Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine whom I had not spoken to in a couple of years called me today, and while we were catching up, he started telling me about a hunting trip he took to the southwest last year. He went down to hunt javelina, or peccary as they are also known. While there, he had a guide to take him out into the desert, where they sat on a hill and used binoculars to find a herd, then stalked them to within a hundred yards or so, where he took a boar with his .243. Anyway, the interesting part of this is that he said the guide he was with carried a 995, which he used as his preferred javelina gun, loaded with what he called "high power rounds", which I am assuming means +P rounds. Apparently, the little peccaries only get to around 50 or 60 pounds, and depending on your location, you can hunt them with anything .22 centerfire caliber or larger.

I have been thinking about taking my dad on a hunting trip this year or next... might have to swing down to Texas and see if my 995 can bring home the bacon.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I dunno about you, but in Arizona those things have been known to hunt in packs and totally DESTROY autos! I wouldn't think a 995 would be powerful enough :no: Then again, I am against hunting for sport so I haven't tried. But, if one was coming at me I hear they're pretty thick skined and not so bright. Would want to make sure a +p 995 could do the job.

Any other hunters want to chime in?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
A heavy 9mm load (147gr) should penetrate adequately and if placed well should give a quick kill. When I was stationed at Ft Huachuca in the early 80's I took 4 Javelina with an AMT long slide 10mm with a Norma 180gr JHP load. 3 were 1 shot kills 1 needed 3 shots.

Ron M.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dunno about you, but in Arizona those things have been known to hunt in packs and totally DESTROY autos! I wouldn't think a 995 would be powerful enough :no: Then again, I am against hunting for sport so I haven't tried. But, if one was coming at me I hear they're pretty thick skined and not so bright. Would want to make sure a +p 995 could do the job.

Any other hunters want to chime in?
Sure. Being from NM and now living in AZ I have hunted javelina, and actually my brother-in-law is an outfitter. Javelina can be killed with a .22 rifle. They do hunt in packs. I have never heard of them destroying a car as they do not get very large. They are afraid of people. Pigs by nature are one of the most inteligent animals... Some say they are smater than dogs. Javelina are just wild pigs with sharp teeth. When I lived at home we killed our 400 lb. domestic pigs with a regular .22 pistol for butchering. If a .22 can penetrate the skull of a 400 lb pig, then a 9mm will for sure kill a javelina. I say go for it... they can be fun hunts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A heavy 9mm load (147gr) should penetrate adequately and if placed well should give a quick kill. When I was stationed at Ft Huachuca in the early 80's I took 4 Javelina with an AMT long slide 10mm with a Norma 180gr JHP load. 3 were 1 shot kills 1 needed 3 shots.

Ron M.
I lived in Sierra Vista at that time also. I've gone back to see friends, and couldn't believe the growth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.