HTA Bullpup Chassis

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by B_Cassidy, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Panzercat

Panzercat Member

I have to agree on that. The activation zone is too narrow and easily prone to untintentional activation. I've never thought a trigger dingus was a good idea and this only reinforces that fact, be it Glock or this product. Personally, I would just go about disabling it if I knew my way around the kit a bit better.

[​IMG]

Rerun and SWAGA like this.
  2. sandog

sandog Member

I'm thinking I will try to pin back the activation part of the trigger back, then it won't matter if you started squeezing the trigger too low. Just a straight pull.
    I'll still have the trigger block safety and the Hi Point safety.

I like the way you have yours set up, Panzercat, that's what I had envisioned for mine.
    I might take the knuckle guard off and try a vertical front grip.

3. sandog

sandog Member

Today I deactivated the dingus on my trigger. No more trying to fire and then realizing my finger was too low on the trigger.
    Now when I pull the trigger, it will move back, even if my finger is in the middle or low down.

I think the addition of that helping to make the conversion safer was questionable.
    To have to rely on it would assume that you are walking around with a round chambered and the other two safeties off. And if it were to keep some brush or something from letting the trigger go back ( again assuming both of the other safeties weren't being used), it would only help if the piece of branch, brush , etc. were pushing on the bottom of the trigger.

I held the dingus back, and drilled a hole the same size as a piece of roll pin I had.
    Pin and drill bit were .085" in this case.
    Too large of a hole for your pin and the pin might have trouble staying in. Too small of a hole and you'd risk cracking the plastic in the trigger.

I supported the back of the trigger when tapping in the roll pin, it went in easily.
    I assumed the plastic would give a slight amount as the roll pin went in.
    I did have to shorten the roll pin I used to match the width of the trigger.

Also today I threaded the barrel to 5/8" x 24 for an A2 flash hider I am getting from KAK Industries.
    And I removed the knuckle guard. It helps the bullpup look "cool" but wasn't needed and I think with not having the knuckle guard, and the addition of a Tango Down vertical grip on the lower rail, will make it easier to get the gun into action faster and make it more comfortable to hold.
    [​IMG]

Roger Jimenez, SWAGA, Visper and 2 others like this.
  4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Funny that exactly how I was getting ready to tell you how to do it. Except have you do a slight counter sink and cut the pin even shorter.

sandog likes this.
  5. sandog

sandog Member

I'll tell you why I didn't consider countersinking the roll pin.
    The activation (dingus ) part of the trigger is maybe 1/4" thick, but the main part of the trigger is around 1/16" thick. Countersink the roll pin and it wouldn't be catching very much of the trigger.

I made sure to smooth the ends of the pin (and touch up blue) and that the ends were flush and not protruding.

SWAGA likes this.
  6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It looks like you flared the end of the pin a bit, too. Did you do that on the other side as well?

sandog likes this.
  7. sandog

sandog Member

No, it does look like it is flared, but I didn't. I didn't want to chance damaging the plastic trigger.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It looks pretty clean--almost imperceptible.

sandog likes this.
  9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

@Panzercat
    I like the way you’ve set it up.
    HiPoint should really consider selling these as production models.

sandog likes this.
  10. sandog

sandog Member

I got the Primary Arms prism scope a couple days ago. I knew I'd like it as I have the 3x prism on an AR in 7.62 x 39.
    Two of the best things about it are the etched reticle and adjustable diopter.

With the etched reticle, you still have a reticle to see even without batteries. The reticle in black is so easy to see, the only time I'd use the batteries is at dusk or after dark.
    Battery life is 15,000 hours.
    With the adjustable diopter, you can dial the reticle in sharp even with older eyes or astigmatism.

Tethered caps, ARD filter, several different riser heights (same as Aimpoint risers too), and a lifetime warranty. But at $240, it, like the HTA stock, costs more than the 4595 TS did.
    I did get $25 off for military discount though.

I threaded it to 5/8" x 24 tpi for a .45 caliber A2 flash hider, not that there's much flash with a 16 " barreled .45 ACP, but it looked bare without some kind of muzzle device.
    And got my Vickers sling put on.

I started out with the front swivel in one of the front M-Lok slots, but was afraid the sling would get in the way of the charging handle, set up on the right side for my left handedness.
    I had removed the knuckle guard, so I mounted the sling at the front or the trigger guard when I put the filler plug in.
    Back sling swivel I mounted using the M-Lok slot on the opposite side, to reduce the tendency of the gun to want to roll away from you, as it would if both ends of the sling were on the same side.

This bullpup felt like it needed a forward grip, as it's not comfortable to hold with the lower Pic rail, and will give a more positive place for the other hand.
    I ordered a Tango Down VG, in FDE with the Q.D. lever.
    It has a panel that comes out so you can put a pressure tab for a light, and spare batteries can be stored inside.

This has been a fun project, but dang, for the money I've put into it, I could have got a CZ Scorpion, Beretta Storm, or almost bought a Steyr AUG clone bullpup. Sling here is shown at it's shortest, pull the tan tab up front to extend it.
    [​IMG]

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Nice red X! Actually the 45, and 40 are 17.5"

12. sandog

sandog Member

Yes, I measured it again out of the stock @ 17.5".

13. SWAGA

That is for certain the best looking combo I’ve seen.

sandog likes this.
  14. sandog

sandog Member

It does look cool, but when I had it out today, all was not well.
    It's not as lefty friendly as I had hoped, even with the brass deflector.

When I first shot it with irons last week, I probably had my head back more away from the deflector, and was shooting from a bench so I could zero the Magpul BUIS.
    With the scope back as far as it could go, and still deploy the rear sight if necessary, I had to have my head right against the deflector, and was getting some blow back in the face.
    And shooting off hand with my right arm alongside the ejection port, I was getting hot brass launched into my arm.

I shot some 3 shot groups at 50 yards, and they were all in the 6" range. Odd, because the last trip out, I was shooting 3" inch groups with the irons.
    I got a wrench out of my truck, took off the A2 flash hider, and proceeded to shoot several 3 inch groups. So this carbine doesn't like the A2.

I noticed that with one of my Mini-30s too. It shot lights out with the long cage Ruger flash hider, but after I switched it to an A2, groups went to hell.
    I'll just get a thread protector for the HP for now.

I put the Hi Point stock back on, and went back and shot some more rounds just now. Safety and mag release isn't as easy for me to get to, but the factory TS stock is more lefty friendly for me.
    Painting the factory stock Sage Green right now.

So I'm going to put the Hightower stock on the classifieds later.

15. SWAGA

Honestly I’d take those BUIS off.
    Move the scope back another inch.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

All I see is a red X

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

As it sits he can't use the flip up sights so remove them. Or get 45 °offset sights.

18. sandog

sandog Member

I thought about that, but it's natural to throw the gun up to your shoulder and have my head right up against the deflector. I don't want to have to shoulder it and need to remember to scoot my head back a bit so I don't get pelted.
    I'll just sell the stock to a right hander.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  19. sandog

sandog Member

I can use the flip up sights as is, co witnesses nicely, I just didn't like shooting that stock as a lefty.

20. I seem to remember someone trying to make a lefty carbine by flipping the charging handle and ejector/extractor claw to the other side? Maybe I'm remembering way wrong. I think it did require a whole new receiver cover or some such.