Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a pamphlet in the paperwork and it says you can have loaded pistol (HP) in the glove box...Opinions, please...

Thanks in advance,
SP

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
You can legally transport weapons in Florida. Without a CCL they better not be accessable though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dont you have to have the gun in one compartment and the ammo seperate if you dont have a ccw? and btw on this subject if you have a ccw can you have ur gun loaded in your car or does it still have to be locked up and seperate from the ammo? thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to Florida's statutes, so long as the weapon is "securely encased," it can be carried in your vehicle. And "securely encased" basically means anything with a zipper or a lock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
so that means in a locked gun case or in the glove compartment if u can lock it right? but can it be loaded or does the ammo have to be seperate from it? i heard something along those lines, im gonna sit down and read the pamphlet soon just figured i'd ask while the question is fresh in my mind

·
Registered
18 Posts
The statute does NOT say it has to be locked. Just encased. And there's no difference, anywhere, between loaded and unloaded. Under Florida law, every gun is presumed loaded -- or, more accurately, there's just no distinction between loaded or not.

I keep my C-9 in a case, zippered, loaded, and with safety on while driving.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
you do not need a ccw to have a gun in your car in florida. as lond as it is in a case of some sort, glovebox, centerconsole, hustler in door panel, even a shoebox on the passenger seat. It also can be loaded.

There is no such law that it cant be accessible, or the ammo needs to be separate, or any kind of steps. I hear people all the time say that it needs to be three or four steps to get to i, NOPE.

I have a Kel-tec p-11 Loaded with 10xJHP, one in chanber and it sits in the center console ready to go. If i'm in a shady neighbor i'll open the console and all i'll have to do is grab it and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
you do not need a ccw to have a gun in your car in florida. as lond as it is in a case of some sort, glovebox, centerconsole, hustler in door panel, even a shoebox on the passenger seat. It also can be loaded.

There is no such law that it cant be accessible, or the ammo needs to be separate, or any kind of steps. I hear people all the time say that it needs to be three or four steps to get to i, NOPE.

I have a Kel-tec p-11 Loaded with 10xJHP, one in chanber and it sits in the center console ready to go. If i'm in a shady neighbor i'll open the console and all i'll have to do is grab it and pull the trigger.
So, you are saying without a CCL you are within the law doing this?

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Even with the console open it is in a holster that it slides out of so it is still by definition encased.
And this is legal without a CCL

5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC25.HTM&Title=-%3E2006-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%2025#0790.25

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
In a holster isn't securely encased and not readily accessible for immediate use. Sounds like you are pushing it IMHO.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
There was a pamphlet in the paperwork and it says you can have loaded pistol (HP) in the glove box...Opinions, please...

Thanks in advance,
SP
With no permit, pistol (loaded or unloaded) must be in locked case inside locked glove box or locked trunk. If you are stopped and your vehicle is searched and the weapon is found, you Go To Jail.

With valid concealed carry permit from FL or from 30, or so, other states on the reciprocity list, you can carry it loaded on your person or in the vehicle. The key is it must be concealed, no open carry, i.e. not on the seat, but under the seat, or in a holster that is not visible. When they say concealed, they mean concealed.

Yes, I have my FL CCW.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Even with the console open it is in a holster that it slides out of so it is still by definition encased.
And this is legal without a CCL

5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC25.HTM&Title=-%3E2006-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%2025#0790.25
You left out the most important part:

(2) USES NOT AUTHORIZED.--
(a) This section does not authorize carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, as prohibited by ss. 790.01 and 790.02.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Okay so I just got my first gun last week and I know u don't need a permit but how would a police officer know it isn't stolen and it really is yours? When I picked it up from my ffl he said u don't register guns in florida, how does that work??

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Okay so I just got my first gun last week and I know u don't need a permit but how would a police officer know it isn't stolen and it really is yours? When I picked it up from my ffl he said u don't register guns in Florida, how does that work??
Don't worry about it. keep your receipt in a safe place. Cops have better things to do than check serial numbers on firearms. If you get stopped by the cops, as long as you are doing what you should, and the weapon is stored according to state law, you will not have a problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Okay cool, one more question, aren't we supposed to get firearms registered tho? Or is that a state by state thing, sorry I'm confused lol

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Okay cool, one more question, aren't we supposed to get firearms registered tho? Or is that a state by state thing, sorry I'm confused lol
For the most part no, always check for yourself. Places like kali or NY or illinois, i beleive you have to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts