Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i usually grab the sks for coyote outings and sometimes deer, due to the increased snatching and grabbing of ammo 7.62 is either non existant around here or WAY overpriced and I want to keep the few hundred rounds I do have just in case, I got a marlin 30-30 lever to replace the sks due to whenever im at the box stores checking for 9mm and .40 i always see 30-30 available! how would this gun compare to my trusty ol' sks, theyre both beat around guns and i dont mind if i drop the marlin in mud because i got it used and it's alreadt "got character". I know the follow up shots arent in semi auto but i rarely ever need that. ballistically what should I expect and are they pretty much the same round from say 100 yards and under?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
You may find out to about 125-150 yards a good Marlin will shoot better then the SKS. In south Missouri I know guys that sound like a auto with a lever gun.
Try the Leverevolution ammo.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I grew up on lever guns, they are my favorite hunting gun.........I wish more calibers came in levers.........I may not be at a semi's rate of fire, but I'm pretty fast..................what I really like about the 30-30, is that around here EVERYONE has one so if the SHTF, they have a high scrounge value.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
whats not to like about a 30/30... but heaven help a coyote at the receiving end! There's a lot more oomph in the 30/30 so if you are hunting wiley for fur ya might wanna point something else his way (even the SKS, & that's what I sue on 'em, is over-kill) BUT if you just want him DEAD, well have at at it and post pictures!! :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Balistically the 30-30 has a little more umph (technical term) x39 shoots a little flatter, but in both cases its very little you prolly won't notice a difference. Oh and my SKS shoots better than my 336 ever did. The 336 is alot easer to put a solid scope mount on though.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
30-30 is a great round, and hard to beat a Marlin. The only thing I do not like about the caliber is that you cannot use spitzer bullets in a tube magazine. Not that you really need them for what you are using them for.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Geez man. A 30-30 leaves a pretty big hole in a deer. It would for sure take care of a coyote. I have dropped a few deer with my 30-30 between 35 and 95 yards. Each time the deer went down and stayed down instantly.

It's a pretty flat shooter too, great with iron sights. I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards with ease. I use the lighter 150 gr. bullet. I have never tried a 170, but I'm sure it would also do the job.

The only thing is the rounds are little pricey, usually a box of 20 is about 20 bucks. Not terrible for a hunting only gun, but a little pricey to stock up on rounds with.

I have a 336 as well, and I love that little gun, its a breeze to carry around the woods.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
When Hornady's LeverEvolution ammo hit the streets the useful range of the .30-30 dramatically increased. It does use a 160 grain Flex-Tip Spitzer bullet with a ballistic coefficient of .330 at a muzzle velocity of 2400 fps, this load flattens trajectory and extends the useful killing range of the .30-30 to around 250 yards. The 160 is still a sizable bullet that is great for deer but might not leave a whole lot of the coyote unless it's a clean headshot.

Just out of curiosity, why shoot coyotes anyways? I know when I'm in Texas we shoot them to keep them away from what few cattle we have but beyond that, what good are they outside of buzzard food?

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why shoot coyotes anyways? I know when I'm in Texas we shoot them to keep them away from what few cattle we have but beyond that, what good are they outside of buzzard food?
WHY??!?! wull because they're there man. :devilsidesmile:
Pelts fetch as much a $20 in cold country when prime (before the economic downturn) Amortize that against hours and hours of sitting in the cold, electronic caller, ammo, camo, skinning time, hunting license, AR with night-vision scope - ya only hafta kill 6-700 of the raskals b4 ya break-even - whats not to like?? ;)
... & it's fun.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
And now I know! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Damn man, just 4 years ago I was getting $40 bucks on the carcass for the heavy red ones we have here. This year they barely broke $9.

They rarely get into cattle up here, but they multiply so fast that if they go unchecked for a few years then mange and rabies comes back full force and messes up every hunting season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.