Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next month or so I will be ready to buy a carbine. I see that many of you have the 995's and speak highly of them. I would love to have a 4595 to have ammo commonality. But it looks like the 4595 might be 6 months to a year away yet.

So what do you guys think? 995 or 4095? Lets hear all the pros and cons of each. I am no expert on calibers and how they react to barrel length but I do understand what is going on so if you get technical I will understand it (well I hope to).

Ultimately my requirements from an HP carbine would be best accuracy and stopping power at the greatest distance. So which one wins? 995 or 4095?

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the next month or so I will be ready to buy a carbine. I see that many of you have the 995's and speak highly of them. I would love to have a 4595 to have ammo commonality. But it looks like the 4595 might be 6 months to a year away yet.

So what do you guys think? 995 or 4095? Lets hear all the pros and cons of each. I am no expert on calibers and how they react to barrel length but I do understand what is going on so if you get technical I will understand it (well I hope to).

Ultimately my requirements from an HP carbine would be best accuracy and stopping power at the greatest distance. So which one wins? 995 or 4095?
No doubt the higher caliber will be superior for stopping power. But you will be able to afford to shoot more with 9mm, although maybe that's not an issue for you.

I'm guessing accuracy is roughly equivalent in both.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

No doubt the higher caliber will be superior for stopping power. But you will be able to afford to shoot more with 9mm, although maybe that's not an issue for you.

No not really, price diff in ammo from 9mm to .40 is not too much of a concern to me at the moment. Its not that I am well to do or anything, just that I only get out and shoot 3-4 times a year. So my ammo costs are less for me than for someone who shoots every weekend.

Would it be advisable to shoot with a heavy grain bullet using a +P load in these carbines or does it really matter?

·
Registered
50 Posts

No not really, price diff in ammo from 9mm to .40 is not too much of a concern to me at the moment. Its not that I am well to do or anything, just that I only get out and shoot 3-4 times a year. So my ammo costs are less for me than for someone who shoots every weekend.

Would it be advisable to shoot with a heavy grain bullet using a +P load in these carbines or does it really matter?
What are you planning to use the carbine for? Plinking only, or more serious purposes too? I would just use a standard FMJ from Walmart if only the former.

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have both the 9mm and 40cal in Hi Point carbines and also range shoot both rounds in Sub 2000's. With the Hi Points I'd say the 995 is the easier / quicker to handle of the 2 (no difference w/the Sub's = same size). Also the 4095 has less recoil, better for quick repeat shots and makes it more comfortable at the ole cheek weld as well. As far as your stated requirements I'd suggest to go with the 40 cal. According to Chuck Hawks the 40 S & W was developed in 1990 for law enforcement as a more comfortable / usable replacement for the unruly FBI 10 mm Lite round (which was originally the FBI upgrade / replacement for the 9 Luger) that gave about the same performance as the 10mm Lite with the use of a smaller 9mm sized framed handgun. Myself overall I like the 40 over the 9 because of the performance, but I have to admit I always end up using the 995 more often than the 4095, especially for plinking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems like the 995 is the hot production model right now. Here in Florida you can find a few 995s every now and then. But once the word gets out, their gone.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like the 995 is the hot production model right now. Here in Florida you can find a few 995s every now and then. But once the word gets out, their gone.
There's a 995 Classic in Sterling IL at Rigler's right now with the red dot scope for $249.00. I held it in my hands on Monday. I do not want the old style stock though.

After much discussion with a gunsmith buddy of mine I have decided to go with the 4095. But now I need to find one with the new stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see 995's allot up my way but the majority are vastly over priced! I too have been looking for the 4095 but they just aren't out there.
Jay

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good luck finding a 4095!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
4095s are a myth started by Obama to confuse you and delay your purchase!

Hard to find and dont know why, I much prefer the 40SW in a carbine or pistol for that matter. There just arent any real Cons to the round.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

If you had any interest in reloading I would imagine that ammo commonality would become, a little bit, more important to you. If you buy all your ammo, however, you might find it to be an advantage to own both calibers. There are times when you might only be able to find one or the other.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts

Hard to find and dont know why, I much prefer the 40SW in a carbine or pistol for that matter. There just arent any real Cons to the round.
Don't youmean 4595 is a myth? I have a 4095 and LOVE it!!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Now you are just showing off...

·
Registered
772 Posts

+1 Shooter Z. I really prefer my 4095 to my 995. Only problem is there are not any bling parts for it like there is for the 4095. I imagine the same situation will prevail when the 4595 hits the market.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Good luck finding the 4095.
No joke, best carbine they make at that. That 40SW is fast becoming my round of choice for pistols, just one 45ACP left and I just cant make myself give up that Springfield XD.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
No joke, best carbine they make at that. That 40SW is fast becoming my round of choice for pistols, just one 45ACP left and I just cant make myself give up that Springfield XD.
You SHOULD keep it!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You SHOULD keep it!
Yeah there nothing quite like producing that hand cannon from seemingly nowhere to change the dynamics of a situation. Since Ive already gotten the Crossbreed holster for it it packs so well no real reason other than storage to give it up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts