Hurricane Check-In

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dubar, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

All is good here, had a bit of rain and wind, only "damage" was due to an old gum tree limb that broke off in the previous Big Wind but got hung up in the other limbs. Chainsaw took care of it this morning.

Power started going on/off this morning around 0100, but only stayed off for a minute or 2 then came back on. After about the 12th time I hit the circuit breaker for the 25yr old frig, didn't think the old thing could take repeatedly being shocked like that. Of course had to go round the house resetting clocks. Cats didn't like it one bit.

There were a couple of tornadoes in neighboring cities and my shooting buddy's power had been out since 0700.

If that's the only one we get I'll be happy, but they usually don't start showing here until September thru the middle of October.

OH!!! That damn Echo Dot (Ale_a, the letter between w and y is broke on my keyboard) kept going off every 10 minutes with a warning about tornadoes. I was ready to sling that thing. I'm gonna need a nap later.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    lklawson and 1024Megabytes like this.
  2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Not a lot here. They were calling for 4" of rain. I would be surprised to find out we got an inch. Thunder-boomers, wind. The power went off, but came right back on. Just enough to reset all the electronics. Rain was over before 7am.

1024Megabytes likes this.

3. The eye of the storm came about 25 miles east of me, but it wasn't bad here. I woke up about 3:30 and my power was off, but it was back on when I got up about 7:00 am. Not even a whole lot of leaves down in my yard.

One of my goats had babies last night, twin girls. Going to give them hurricane names on their registration papers. I think one is going to be Eye of the Storm and call her Stormy.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    1024Megabytes likes this.
  4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Mom lost power in Topsail last night but her husband fired up the generator I wired in to their house last summer and I got the update along with a video call to walk them through running their AC and kitchen without overloading the generator.

She's not spoiled or anything...

RandyB, ajole, Rerun and 4 others like this.
  5. Zorba

Zorba "The Veiled Male" Member

Hurricane? What hurricane?

6. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Lots of branches down around the house, leaves everywhere eh... all in all not bad.

Did have a couple trees snap in 1/2 about 60 yds from the home. Those will be cut up and added to the firewood pile!!

Rerun likes this.
  7. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

You could name one Thundering (or Thunderine) and the other Lightning (Lightneen) :p

Greg B. likes this.
  8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Its quite here

Twisty likes this.
  9. histed

histed Supporting Member

Four drops on the windshield yesterday - Much Ado About Nothing. I should have been a weatherman - only job I know of where you can be wrong every time and still keep working

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

How about Dr.Fauchi. and Dr.Berks?

Zorba, RandyB and histed like this.
  11. histed

histed Supporting Member

And PA's very own Rachel (Richard) Lavine? Good point, Trash

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Shit spoke to soon. It rained here this morning. Still safe though

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Hint of fall in the air with cooler weather, what is a hurricane? LOL Gota little rain, enoughto boost the garden...

Merle and moona11 like this.