Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around ehar and there for some time and was wondering if anyone has done any hunting with their HP Carbines and what your success has been. I've gotten mixed reviews from other sites, some say no way, yet others say it can be done and have pics to confirm kills. If this has already been asked I appoligize, I did try to look around first but did not see a post on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Ravingbantha, First of all what do you plan on hunting? I have a Hi-point 9mm Carbine that I have used to kill a javaline in south texas. I bought my carbine for the purpose of hunting hogs with but have never had the chance to take a hog with it, so to answer your question you could use it for hunting provided you keep your shot at short to moderate ranges that's between 50 to say 75yrds, and use good ammo in it like the heavy hollowpoint 9mm stuff. Hope this helps. BTW this is just my opinion and my experience so others may say different. but it all depends on how confident you are with your carbine.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Many stories of gettin yotes with the 995 and a few deer with the 4095 have been told out here. BUT check your local laws before you start hunting. Some state only allow youj X amount of rounds in a weapon and you will need to block up a mag.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
lol thats the fun part when it expolodes JK but my dogs usualy take care of eating it being as i dont know how to skin anything but a catfish but i live out in the country on 30 acres of private land so i shoot anything that moves. Except my dogs of course. Now if i shot something big id probaly think about skinning it but its just a 5 pound rabbit.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
^ :cantlook:

Why waste the meat? Its easy to skin a rabbit. Cut a small hole behind the head insert index fingers and pull opposite ways, skin comes off like a banana.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
9mm and 40sw for hogs is ok. Just get good p+ HP for the hogs the hide is tough and they take it personal. HP carbines seem to love p+ mine all work excellent with them and Corbon Pow'R'Ball just feeds smooth as butter. Its a polymer ball type HP that makes the bullet feed as well as regular FMJ round nose and expansion is very good, wont fly apart at carbine FPS as some HP does. There not a lot you cant take down with those at 50-100 yards. Smaller game can be taken with range ammo but use p+ it's fun to shoot that stuff.

The 995 or 4095 is an excellent rifle for hunting, its accurate and smallish just add a scope if you like. Make sure the caliber and ten round mag doesn't violate any laws in your state.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
lol thats the fun part when it expolodes JK but my dogs usualy take care of eating it being as i dont know how to skin anything but a catfish but i live out in the country on 30 acres of private land so i shoot anything that moves. Except my dogs of course. Now if i shot something big id probaly think about skinning it but its just a 5 pound rabbit.
Why shoot something if you aren't gonna sell the skin or eat it? One fat rabbit in the slow cooker can feed a family of 3 or 4 dinner.

Learn how to skin and prepare game, or how to prepare hides to sell (no one wants to eat a coyote or ****). If you kill it, eat it.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Why shoot something if you aren't gonna sell the skin or eat it? One fat rabbit in the slow cooker can feed a family of 3 or 4 dinner.

Learn how to skin and prepare game, or how to prepare hides to sell (no one wants to eat a coyote or ****). If you kill it, eat it.
True on your 2nd part. BUT as for the first sometimes these have to be destroyed as they are vermin. Coyotes can be destructive and get after chickens ect. racoons will get in your garbage and will also get into a chicken hut and kill chickens and or eggs you want for yourself

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Even if they are a nuisance you can still sell the skins. I never really believed in that though, the only reason they are a nuisance is because we say they are. But I hear where you are coming from. There isn't much of an issue around here because guys hunt and trap foxes and coyotes enough so they have enough to eat in the woods. A dog on the farm will really hinder any critters from sneaking into the chicken coop too, without wasting a hide, or a meal for someone (I guess people in the south occasionally eat ****)

What really gets me is the people in urban and suburban areas that are anti hunting, but then when a **** gets into their trash because there is not enough food for them in the woods they are the first to complain. And want it gone. Proper management in the first place would have prevented it. I'll get off my soapbox now though, I kind of skewed off on to a tangent there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i might try for a small bear with mine this year..... i think it can do it and up hear in AK the unit our baits are in is no limit no closed season on blackies..... iv killed um with a 40#bow and i think my nine Milly might b up for it with some good handloads any ammo suggestions guys?? our shots are all under 20 yards usually about 12

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I don't think there is much of an issue with the 9mm killing a medium sized animal, especially with hollow points. It's all about shot placement. A .22 mag through a deers heart will stop it dead, but a .270 through a hind quarter will make for a bad day.

Bigger calibers just let you get away will less accurate shots, a .270 through the bottom of the lungs will take out other vital organs with the shock wave, but the same shot with a 9mm HP will probably cause you some tracking.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ive always thought it odd that LEOs are taught to double tap a dangerous perp yet hunters are forced into a one shot one kill mentality. With a bolt action this of course makes sense but with a semi very doable. Not promoting the practice just looking at the logic of using one shot when two would be best.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Ive always thought it odd that LEOs are taught to double tap a dangerous perp yet hunters are forced into a one shot one kill mentality. With a bolt action this of course makes sense but with a semi very doable. Not promoting the practice just looking at the logic of using one shot when two would be best.
Well one shot one kill for hunters means less chance of ruining valuable meat for the family or skins to pad your wallet. When I shoot **** or fox I aim for a head shot to make the pelt worth as much as possible, holes decrease the value. If I could get away with a head shot on a deer I would, but because it is such a hard shot your best bet for the most meat is one shot through the heart and lungs, you cant eat the ribs after that shot, but not many people do any way.

I like lung shots personally, it saves the heart for me to eat. Goes great sliced up and fried in garlic and butter on a sandwich.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Take the headshot on does, which are the "meat" deer, and take the lung shot on the "mounters". With a good scope and target practice, headshots can come easy if you're familiar with your weapon and serious about your sport!!! That's the way I way I was taught in southern Arkansas. Two shots on a trophy buck is not wrong by any means. But making sure you take the buck down and out is a must. And by the way, deer can be taken with a 9mm carbine. Just know the gun's limits.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Down south, there's a section of our population that does eat ****. Hell, in south Louisiana they eat nutria rat. LOL

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Down south, there's a section of our population that does eat ****. Hell, in south Louisiana they eat nutria rat. LOL
Hell for all we know it puts kobe beef to shame. Any body that would eat a turkey has no room to talk. :eat:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.