Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's best friend came buy and asked if I wanted this 32 inch flat panel TV that didn't work any more. She didn't want to mess with fixing it so I figured what the heck, maybe I can fix it right. It is a Sharp AQUOS 32" LC32D47U LCD HDTV that is only 2 years old.

I plugged it in and turned it on. The screen came on and said "Please Wait" for about 1 second and it blinked off but the sound still worked. So I did a search on the internet and found that these TV's are prone to have this problem. It is supposedly a loose "Driver Board and the loose board causes a bad ground and the bad ground causes the screen to black out. I tore the back off of the TV and saw 3 PCBs none of which resembled the picture-less description of the driver board I read off of the internet.

I let the parts sit on the dining room table for a couple days while I pondered what to do with the TV. Do I take it to have it fixed or do I chuck it. The darn thing looks new.

So this morning I look at it one last time and just as I am deciding to chuck it, I saw a glimpse of a PCB inside the inner metal case that holds the screen. So I started to split the case. I had to remove all of the electronics and the back half of the case to get inside it and there I found the "Driver Board". I removed the shield from the Drvr PCB (hmmm... the screws weren't very tight) and flopped the board over and saw a beautiful sight... carbon tracks on all the grounding points. I soldered jumper wires from ground point to ground point in a daisy chain formation and left a pig tail that I fed through the shield on reassembly.

After I re-installed the back of the metal case and reattached all of the PCBs, I took the pig tail, tinned the end and screwed it down tight to the metal case. I was cocky and reinstalled the outer plastic shell then took it to test out.

I said a prayer, plugged it in, and hit the power button. I was ecstatic when the set turned on and stayed on. Then it acted up a little only because I didn't have the original remote. I went to Wally-World and got a universal remote. With the new remote I was able to default all settings and get it hooked up!!

Man... what a deal! A free 32" LCD TV!!

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Nice job man! Don't you love it when that happens :D I get all sorts of free electronics because people don't know how to fix em. Shoot the server I have at my house was free and all that was wrong with it was a bad hard drive.

Congratulations on a sweet free TV man!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell me about it!

People just give away PC's that are only a couple of years old "cause there slow"!! All I do is format them to clean out all the add-ware and spam-ware, or replace the occasional bad part and then give them to friends and family who can't afford PC's. (of course the free PC comes with a "Don't EVER call me when it quits warranty" ) :)

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
I think you may be giving Kripp a run for his money for good deals. Although his are all for firearms.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
If it does happen or you get another freebie that you do have to chuck..don't just chuck it, blast the heck out of it with your favorite HP and post pics. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
317 Posts
If it does happen or you get another freebie that you do have to chuck..don't just chuck it, blast the heck out of it with your favorite HP and post pics. :devilsidesmile:
+1

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had the same thing happen at work .. My boss had a smasung LCD monitor that just quit working .. They got a new monitor and were going to toss the old one . I asked if I could have it for parts and they said that would be fine .. I took it home and found that the processor on the display board was the problem .. Upon checking into getting parts for it I found out that it still had over a year left on the warranty .. Called them up and they sent me a refurbished unit at no charge .. MY GAIN , THEIR LOSS :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad I didn't think of that earlier or I might have enthusiastically taken it to the range without much more than a quick looking over and a "yep its broke... lets shoot it up! " lol!!!

I so wish that I had taken pics because there were so many posts on the internet from others with the same Sharp TVs that had the same problem and no pics. It would have been nice to have a step by step in photos. Worst part of it was I had the camera right behind me on the desk the whole time. DOH!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.