I feel like I'm making a drug deal!

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by Dagwood, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I'm sitting here in the parking lot at dicks sporting goods, waiting to meet a guy for some bulk pack .22lr. I feel very sneaky. I was at sportsmans waiting for The doors to open to see if they got any 22 ammo in on their truck last night.i met a guy and we started talking and turns out we are both there for 22 ammo. Long story short, I am waiting here to meet him to buy three 500 round bulk packs of thunderbolt for 30 bucks a pack. Glad to get it, but geez, is this where we've come as a nation? Sneaky ammo deals in parking lots...

2. cktvt

cktvt Member

Say three Hail Mary's and sell me a brick for 35.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    At least he's not gouging too bad.:rolleyes:

4. Yeah only 8.00 mark up.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have made more gun & ammo deals in Gouger Mtn's parking lot than I have EVER done in their stores. I always try to make an exchange somewhere close to a gun store. People that are familiar with the area don't FREAK out when they see a gun in the parking lot!

6. Rerun

Rerun Member

WHAT?

That's double what it was two years ago - $16.90/brick (500 rounds)!

If everybody would stop buying ALL .22 ammo for just three months the price would drop to what it was two years ago!

Really!

Hades! In three months, ALL the orders would catch up and the stores would become OVERSTOCKED and they would have SALES to get rid of it!

eldar

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    "The Great Ammo Embargo of 2014" :D

8. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I thought 30 bucks a brick wasn't a bad deal. Thats .06 cents a round. I'm sorry, but prices for .22lr ammo are probably never going to go back down to where they were a few years ago. Neither is the price of beef, or pork or limes etc... Take your pick. this is the world we live in now. Inflation is real whether the made up numbers by the feds reflect it or not. Regardless, .22 is still the cheapest plinkin you're gonna do. I remember when I could get a hamburger for .25 cents as well. That was then, this is now. I don't see anyone calling for a hamburger embargo. LOL

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

with people still trying to gouge everyone else and whatnot, prices won't drop much, if at all.
    Stores are pricing so the gougers won't be able to make as much money, and inventory is slowly coming back.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Man I got 6 kilos of 22, meet me behind the farmers market in Dallas. :D

11. cktvt

cktvt Member

I think the 22 shortage is being exacerbated by the lack of reloading opportunities. Yeah, we've all heard that it's possible, but show me the reloads. Reloading 22 rimfire, if it could be done with reasonable ease and practicality, would be a game-changer.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
  13. undeRGRound

INDY

I was just getting ready to research that, I read a post by a guy doing it.
    He said it was slow going...

14. cktvt

cktvt Member

Yeah they were cryin' about $30 bricks in '09 on that prepper forum; a $30 brick these days is a bargain. :mad:

15. undeRGRound

INDY

"Engineer" something from this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0QSX4NcU0[/ame]

Proof of Concept, now "engineer" a mass production solution! :D

16. cktvt

cktvt Member

The rub, of course, is how in H-E-double-hockey-sticks to pop out or smooth out the dimple in each rim where the firing pin struck, and then recharge the inside of the rim with priming agent. The rest of the reloading process would be pretty conventional.

17. cktvt

cktvt Member

Seemed to me more like "proof of the futility of the concept" :rolleyes:

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    There is an existing device that reshapes 22lr cases for use as .223 jackets...
    I'm sure a rim-reformer could be made. But how economically would depend
    on level of (mass) production. But this is the perfect time to market it! ;)

19. cktvt

cktvt Member

OK undeRGRound, put down that box of used 22 cases and step away from the reloading station. You may not realize it but you're suffering from a condition known as rimfire madness. It's like reefer madness but is much more debilitating. Its victims suffer from delusions of being able to re-prime used 22 brass. The only known cure is a good rap on the head with a brick (of new CCI stingers). With time and patience I'm sure we can restore your grasp of reality. ;)

20. undeRGRound

INDY

If I get to keep the brick of CCI, I am sure I will be cured :D :p:p:p