Hypothetically: attic find full auto.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 22pistol, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Say you found a old full-auto firearm in your attic.
    What would you have to do to retain it? Is it even possible?

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Unless it was on an NFA tax stamp it should be destroyed or demilled to required specs. If it was not NFA registered prior to 1986 there is no way to now get it on the books for personal or Trust possession. Possessing it would get you 10 years in a Federal Penitentiary if caught with it.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    But what if he found it in the Basement??? :rofl:

Sucks to be you, Pistol! :( :p :mad:

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's actually happened several times now. Unfortunately, it is just as flash says. Last one I heard of was donated to a police department so that at least it would not have to be destroyed.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

5. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Something close to that happened here. Except the one's finding the full auto in their basement was the county sheriff's office. They were able to work with the ATF to prove the Thompson had been their's since 1935. Not sure if it had been registered according to the 1986 law or not. They got permission to sell it to a collector.

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_a4188747-fb60-5574-8634-0d83ab2f1a3f.html

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

If I found that I would shut up and stash it! I see full auto ban getting overturned eventually and then it could be brought out!

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

True dat!...... If it hasn't been noticed for years, it ain't gonna be any different when I bury it....

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

So those crates I found maybe I shouldn't post pics :-D

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

These hypotheticals happen, when the do, the best thing to do is "leave it in the attic" and not mention it to anyone unless you're willing to lose it, and a few years of freedom.

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

It was actually sold to a privately owned and operated museum that holds a Federal License to possess these types of firearms. It will never be able to be legally owned by an individual or a Trust. ;)

11. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Hypothetically, an ATF SWAT Team will be at your house tomorrow.

Best to not be home. Let them take it. :eek:

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think if I did find something like that, it might take me 10-20 years to determine if it is really FA or not.

I mean...it could be a stuck firing pin, right? I'd have to try it, clean it, try it again, clean it...a few hundred times. I like to be thorough.:cool:

13. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

You sound like a starry-eyed optimist. I see more bans (quite possibily through executive orders) and restrictions on what is currently legal in the future.

14. No gots

This truly IS hypothetical, it was something that came up, sitting around the turkey table. I wasn't going to call the lawyer over the holiday for a "what if" so I figured this forum would know.

15. Optimist.

I think you need to clean that crystal ball.

16. same here and
    The last thing i would do is put it up one the world wide web :rofl:

17. But there is almost no chance of that happening.

If caught with one here is what would happen. The ATF would do a background check on you. Then ATF would notify you that they wanted to talk to you and arrange a time to do so. A couple of guys from the ATF would show up, say that they just enforce the law and don't make them. Then ask to see the gun.

They'd tell you that it they need to take it from you. Tell you what the find and jail term is for having it. They'd then fill out a form for you to sign and wish you a nice day as they left.

Now if you are a drug dealer, dealing in FAs or making them to distribute they will handle if differently.

18. If that is done, several states will just pass a law to provide for the arming of it's militiamen with them. It's possible that a state or 2 will even do it before any ban is done.

All federal gun laws are regulation of commerce and not militia laws. So no federal law or executive order would apply to such a state law.

The SC has already directly ruled that such a state law can't even be taken into court.

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Yeah, they give you an undercover job with the DOJ.......

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You don't know her very well, do you? LOL
    OR the current wave in real gun laws and such.
    We are GAINING GROUND much faster than the LSM
    (lame stream media) would have you believe! On the
    state level at least, and the F'ed level, it's not even
    a stalemate, with some progress being made!

BESIDES,

I am "grandfathered in", (but not for FA) and own plenty of stuff.
    They can pass no law or execute no "confistication" <sic> that will
    make me lose my 2A Rights! The 2A is "Self-Perpetuating"
    because the guns that are currently in the hands of "We the PEOPLE"
    are self-protecting :eek: No Strings Attached!
    Like YamaMoto (or wtf ever his name was) said:
    "A Rifle behind Every Blade of Grass!" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If we truly have a Constitutional Crisis or an Invasion,
    they will truly see just how many firearms and Gun Owners there really are!

I say perhaps 200 Million Armed Citizens, 500 Million Guns,
    and TRILLIONS of ROUNDS of AMMUNITION!
    (if not 10's of trillions) Suck on THAT, Gun Grabbers!
    It's a LOT BIGGER Than You Thunk!!! :p

...that's what she said...