Hunting .223

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by hipoint.nut, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

I looking for a good low cost .223 for hunting do you guys have any suggestions? I thought about the Saiga, but I don't know if it would be able to hold a tight enough group at 300 yards.

2. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

3. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

I've been looking at the Stevens, they seem to be a great gun for the money. Also I am open to anything, Auto Loading, Bolt, Single Shot or Other. I just want a gun that can drive tacks at 300 yards to hunt Coyote and Rabbit.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Sako, Tikka or browning all make excellent bolt actions in the 300 dollar range (no scopes).

SW

5. A buddy of mine has a new england firearms in .223 which came with the high powered scope. He got it for $300 NIB and it is a tack-driver at 200yrds.

6. Check out the NEF Handi Rifle, they are excellent low cost single shot's and come in many caliber options. You can purchase a rifle in .223 and have it fitted for a shotgun barrel or another rifle barrel if you choose to.

7. Hunting with a .223?

Isn't that rather small for game hunting? For varmits, its grand, but for taking down a deer or something, its not exactly the best round.

Our state prohibits hunting with .223. Has to be 240 or bigger.

8. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

I am planning on using it for varmints only; Coyote or rabbit.