HTA Bullpup Chassis

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by B_Cassidy, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

upload_2020-9-16_22-49-55.png
    Say it isn't so. As a lefty myself I chose this carbine for the price, the lefty accessibility, and a bullpup upgrade that combines the two. The only thing I don't like is the bare barrel up front. By the way this is the 995 with the 19" barrel. I have an idea for that but hope my final design lives up to my vision. The fore grip pivots to 45 and 90 degrees but equally functional when stowed away flat. Finally getting some rounds in next week to bust her cherry.
    upload_2020-9-16_22-50-35.png

upload_2020-9-16_22-54-23.png

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020 at 2:39 AM
    Hipointer and undeRGRound like this.
  2. sandog

sandog Member

Roger, it might have been do-able if I kept my head back by the buttplate, but that wasn't very natural, plus I wouldn't have been able to see through my optic, as it has a 4 inch max eye relief.
    Then there was the matter of my right arm getting hit by brass.

The gun did seem like it needed a forward vertical grip, so I had ordered a Tango Down grip. Not sure I'll use it with the TS stock though.
    I hope the HTA works better for you.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Canadian, Eh?

4. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

In AZ. Some frugal people here in the states too if that is what you are referring to.

undeRGRound likes this.
  5. sandog

sandog Member

I was thinking undeRGround meant the 19" barrel.
    I am in the Verde Valley, 70 miles north of Phoenix. Lots of great country to go shooting here, isn't there ?

undeRGRound likes this.
  6. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

Yes, I like the look without the knuckle guard too. To go along with my minimalistic policy I went with a CVlife reflex sight. Position your head anywhere if the reticle is on the target you should hit it. Also, if the rounds come closer then expected I'll just 3D print a downward facing channel. Is there a reason why this design has not been adopted for most ambidextrous rifle that doesn't have a true multi/ambi ejection port.

7. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

Nice but currently our outdoor ranges in the valley are on lock down due to fire risk. We need rain. Are your ranges open up north?

8. sandog

sandog Member

I try not to go to public ranges, some friends and I have a couple spots on public land we go to.
    One is enclosed by hills on 3 sides and you can get 70 yards or so, that one we use for handguns and shotguns. The other has a big hill behind it and we can get to 300 yards and a bit further.
    Prescott Natl Forest is still closed for fire danger concerns, generally south of Hi Way 260.
    North of 260 is Coconino Natl. Forest, it reopened about a month ago after some of the few Monsoon storms we got.
    Both of our shooting spots are considered Coconino Forest (although the big pine trees don't start until you get halfway to Payson, or just beyond Sedona).

9. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

Sorry for the question if it has already been covered but what is the consensus in regards to adding a .5" riser to any sights? I find it low and feel like I'm making an effort to pushing my face on the stock to line up the sights.

10. sandog

sandog Member

The stock has no drop, a riser under the sights would be good. I found them a bit low too.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

@Roger Jimenez I like the look of the 19" barrel on the HT stock. You buy that Canadian model right off the shelf locally?

12. Looks like two of us had the same experience with the HTA trigger. The following quote is from a post I made last month after taking my rifle to the range for the first time.

I also plan to pin the trigger safety bar on my rifle....just haven't gotten around to it yet.

sandog likes this.
  13. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

Rev 1, Carbon Fiber barrel shroud mod for my 9mm 19" barrel.
    5/8" left extended from my 1" plan so I can drill holes for a "compensator" look. My only concerns are the two M8 set screws and how quick they will damage the 3mm of carbon fiber bite with every recoil, as limited as it is. The shroud is floating one sheet of paper away from the stock.
    Shroud upload_2020-10-7_22-18-12.png
    No Shroud
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  14. Roger Jimenez

Roger Jimenez Member

I stumbled on the last one at Shooting Depot. 19" was the only one available to select a couple of months ago. Theoretically more velocity and more accurate? I also saved $50 from the auctions on Gun Broker.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    TNTRAILERTRASH and adam01364 like this.
  15. TNTRAILERTRASH

I don't know where the law of diminishing returns kicks in on 9mm. I think accuracy is better for sure. The 19" barrel was to pacify the Canadian gubmint on their regualtions.

16. Well, I can't compete with the cleavage; but I did get off my ass and pin the trigger safety today on my 1095.

If anyone else is planning on the same thing, I found that a roll pin with 5/64" diameter and 1/2" length works just fine without having to modify the pin.

20200920_180923.jpg 20200920_180939.jpg

undeRGRound and Dred like this.
  17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My son is currently in Prescott for college. My wife's mom, dad, 2 aunts and a uncle live in Williamson Valley. We were there last month

18. hans471

hans471 Member

I have been spending more time with my HTA stocked 995TS. After the Mcarbo springs and a good cleaning I wanted to give it more range time. I must be a lucky guy, I have a trigger that has a decent feel and pull. No, its not a CZ or AR but for a Hi-Point it is quite acceptable. I do have one of the first HTA stocks when they still had the adjustable trigger. I don't know if that matters. I also have a Beretta Storm CX-4 since they came out and have spent a lot of time shooting it. Its FCG is made of plastic parts. Good plastics but still, its plastic. It appears they vary greatly on feel with some of them being quite heavy. There is a Siera Pappa metal trigger kit that helps but its $$$$$. On my rifle the trigger got a little careful smoothing and I am quite use to it and its OK. So, maybe that makes me less sensitive to the HP trigger feel?
    I like this rifle. I avoid throwing too much money at it as that defeats the whole concept of owning a Hi-Point. The HTA stock was a big expense but one that really made the 995 into something special. I keep comparing it to my Beretta as they are both nice, compact and reliable PCC's. The only thing I really miss on the Hi-Point is a nice double stack high capacity magazine. I have the 20 round long one which works but sure sticks out a lot! With my Storm a 18 round MecGar is my favorite mag as it is flush with the grip and a 20 round is just a bit longer. 30 round mags are available but stick out a bit more. If there was one improvement I would spend a few bucks on for my HP its a better hi-cap magazine.
    Love my HTA 995 carbine and its on my "never sell" list of firearms. Now, if there was only a way for HTA to build a stock like this for the Ruger PCC, that would be a blast!

undeRGRound likes this.
  19. TNTRAILERTRASH

Did you put a trigger pull gauge on it?

20. hans471

hans471 Member

I did measure it with a gauge. My gauge is a low dollar, simple Wheeler, so its not super accurate, but good enough to give a fair idea of what is happening. I did ten tests and the readings were all between 5-1/2 and 6-1/2 pounds with most being just a shade over 6 pounds.
    Pull weight is not everything, trigger "feel" comes into play also. This trigger is a bit vague compared to one of my high end match grade triggers on my target level rifles. It doesn't have that clean break with no creep that you find in high end triggers, but it certainly does its job 100% of the time. Thing is on a PCC like this you don't really need a target grade trigger. I find it works fine in actual use. Every time I pull it the trigger break is predictable and reasonably consistent even if it is not super clean like a match trigger. Its fine for the job at hand. Its a piston caliber carbine, not a multi-thousand dollar match rifle.

undeRGRound likes this.