Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1418 Posts

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
@Panzercat
I like the way you've set it up.
HiPoint should really consider selling these as production models.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got the Primary Arms prism scope a couple days ago. I knew I'd like it as I have the 3x prism on an AR in 7.62 x 39.
Two of the best things about it are the etched reticle and adjustable diopter.

With the etched reticle, you still have a reticle to see even without batteries. The reticle in black is so easy to see, the only time I'd use the batteries is at dusk or after dark.
Battery life is 15,000 hours.
With the adjustable diopter, you can dial the reticle in sharp even with older eyes or astigmatism.

Tethered caps, ARD filter, several different riser heights (same as Aimpoint risers too), and a lifetime warranty. But at $240, it, like the HTA stock, costs more than the 4595 TS did.
I did get $25 off for military discount though.

I threaded it to 5/8" x 24 tpi for a .45 caliber A2 flash hider, not that there's much flash with a 16 " barreled .45 ACP, but it looked bare without some kind of muzzle device.
And got my Vickers sling put on.

I started out with the front swivel in one of the front M-Lok slots, but was afraid the sling would get in the way of the charging handle, set up on the right side for my left handedness.
I had removed the knuckle guard, so I mounted the sling at the front or the trigger guard when I put the filler plug in.
Back sling swivel I mounted using the M-Lok slot on the opposite side, to reduce the tendency of the gun to want to roll away from you, as it would if both ends of the sling were on the same side.

This bullpup felt like it needed a forward grip, as it's not comfortable to hold with the lower Pic rail, and will give a more positive place for the other hand.
I ordered a Tango Down VG, in FDE with the Q.D. lever.
It has a panel that comes out so you can put a pressure tab for a light, and spare batteries can be stored inside.

This has been a fun project, but dang, for the money I've put into it, I could have got a CZ Scorpion, Beretta Storm, or almost bought a Steyr AUG clone bullpup. Sling here is shown at it's shortest, pull the tan tab up front to extend it.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Nice red X! Actually the 45, and 40 are 17.5"

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
48 Posts
It does look cool, but when I had it out today, all was not well.
It's not as lefty friendly as I had hoped, even with the brass deflector.

When I first shot it with irons last week, I probably had my head back more away from the deflector, and was shooting from a bench so I could zero the Magpul BUIS.
With the scope back as far as it could go, and still deploy the rear sight if necessary, I had to have my head right against the deflector, and was getting some blow back in the face.
And shooting off hand with my right arm alongside the ejection port, I was getting hot brass launched into my arm.

I shot some 3 shot groups at 50 yards, and they were all in the 6" range. Odd, because the last trip out, I was shooting 3" inch groups with the irons.
I got a wrench out of my truck, took off the A2 flash hider, and proceeded to shoot several 3 inch groups. So this carbine doesn't like the A2.

I noticed that with one of my Mini-30s too. It shot lights out with the long cage Ruger flash hider, but after I switched it to an A2, groups went to hell.
I'll just get a thread protector for the HP for now.

I put the Hi Point stock back on, and went back and shot some more rounds just now. Safety and mag release isn't as easy for me to get to, but the factory TS stock is more lefty friendly for me.
Painting the factory stock Sage Green right now.

So I'm going to put the Hightower stock on the classifieds later.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
It's not as lefty friendly as I had hoped, even with the brass deflector.
Honestly I'd take those BUIS off.
Move the scope back another inch.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
Honestly I'd take those BUIS off.
Move the scope back another inch.
As it sits he can't use the flip up sights so remove them. Or get 45 °offset sights.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought about that, but it's natural to throw the gun up to your shoulder and have my head right up against the deflector. I don't want to have to shoulder it and need to remember to scoot my head back a bit so I don't get pelted.
I'll just sell the stock to a right hander.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I seem to remember someone trying to make a lefty carbine by flipping the charging handle and ejector/extractor claw to the other side? Maybe I'm remembering way wrong. I think it did require a whole new receiver cover or some such.

·
Registered
10 Posts
upload_2020-9-16_22-49-55.png

Say it isn't so. As a lefty myself I chose this carbine for the price, the lefty accessibility, and a bullpup upgrade that combines the two. The only thing I don't like is the bare barrel up front. By the way this is the 995 with the 19" barrel. I have an idea for that but hope my final design lives up to my vision. The fore grip pivots to 45 and 90 degrees but equally functional when stowed away flat. Finally getting some rounds in next week to bust her cherry.
upload_2020-9-16_22-50-35.png

upload_2020-9-16_22-54-23.png

·
Registered
48 Posts
Roger, it might have been do-able if I kept my head back by the buttplate, but that wasn't very natural, plus I wouldn't have been able to see through my optic, as it has a 4 inch max eye relief.
Then there was the matter of my right arm getting hit by brass.

The gun did seem like it needed a forward vertical grip, so I had ordered a Tango Down grip. Not sure I'll use it with the TS stock though.
I hope the HTA works better for you.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
View attachment 67463
Say it isn't so. As a lefty myself I chose this carbine for the price, the lefty accessibility, and a bullpup upgrade that combines the two. The only thing I don't like is the bare barrel up front. By the way this the 995 with the 19" barrel. I have an idea for that but hope my final design lives up to my vision. The fore grip pivots to 45 and 90 degrees but equally functional when stowed away flat. Finally getting some rounds in next week to bust her cherry.
View attachment 67465

View attachment 67467
Canadian, Eh?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was thinking undeRGround meant the 19" barrel.
I am in the Verde Valley, 70 miles north of Phoenix. Lots of great country to go shooting here, isn't there ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Roger, it might have been do-able if I kept my head back by the buttplate, but that wasn't very natural, plus I wouldn't have been able to see through my optic, as it has a 4 inch max eye relief.
Then there was the matter of my right arm getting hit by brass.

The gun did seem like it needed a forward vertical grip, so I had ordered a Tango Down grip. Not sure I'll use it with the TS stock though.
I hope the HTA works better for you.
Yes, I like the look without the knuckle guard too. To go along with my minimalistic policy I went with a CVlife reflex sight. Position your head anywhere if the reticle is on the target you should hit it. Also, if the rounds come closer then expected I'll just 3D print a downward facing channel. Is there a reason why this design has not been adopted for most ambidextrous rifle that doesn't have a true multi/ambi ejection port.

1341 - 1360 of 1418 Posts