Hunting for a new hunting rifle...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Rachgier, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I had a conversation with Ajole the other day about some rifles I'm considering to replace that crap 770 I broke since I sold my R700 M40 conversion project to help make the down payment on the new house.

Looking for a .308. I'm leaning towards the Weatherby or a Savage. The Rugers are so prevalent down here with the locals it's almost scary.

Here's my list in no particular order:

1. Thompson Center Arms Venture

2. Weatherby Vanguard S2

3. Ruger American

4. Savage 10 TH XP

5. Savage 11 TH XP

6. Savage 11 Hog Hunter

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I like my Ruger American a lot.... But I am going to Boyd's stock it soon.... The trigger is very nice, and it's mag fed.

3. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

2nd endorsment ,Ruger American

4. Fracman

Fracman Member

Living in Colorado I would have to have a nice Elk gun 30-06, 270, 300wsm 270wsm 35 Whalen I could go on for a long time on different calibers that are a good elk gun. With over the counter elk tags I would be looking for something alittle bigger then a 308.

5. Rachgier

30-06 and .308 carry negligible differences honestly. I'm also already set up to reload for .308, have a boat load of it ready to go, and would be replacing a broken .308. Plus the wife wants to hunt but in all reality she'll stay home or in camp most of the time. That gives me the option to pick out a .308 I like that she can borrow when she makes the trips, and make a future purchase of a second hunting rifle under the guise of being able to hunt with her because of the second rifle....

Don't all men who have been in a real long-term relationship after the age of 25 think like this?

6. Fracman

Fracman Member

Do this with your 308

Attached Files:

7. Rachgier

Do what?

Read load data charts? I do it all the time.

Hunting, like SD, is all about accuracy and penetration. I'm not looking to get in to a caliber war. I'm looking for a .308 right now. If I decide to switch to another caliber for my second rifle, then we can argue about it when I say I'm considering a .300 win mag.

8. Fracman

Fracman Member

300 win mag is a fine choice for any game in North America!

9. Rachgier

Exactly. That's why I'm picking up a .308 for now, so when the wife goes hunting with us I can have a .300 win mag for me. I've learned how to game my wife, and she's learned how to recognize when I'm gaming her. She uses it to her advantage, hence her shiny new G19, 2 extra mags, fobus holster, dual mag pouch, kindle fire, and 1,500 rounds of 9mm ammo.

She even let me buy $1,000 worth of saws for my wood shop last night because she knows she can use them to get something she wants in the future.

10. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I got a Marlin XS7 in 308. The adjustable trigger is a nice feature for a rifle in this price range. Its well put together. I've only had it for about a month and a half but so far I haven't found one thing to complain about.

11. Rachgier

I kept up with that thread. I did consider the Marlin, and it's in the top 5 if you count the savages as a single option. lol

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was a Savage 110E. I am going to vote for one of the Savages.

13. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

You can get them brand new for mid 200's, well before Christmas anyway. Its a quality rifle.

If your considering upgrading for yourself later anyway and handing it off to your wife, this won't break the bank while still doing what you want it to do. Then you can break the bank on yours :D

14. Rachgier

The reviews on the TH's were pretty impressive. Savage lists them as the 10/110 and the 11/111. It's a toss up between wood stock (10) and a synthetic stock (11) between the two. Mid-level Nikon scope, from what I've been reading, on both.

15. Rachgier

That's true.

16. peorth

peorth Member

I have never owned a weatherby and cannot comment. But will say as a savage customer, I like their customer service far, far better than Remington.

17. Rachgier

I escaped NY. I won't buy a new Remington ever again.

18. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The 10 and 11 are short actions and the 110 and 111 are long actions.

Edit: after reading my response I realized you already knew that, and could not delete my response. :eek::blush:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I suggested the Vanguard because of its accuracy warranty, where the Savage will "probably" be accurate, the Weatherby is going to be accurate.

Also, the Weatherby has a one piece machined bolt, rather than a multiple part bolt.
    Also has a hand honed adjustable two stage trigger, instead of the Accutrigger...I have an Accutrigger, I like it, but I like two stage better for targets and hunting.

And stuff like a metal trigger guard, solid stock instead of hollow, with better grip surfaces, and better fit and finish, all improvements over the Savage.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015