Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my friend went out last night to try out my 995 and my .40. We were having a good time on another friends private property. Where we shoot is just left of a nice fishing pond. Well about 1/2 hour into are target practice two guys come down in a truck and yell out you guys shooting down here? Pretty stupid question when you see two guys with guns and here shots going off. Any way they precede to tell us they are just going fishing. Right after they told us that We finished off the last two clips and I told them we were leaving go ahead and go fishing. They said you don't have to quit it does not bother us. What kind of moron would go out in front of two guys shooting to go fishing? I'm thinking even if it does not bother you two, it bothers me. I'm not shooting with anyone in front of me even if it is clear off to the right of where I was shooting. Some people are just not to bright.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep me either. We were kind of laughing too, because before they got there we were shooting into the water. I have to think the fish were not going to be biting very good.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
And why in heck would someone want to bring a rod & reel to the range? ^-^

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I guess they assumed you were safe shooters and they had nothing to worry about. I guess it was a good thing you left.

Shooting into bodies of water is very dangerous. If the angle is shallow enough bullets can skip right off the surface. Lower power rounds like the .22 rimfires are especially bad about this. One of the first things taught in a firearms safety course is not to shoot into bodies of water. Right after "don't point the muzzle at anything you don't want to kill".

Lead bullets in a body of water are also a danger to fish, waterfowl, and other wildlife. There is a reason the use of lead shot was banned for waterfowl hunting.

http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/DisplayNews.cfm?NewsID=4DAA500C-3E21-4564-87AA714E9E301C9E

http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/Documents/leadpoisoning2.pdf

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
As an advocate of safe fun with your firearm I have to second Slimshady's comments. That's dangerous to not only yourself but others around. It's also not very considerate of others who will be fishing that pond.

"Oh, look honey, I took a fine looking fish out of that pond down the road".
"Oh that is a nice one. I'll fillet that one for dinner".
"What's this?!"
"Why it looks like a bullet?"
"Oh well, I can we can order Pizza."

Please be careful and considerate and have loads of fun safely shooting your firearms.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok point taken, firing into water = bad for environment. However it was not unsafe. We were 100 feet up hill from the pond and there was a hill on the other side of the pond. I'm not going to risk hurting someone. :-[

I would not care if you were Buffalo Bill and could shot cigarettes out of peoples mouth I would not put myself in the position those guys did.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Ok point taken, firing into water = bad for environment. However it was not unsafe. We were 100 feet up hill from the pond and there was a hill on the other side of the pond. I'm not going to risk hurting someone. :-[

I would not care if you were Buffalo Bill and could shot cigarettes out of peoples mouth I would not put myself in the position those guys did.
Oh, I can agree with you on that. I'm not going to sit downrange of anyone shooting, either. I hope I didn't offend with my comments. i didn't intend to. I just feel compelled sometimes to offer unsolicited opinions about gun safety, especially here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts