I believe in yesterday!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by doktor, Mar 16, 2008.

1. doktor

doktor Guest

I went by our "gentleman's" gun store, he is only open in the mornings during the week, for the coffee klatch crew, but on Saturday, he is open for actual "gun" shopping.
    Any how, I walked in and on the left side of his "long" gun cabinet, in it's own little section, was what I, at first glance, thought was an old Remington 66. It in actuality, was an FIE .22 that for all the world, looked to be an old 66. I am not necessarily a collector, as I've said before, but it sent me back reminiscing of days gone by. I was about 12 when I got my first weapon, and yup, it was one of those old Remington 66's, I don't remember the serial number, I do remember that it was the brown "genuine" plastic wood stock. I remember that first day in the woods, we had all shot .22's, but they were all single shot, this thing you could dump about a "million" rounds into the buttstock of that thing, bullet end first. Pull that bolt back, take very careful aim, squeeze the trigger, "bang", but the really cool part with that nylon "genuine" imitation wood stock, was that you can then, with absolutely no further pulling back of the bolt, and with not having to break the barrel, or lifting the handle to eject the spent cartridge, and put another bullet in place, push that bolt forward, and finally, squeeze off the next round, not on your life, with that "genuine" imitation wood stock, the next round was right there, ready for that next squeeze of the trigger, was "bang!"
    We all have a bunch of first's in our lives, our first day in nursery school, our first day in kindergarten, etc.
    I had pretty much forgotten, completely, about that little rifle, but I can still remember the "safari's" we went on, up in the woods of central Maine, and central New Hampshire. There were "giant grizzly bear" frogs in the brooks, "ferocious" tin cans, laying in wait, around every bend in the 4 foot wide "Amazon" beaver pond. The stops at the "last outpost" general store, where we could get a 2 scoop ice cream cone for a dime, an 8 ounce bottle of Coca Cola, for a nickel, and a box of .22 long rifle for the last dime, of that quarter, that we had spent all morning picking blueberries for, and never even considered that a whole morning's work walking through the brambles, scraped, bitten, and bruised, was only worth a quarter. I thought of all the times now when I have had to pay a kid $20-30 dollars to cut the couple dozen square yards of my yard that isn't covered in pine forest.
    I went back to a time when your parents never would have to tell you,"don't point that gun at anyone!" You absolutely knew that from the NRA range safety classes that you attended all throughout the school year.
    I remembered never even thinking about walking down the street with your "prize" .22 caliber "elephant" gun, cased, very carefully, in an old wool blanket. There was never any thought of any one taking it from you, because, whether it was a single-shot, a pump-action, or a semi-automatic, every one knew whose gun was whose. We all went to gun class together, and afterwards if the weather was good, and we had an extra dime between us, we might go by the rock quarry, and knock out a few cans, before we went home.
    But every one of them wanted to use that old 66, cause you didn't have to reload every time.

By the By, yes, I wrote them a check for the $79 and took it home with me, I had forgotten how much sheer fun a tube-fed .22 can be.
    No it is not that first gun, but just pull it up to my shoulder,and the many long years, and lifetimes that have gone by, start to melt away, and I can still feel that "grizzly" frog bite the dust.
    I had purchased a "new" 66 many years ago, and I was deadly with it, but youth was still with me then and I gave that gun to my brother before I left for my first Germany tour. It was stolen, never to turn up again.
    That new 66 was about $69.95, I looked up on gunbroker.com what they were going for, used, I was surprised to see several available, but most were $300 and some much higher.
    For $80, I can treat this one the same as I was able to treat that "first" one.

What are some of our other "first" stories
    I expect many are similar, but I have probably come as close to "recreate" that first rifle, with this wonderful old "beater" rifle, I hope that I can bring the same thrill to my youngest grand-daughter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc

2. Thanks for sharing Doc, that was cool to read.

3. My grandfather gave me his 1962 Nylon 66 10 years ago for my 18th birthday. It is a great little gun, and I will never get rid of it. Great story, thanks for sharing.

4. I have the Nylon 76 lever action. Bought new in '62 for 67.50. Up until 2 years ago, I shot it fairly regularly at targets. Had better 22s for hunting. I quit shooting it when I was offered $500 for the stock. These little guns have reeally appreciated. Who'd have thunk it.