Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice as far as using your 4595 as a hunting rifle? It's legal for deer in Ohio now and we have some Feral hogs around. Any advice on good hunting ammo and ethical range would be apreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
I have hunted deer and hog with the 45acp. Not a 4595, but a S&W Revolver. I have used both the Lee 452-200-RF and the 452-252-SWC.

The 452-200-RF looks a lot like the bullet in the Buffalo Bore that JH45 posted. Did not work too good. Like the Buffalo Bore, my hard cast bullets don't expand well. Did not work so well on game. The flat metplat is good, but the bullets just slipped in, and usually do not exit. Blood trail is sparse.

The 452-252-SWC is much better. The sharp edges on the semi-wadcutter cut nice holes that don't close up like the found-flat will. These don't always give full pass through either, especially on hogs, but often will on broadside shots on deer. They bleed much better. The semi-auto may not feed them though, my 1911 will not reliably feed them, although it will do ok with the round flat.

I would try a truncated cone before I used the RF, or if my carbine did not function with the SWC. I would not use a hollow point design.

IMHO, the 45 acp is a close range proposition for large game. 20-25 yards, after that, the game walks. Do not expect DRT unless you hit the CNS. Do not expect reliable expansion, and if you do get expansion, penetration suffers. Remember penetration trumps expansion. Use the heaviest bullet you can at the highest safe velocity you can. The 45, contrary to urban legend does not cause little mushroom clouds when it strikes flesh, nor will a marginal hit anchor an animal. It's one of my favorite rounds, but I'm calling it like I see it. It will work for big game, but make sure everything is right.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have always went by the rule that for a humane, ethical kill of deer or hog that you need a minimum of 1000 foot pounds of energy at the point of impact.
The 45acp, even out of a carbine, falls short of that. Could it work? Sure, but I would have to be at very close range and be absolutely sure of my shot placement before I would even think of shooting.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Look up hog hunting with a .22 on youtube. I am not a hunter. If I was out for piggies .223, 7.62x39, or .40S&W would be my choices from my arsenal.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think that the Liberty ammo you linked to would be a extremely poor choice for hunting, especially hogs.
(For some reason I can't get the link to this article to copy. So I just copied the text. )
Hogs can be damned tough animals to kill. Yes, a bullet or slug that blasts into and thru the heart-lung area will surely result in a dead pig. But getting a projectile into those vitals? That can be the difficult part.

A wild hog has a thick, resilient skin—frequently covered in dried mud—stretched out over a nice layer of impact-absorbing fat, and heavy muscles on top of rock-hard bones. Boars are further encased in a “shield,” a layer of tough scar tissue beneath the skin and covering the shoulder areas. Formed through continuous fighting, shields can be two inches thick or better on a really stout boar, and feel a lot like a Kevlar vest.

Hit that shield with the wrong bullet or at a bad angle? You’ll have an angry boar, and a running boar. But you won’t have a dead one.

Plus, unlike deer, a high shoulder shot is not going to drop a big hog in his or her tracks. Heart and lungs are tucked down, forward and behind the front leg.

All that means hog hunters need rifle rounds and shotgun slugs that will penetrate and hold together, expanding as they go forward for maximum take down.

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
IMO people argue weather or not .357MAG is ethical kill anymore. Can a 45ACP sure. Lots of people poach deer with a 22LR. but that doesn't make it right, or easy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts