20 rounders and two ProMag 15 round units. (The latest generation ones that actually work). On the ProMags you need to remove the "sleeve" part as its not needed on this stock.

Today's ammo was all 115 gn. round nose, my standard range ammo.

What happened? Well, nothing unexpected. ALL the magazines worked flawlessly. They feed perfectly, they fit in and came loose as they should...mostly...but it was as much my fault as the rifles when there was a very slight hick-up. There is a bit of a learning curve to this set up, but its like super simple. It appears that if you lock the bolt back and then insert the magazine that works better. Then (and this is the important lesson for me today) when you are ready to shoot, pull the bolt all the way back and then release it. Pulling it completely back makes cambering the first round much more reliable. If I recall I had a couple of times then the first round didn't feed perfectly. When I started pulling the bolt completely to the rear first, then no problems at all catching that first round. Once I was firing there was never an issue with this as the bolt was going clear back to the rear on its own.

The stock has a built in buffer and I think this helps make it feel so much better than the factory stock. Its very noticeably smoother to me as one would expect with the buffer. I also think its this buffer that causes you to need to pull the charging handle back on the first round. Once you realize this it becomes second nature and you just do it.

What's it like to shoot? Pure fun, fun, fun! Really!! I own eight 9mm PCC's and I know good from bad. This is going to become one of my favorites for sure. It just seems so compact. It shoots smoothly. The controls are all well placed. I love the charging handle, the mag release, the safety on the trigger. This thing rocks....!

As for those Red Ball 20 round magazines, here is the scoop on that: Standing up you will never notice the length. If you are shooting off a rest on the bench, well, they will hit the bench. If you raise up your rest a bit then its OK. But, they are long mags and you need to remember that. The Pro-Mags (some hate but I have no issues at all with them) don't seem to have this issue.

The future: I could have never believed that anyone could make a 995 in to such a nice piece to shoot. This stock has an adapter in the mag well and its easy to see that it may, MAY, happen that someone like HTA will make a double stack mag for this carbine. I think when people wake up and see how great this stock is and how well it works they will be selling like cold beer on a hot day. Then when that happens the market will be ripe for someone spending the money to make the double stack magazines. Until then...well...I have just gotten started on this project and who knows... :)

Price: Some say it costs too much at the current $249 point. I say this: You get what you pay for. There is a lot to this stock with the internal pieces to make it function, etc. Andy and his guys put a hell of a lot of work and monetary investment into this project and have produced one fine product. I would not hesitate to buy another one at this price. Its just that good of a product. I am thrilled I put my name on the list early and waited, it was well worth it and I am one very happy customer.

So, if you want to really have some fun with your Hi-Point and like the idea of a super compact 26" carbine that works great...well, grab one.

P.S. At the range today people took great interest in this rifle. The range officer noticed that it shot very well and wanted a look. He handled it and liked the fit and balance. Everyone who looked at it was impressed but also surprised that there was a Hi Point hiding inside that attractive stock.
How do you adjust trigger pull

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone running HTA bullpup having issues with rounds FTF. The bolts catching the round but not chamfering the round. If I work the charging handle I can normally get round to chamber. Doesn't do it a lot just every once in awhile.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
That sounds like a mag issue.
Mag sitting a tad too low maybe?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good thought, if it happens again I'll try to remember and tap bottom of the mag. I'll see if that allows the round to chamber. Hoping to put a couple of rounds through this week.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anyone running HTA bullpup having issues with rounds FTF. The bolts catching the round but not chamfering the round. If I work the charging handle I can normally get round to chamber. Doesn't do it a lot just every once in awhile.
I converted a 4595 and a 1095 to HTA bullpups, with both I had more front-back play in the magwell vs the factory stocks. Not having a flush mag baseplate might have had something to do with that, I added a spacer to the back of the mag to keep rounds pointed as high as possible. The 4595 wasn't having feed issues but the 1095 was, the spacers fixed my feed issues.

I had some self adhesive urethane bumpers for furniture from Home Depot that were the width of the mags, then wrapped em with electrical tape and so far they seem to be holding up.

The round nose .45s are probably easier to feed than the truncated 10mm but the .45 is also a few years older and has had more use than the 10mm but I did run 75 rounds of various brands of 10mm with the factory stock without issue before dropping it in the HTA.

HTA needs to bring out a replacement mag baseplate or a spacer for their chassis, or the double stack mag they teased.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
10mm is a problem child in PCC AR's. The cartridge takes some internal feeding work to feed right.

1281 - 1300 of 1418 Posts