Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Apr 19, 2015.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Let's say a completely retarded @$$hole ran a .45cal bore brush through a 9mm barrel. How bad would this stupid douche screw up his new high dollar firearm?

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    If he pulls the brush all the way through without reversing it, he should be able to avoid damaging the bore. If he reverses the brush, however, he will cause the bristles to gouge it.

3. cicpup

Vermont
    So let's say this absolute idiot knew enough to push it all the way through before pulling it back. Several freakin' times. And didn't realize his error until he changed the brush to run a pad through it. The fool in question has inspected it with a bore light but honestly he couldn't tell an original groove from a new scratch to save his life.

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If the brush was brass or nylon it will not damage it, if it was steel it "might" leave some very minor scratches, but that would be about it. Unless this person had a steel brush chucked into a drill and ran it 24x7 for quite awhile, he would not cause any serious damage.

5. I agree with FlashBang.

Also, he shouldn't use this experience to give any merit to the fact that his wife has been calling him 'a completely retarded @$$hole' for some time.

6. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I had a "friend" that did the same thing the other day... but I'm going with FlashBang, as long as the brush was brass or nylon it will not damage it.

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Brass. "Hypothetically" this umm.. person had just finished cleaning his .45 1911 and was moving on to his brand new Beretta M9 just as his wife decided that was the perfect time so start an inane conversation with him. Needless to say this ditzy broad completely distracted him and he ended up grabbing the wrong brush.

And I... I mean "HE" really loves that Beretta.

8. cicpup

Vermont
    That's besides the point.

9. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I'd say the brush might be toast for using in a .45 again.

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Exactly. A brass brush will not harm the bore. Even on a high speed drill, which you should only be using if the bore has 100 yrs of fouling in it like my old mausers.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Brushes are cheap. Barrels aren't.

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    If the original grooves and new scratches are indistinguishable, then it sounds like the brass bristles did no harm.

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

Unless the material of the bore is softer than the brass brush, its dang near impossible for it to cause any harm. You've got nothing to worry about, unless youve got a brass barreled gun of course.

14. histed

histed Supporting Member

I've actually done this on purpose with a couple of my revolvers, using a .40 or .45 brush in a .357. Works very well for removing lead, but the brush is crapped out for its originally intended barrel. Never had a problem with damaged barrels.

15. colthrash

colthrash Member

if a brass brush ruined a steel barrel, you have much bigger problems (as in never firing that particular weapon again...).

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I use a brass brush on a drill and never had a issue. Had to use several brushes to clean the lead out of a old carnival 22. You couldn't see the rifling before and after it was nice and clean and the rifling magically appeared. No worries about brass on steel.

17. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Shouldn't hurt the bore. Probably destroyed the brush.

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

20 gauge brass brush chucked in a drill is great for degumming Mosin Nagant chambers...

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That it is.