I dont understand gun prices!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by gregj, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gregj

gregj Member

Sorry for asking such a newbie question, but I really dont understand why some semis are $800-$900, and more. A friend carries a Kahr P9 and P40, so I thought I would look into them. I found a PM9 on Auction Arms for $840!!

There cant be that much of a difference in quality, can there be? Seems most makers use the same materials, or at least very similar. Manufacturing tolerances and QC must be similar, or the products wouldnt remain on the market for long. I mean, a $20 hammer will drive a nail just as well as a $200 hammer. Prices like this make me feel really smart for buying an HP.

2. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Thats the same reason a lot of the guys who spend $800 on a gun get upset when a $150 shoots just as well or better than their baby.

3. Reliability aside, there is a difference in overall feel from my Hipoint C9 to my Sig. My Hipoint just feels like a plain basic handgun that is a tad bit lacking in polish (machining marks, how its put together, etc).

My Sig on the other hand just feels a lot smoother and silky. When you pull the trigger, it feels very smooth. Almost like the parts are encased in some sort of lubricant whereas the Hipoint feels much grittier in the trigger pull.

They both might be equally reliable just like a cheap Kia and a BMW however the BMW just feels a lot nicer in overall feel.

4. Careful there. My $6000 Kia was going 120 and still climbing when I realized it and took the foot off the gas.

But yeah he has a point

5. Ari

Ari Guest

Ya but the BMW will out break your KIA at those speeds without cooking the breaks, and the BMW will out handle your KIA in the corners at race type speeds. But your KIA is a better daily driver... :D

6. How high of a cliff did you have drive off of to reach that kinda speed? Hope the landing didn't hurt.

7. griff30

griff30 Member

+1!

8. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

there is definitely a quality difference between a $150 gun and a $500 gun..

there isnt as much of a difference between a $500 gun and an $800 gun.

9. It's all about the brand name. When you go to the grocery store, do you buy all the brand name can foods or the store brands that are usually 50% less?? Who do you think pays for all the advertising?? You do. There are also some that you pay extra for because of reputation. Colt was that way for years and may still be. Basically, it's you, the consumer, that decides the price. If everyone decided they didn't want to pay 800 for a handgun, eventually the price would have to come down because a company cannot survive if their product isn't moving.

10. I think it depends on what you are looking for in a weapon. Some people only want something that will make a piece of lead fly through the air, and anything that does that for them is fine.

To other people, weapons are status symbols, or works of art, and no matter what the cost, from cheap to super expensive, they look at various aspects of their weapons other than just being a projectile launcher.

Myself, do I enjoy the looks and feel of my P08 Luger over a Hi Point pistol? Do I enjoy the status of owning the pistol and just holding it in my hand and enjoying showing it to friends? Yes

But do I prefer to take it to the range over my less expensive Hi Point pistols? Not really, they all do the same thing, make a bullet go to a target, and that is my ultimate objective.

It all depends on your perspective.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

There is a line... There are true production costs, if you have a crew of folks who took a few years of training (that cost time and money) who you want to keep happy. They are the ones hand matching your slides to frames and polishing the feed ramps. Hand tuning all the triggers before they leave your factory. That all costs... Then no one gets into business to loose money. So you have your profit margin you have to look after. At some point if prices fall you have to just stop production. I used to work at a gold mine. At the time if gold dropped below $274 for very long we would have had to close.

That is the beauty of Hi-Point. If some one today would come to me and show me a business plain that includes making firearms that retail for $200 for a carbine that they are going to put a life time warranty on. I would tell them that they are just flat NUTS! Not only has Hi-Point done it they have now been around ten or so years.

12. That is also why so many of the old milsurp weapons are such fine weapons.

They were produced by some of the finest gun makers their countries had to offer, and you can see some craftsmanship that costs thousands of dollars to replicate in todays civilian weapons.

13. Ari

Ari Guest

Very true!

14. neothespian

neothespian Member

Weapon prices vary depending on a TON of different applications.

Me? I LOVE my C9! But, if I had the chance, I'd drop cash down hard on a brand new Jericho Semi-Auto. Why? AMAZING craftsmanship, history and it just FEELS right. It's the same arguement when it comes to buying certain cars. Why would someone buy, say, a Miata when you can get a Mini Cooper convert that technically goes much faster? Simply because of how it feels. Both are capable cars, but sometimes you're willing to pay for that bit of feel that you just can't get anywhere else.

That's what makes an item a masterworked piece instead of a "good" piece. And, those items aren't always mass produced or easy to get, so supply and demand kick in.

15. gregj

gregj Member

Good points all. But since a Kia and BMW comparison was made earlier, as was a quality difference between a $150 gun and a $500 gun, I look at it this way;

Say a Kia costs $25K, and a similar model BMW costs $50K. The BMW costs 200% more than the Kia. To some this difference is worth it in status, quality, etc.

Now say pistola 1 costs $100 and a similar model pistola 2 costs $800. Pistola 2 costs 800% more than pistola 1. I guess the same applies that this magnitude of cost difference is worth it for the status, feel, quality, etc. But that is a BIG price differential.

I guess having one kid about to go into college, and another one ready to go in when the first gets out, is making me look real close at what I'm getting for my money. I drive a GMC truck and a Honda motorcycle, so I try to get the most for my hard earned $$$, care nothing for status or what others think. This, plus the great rep of the HP, is why I ordered one. :D

Maybe had I more range time with some of the guns on the top end of the quality scale, I would better understand. And it's probably better that I dont. :wink:

16. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

well, youre doing good, that honda motorcycle will most likely outlast many other brands..

and youre right, if you had the chance to spend more time with higher end guns, youd agree they are indeed nicer... an extra $400 nicer, maybe not.. but defintely nicer.

17. For standard pistols, I have found that the 300 dollar mark to be the sweet spot. I'm not talking about compact inexpensive pistols (below 9mm) but rather semicompact and larger normal 9mm and larger pistols.

From 300 and up (especially from 400 and up), the quality differences between the low end 300/400 dollar pistol and a 800 dollar pistol are much less than say between a 150 dollar pistol and a 800 dollar pistol (excluding milsurps).

My EAA witness was a 369 dollar pistol and feels pretty darned nice, a lot nicer than my 139 dollar hipoint. It feels close to my Sig but not quite.

Thats why I prefer to buy 1 300 dollar gun rather than 2 150 dollar guns.

Also I try to buy used more often than not, I'm very mechanically inclined and I can tell when a used pistol is good or not.