I am an Idiot

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by planosteve, Feb 11, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I torn my JHP down for the first time today to give it a good cleaning and lube and in the process the sear cam (part #11) disappeared. :eek: I tore my work area apart looking for it but no luck. :eek: So I called MOM and after the 5 try I got through. :) They are mailing the part out tomorrow for free even after I told them that I lost it. :D Gotta love the warranty.

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

I've done the same thing twice with my Cobra .32, damn miracle I found both the spring and the sear! Someday, you'll bump into it.

3. planosteve

With our luck it will be a head on collision. ;)

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    LOL
    You could lose an anvil in a clean room, Plano! :D

5. Better than me. First time i tore down my CF 380 was the first time ever tearing down a hand gun.

I just wanted the slide to come off, and pieces fell out of the grip.
    I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it back together, took the grips off and more pieces came out.

Eventually i joined this forum, and sent it back to mom :D

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Admitting it is half the battle.

7. planosteve

I told the guy who answered the phone at moms that hey I'm an idiot I lost this piece. He said don't worry about it it happens all the time

8. planosteve

That's not quite true I wouldn't lose the anvil I'd drop it on my foot

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    LOL
    JK man, I have done a similar thing many times :D

10. planosteve

I will admit that I have never owned a firearm where so may parts can just fall out during disassembly. Not complaining just an observation and I know better now. Next time I'll watch the video first.

11. TopGas

TopGas Member

For a basic "field strip" (not so easy to actually do in the field) for cleaning, I believe that most will recommend that the grip panels NOT be removed. With the grip panels in place, nothing in the frame portion of the gun should "just fall out during disassembly". True, some of those parts CAN be removed but you have to work at it a bit.

Of course, you could lose parts from the slide assembly but they generally "fall out" predictably and aren't terribly small.

When I take things apart, I usually lay out a light colored terrycloth towel to work on. Makes the parts easier to see and slows down the "roll factor". That being said, I have had parts take off and hide for a while but I've always been able to find them. Just lucky, I guess.
    TG

12. When it happend to me. I actually dropped the gun while trying to put the slide back on with one hand and push the pin with the other :p

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Don't feel so bad the first time I took apart the rear A2 sight I lost a the bearings. Spent 2 hours looking for them. Learned a good lesson that day.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    I think I want one of those magnetic parts holder dish thingies... ;)

15. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

MoM took care of mine sear pin issue also

16. TopGas

TopGas Member

Actually, they are pretty handy! I have the dish kind and one that's like a shallow rectangular plastic tray with a piece of thin magnetic sheeting that lines the bottom of the tray. The magnet at the bottom of the dish type is MUCH stronger than the thin sheet magnet on the bottom of the tray type. Of course, they don't work on the non-ferrous parts.
    I think that I got the dish at Harbor Freight but I can't remember where I got the tray.
    TG

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Plastic bag works better. If you use it ;-)

18. I took my JHP upon return from first firing, disassembled to clean and dropped firing pin and springs, glad my area was clean. I had disassembled prior to shooting to check over for fit and finish and lube when purchased, but things didn't fall apart. I am sure glad I didn't tear down at range, I probably wouldn't have been so fortunate. I know now I won't tear down at range.

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Just keep your hand over the hole when you remove the slide. You're lucky those and the recoil spring didn't shoot across the room. That's always fun.

20. I lost my doll's head and firing pin springs the first time I took my JHP apart. I found them across the room a half hour later. Next time I will disassemble it inside of my range bag and decock it first.