I Don't Think So...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Think1st, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    An article claims that a Florida woman went to the hospital with a .38 bullet wound, days after she sustained it because she didn't realize that it was a bullet wound, in the first place. According to her account, she was at an outdoor cafe with friends on the evening of The 4th, when she heard what she thought was a firecracker, followed by a pain in her thigh. She thought that she had been struck by something associated with a firework.

After several days of pain, she finally went to the hospital, where doctors discovereded a .38 bullet in her thigh. Because of its proximity to her femoral artery, the bullet will stay where it is.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/10/florida-woman-discovers-was-shot-days-after-incident/

Allegedly, someone had fired a revolver into the air around the time that the fireworks were going off, and the bullet came down into her thigh. This is what the police believe had happened.

Nevertheless, this just doesn't sound right. First of all, if she had had a bullet penetrate so deeply, I very much doubt that she would have mistaken it for just some debris from a firecracker. Secondly, such a wound would have caused so much trauma that regardless of what she had thought the reason was for it, she would have gone to have it treated.

My suspicion is that she or someone she knows was being stupid with a revolver and had a negligent discharge or some other irresponsible thing happen with it. From there, she conspired to protect all involved from trouble by hoping that if she left the wound alone long enough that it would heal. When it didn't heal, she had to come up with another story to cover up why she didn't go to the hospital earlier, all while making sure that responsibility was properly deflected.

Thoughts and assessments?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You'd think doctors could tell a fresh wound from one a few days old, so I'm buying that part.

If a bullet did indeed come down out of the air, it might not do that much damage.

But how long would it take for that bullet to come back down? And close enough, that she heard it and felt the pain right away?

I'm not buying that.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My BS senses are tingling......

4. Think1st

Florida
    They'd definitely be able to tell if it was an old wound. I also buy the part about the age of the wound.

I have a suspicion, though, that she didn't want to go to the doctor when it happened because something nefarious led to her having been injured, in the first place, and I am guessing that she didn't want it being found out. She probably was hoping that she could gut out the pain until it healed without having to see a doctor and risk having to explain the wound.

5. I hate saying it...but maybe.
    I will admit something stupid; when I was a kid, we built marble cannons; copper tube, a ton of duct tape, and an M80. I decided it would be cool to shoot it at a brick wall. I did, and it shattered the marble, and I felt a really sharp pain in my right side. I figured I Was just pelted by a piece of the marble. About a week later, I got pus oozing out. Turned out a piece of marble the size of my thumbnail penetrated all the way to the lower layers of fat under my skin and made it's home there; shredded all the tissue around it. But I didn't feel anything other than the initial sting. A little soreness, but I stuck a bandaid over it since I thought it was just a cut. Not a fun summer.

I'm guessing in this case more than a fair amount of alcohol was involved. Along with that, I Can see this happening.
    But the other possibility is valid, too.
    But my adrenaline levels were so high

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Nefarious, yeah right....

* I'm calling it a false flag operation.....white self inflicted in order to start a race war...:rolleyes: *

7. Think1st

Florida
    I was thinking more along the lines of an ND with something that shouldn't have been there, with it going off inside of a purse and being slowed down on the way through something enough to keep it from going farther into her leg than it did.

You and your false flags, SWAGZ. You really need to stay away from Prison Planet and Mother Jonesin' for weed.

8. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

I blame all those Diet Soda drinkers who eat cupcakes.....its wrong so very wrong!

9. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

I know there are many instances of people being injured or killed by falling bullets...BUT I think this one sounds kind of like bs to me.

First, I'm not convinced a typical .38 round has the weight or shape do much damage simply falling and flipping at something like 120mph, not if it hits something fleshy like someones thigh, maybe a good welp and bruising, but imbedding itself half way through? If it were shot in an arc yeah, but not just straight up losing all of it's original momentum and spin.

If it were something heavier and pointier like a boat tail rifle round or something I still wouldn't believe it because that's going to leave a decent hole with some good leakage, nobody is dumb enough to have a hole put in them where it's not supposed to be and not realize what caused it is inside of them.

Plus, I've never ever once saw a normal modern woman get any sort of injury like that and decide to just cowboy up and walk it off.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :D False Flag :D (added :foilhat: for you!)
    You're missing the vital ingredient...
    If it was a "false flag", the media would be all up in dat!
    I LOL'ed! :D :rofl: ;)

:D Not with that type of name, at that kind of place :D

But I can think of the physics involved, and yes, it could happen!
    The delay is the most fishy part, however...

11. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

It definitely could, but it would be a very very slim chance of penetrating that deep in the thigh by simply falling, probably tumbling, without any rotation left to it. There's just a lot of muscle and probably fat there to soak up the impact...assuming it wasn't an arced shot of course.

But I think she was trying to protect someone, or save herself embarrassment.

12. Think1st

Florida
    My thoughts, exactly.

13. Obviously you've never met my wife. :p

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    He said "normal modern woman" :rolleyes:
    :D

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    Bullets shot straight up can kill, so why not a 'less than lethal' injury like this?

All I am trying to do is explain why the POLICE might buy into this. No
    complaint, no paperwork :p Everybody WINS! Plus, physics allows for it.

PS: I don't buy her story either... ;)

16. Think1st

Florida
    On "The Blaze", they had a picture of her entry wound on the outer part of her upper thigh, with an x-ray showing the bullet having come to rest inside of the thigh. Just eyeballing what I saw, it looked like the trajectory was too flat to have accounted for a bullet coming down from an arc.

17. undeRGRound

INDY
  18. Think1st

Florida
  19. undeRGRound

INDY
  20. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member