Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent
A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125.

But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

He said: "This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action and has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

·
1,792 Posts
That is "F" in awsome.

Why you ask. Cuz that proves they only want you smart enough to do what your told and have no independent thought.

Go bust that womans head open and shoot her dog. Cuz I said so..

You all get my point although poorly displayed.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ive always known that cops were only a little smarter than crooks, well now we know.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
the smarter a person is when it comes to books,
the more they lack in the "common sense" area.

That's why a scientist can't eat a meal without spilling something on his shirt, a doctor doesn't have penmanship for beans, and "educated" people seem to have no social skills.
However bubba can spit chew from a moving truck and not get a drop of juice on the paint; He can write something on paper and you can read it, and can tell fart jokes to anybody he comes in contact with.

There's a trade-off, seriously... It's the balance of being educated and still retaining the common sense and street smarts that make an officer great. Ask anyone in the field.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts

That's why a scientist can't eat a meal without spilling something on his shirt, a doctor doesn't have penmanship for beans, and "educated" people seem to have no social skills.
However bubba can spit chew from a moving truck and not get a drop of juice on the paint; He can write something on paper and you can read it, and can tell fart jokes to anybody he comes in contact with.

There's a trade-off, seriously... It's the balance of being educated and still retaining the common sense and street smarts that make an officer great. Ask anyone in the field.
I gotta agree after seeing so many "smart people"

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Come on guys you cant seriously equate an education with having problems spitting out of a window. A few too many cliches in that.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Well minds 139 and you dont want to be a hostile within 600M. Ok 600M is a tough shot I only hit about 50% of those when I can get out west for a range that large. I am still jealous of you guys living out there except for the left coast.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
No

I gotta agree after seeing so many "smart people"
Now I gotta chime in here.

There's physics involved with spitting chew. The molecular cohesion and specific gravity are chew spit are such that it can be launched into a headwind on the proper force vector and given a trajectory that doesn't intersect with the plane of the vehicle (maybe the vehicle behind it).

And then there's the chemistry and physiology of farting and the psychology of humor that is involved in telling fart jokes.

And there's the dexterity and artistic ability in handwriting.

And shooting is chemistry and physics, and a little math.

I think an educated and highly educated people can do these things, thank you very much. ;) And people with an entirely intrinsic understanding of these things can do them too. So there! :D

And IQ less about what you know (education) than it is about your capacity for learning. Although IQ is broken down into Verbal IQ and Performance IQ, so one can conceivably have a very high verbal IQ and a low performance IQ and still come out a higher than average overall IQ score (the afored mentioned inept eggheads) or a high Performance IQ and low verbal IQ (the ones with intrinsic understanding of things) and also come up with a high overall IQ.

My favorite comic strip is (was) Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin's complaint about school to Hobbes was that "Rather than teach me thethings I really want to know, for some reason they'd rather teach me things that any fool can look up in a book".

Mine's about 120 BTW if anyone cares.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, in my opinion, the guy couldn't have been that smart... I mean, he wanted to be a police officer for crying out loud!?!

For the record, to all my friends in blue out there, this was a joke... mostly...

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Mine is about 12" oh wait, we we're talking about that other thing that gets exaggerated :D

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
First off, it looks like we have a lot of improbably smart people here.

Second off, not all smart folks are inept - you just remember the inept ones because they played up their smartness to compensate.

There were a couple of jocks in my Calc 1 class in high school. They did as well as I did, and I'm a geek.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Mine is about 12" oh wait, we we're talking about that other thing that gets exaggerated :D
Seriously my IQ is 245... :cantlook:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Bah 139 isn't much just means you read a lot and are adept at pattern recognition. Intelligence cant be measured since they still haven't even defined it. What IQ tests do seem to reveal is education level more than anything else I guess that's indirectly related to intelligence much the same way shooting is related to eyesight.

·
Registered
602 Posts
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent
A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125.

But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

He said: "This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action and has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.
Biggest Laugh Ever!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
602 Posts

That's totally true too.

The worst thing in the world, is when you go out to lunch with co-workers and you try REALLY hard not to get anything on your shirt.
And you succeed.

Cause then you get all excited and your bragging, "Look, nothing on my shirt!!" and they give you the look.

The look that says, Great job Forrest! I'm glad I could be a part of your tard triumph over gravity.

I hate that look. But it's always funny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts