Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am going to get my hands on a digital camera as soon as I can.
But I grabbed some pics of the keltec website for those who aren't familiar.

That said, I bought 2 new firearms this weekend.

Stopped by my favorite shop Friday and was immediately told by one of the guys there "I got a present for you!" He went in the back and walked out with a Keltec Sub-2000. It was used, but in great shape. Got it for $199. That and a 30 round glock mag $230 out the door. It really was a present. They're usually $330, saved myself $100 & got a 30 round mag with the deal!

Saturday my girlfriend decides she wants to go to Trader Joes :roll:
Now, I really don't like taking her there because, as small as the store is, she can spend 2 hours looking at the fruit and cheeses there.

On the way there she says "Hey, wasn't there a gun shop near here you wanted to check out?"
I say, "Oh yeah" and reached up into the CD holder in my visor & pulled out directions (I like to be prepared).

So we go in, and immediately I see a used (again in great shape) Keltec SU-16a, complete with scope rings and sling mount, two 10 round mags and an aluminum 30 rounder. It was $440 so I asked how firm is that?
He threw in a Magpul 30 rounder & I ended up paying $430 total.

I think I did pretty good! :lol:
Only went through 10 rounds in each so far (was in my girlfriend's backyard & it was raining). But so far so good!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Nice buys dude!!!!

How does that SU-16 shoot? When I fondled one at the last Shot Show, the seemed a bit flimsy on the stock and built in bipod, but the irons seemed solid enough.

Give us a range report soon ok?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty well actually.
I knew going in I was going to replace the stock sights with the improved sights of the B model (AR-15 style post). But whomever owned this before me had them dialed in pretty well. Which I guess is a good thing since the keltec sight has the "B" sights listed as out of stock :/

The bipod? yeah, that's pretty flimsy when deployed - but it's a neat feature anyway. When it's folded up it's pretty solid. I may go the route some people do & replace the forend, but for now I am just going to leave it as is.

The rear stock was also surprising to me, I thought I would dislike it, as I favor pistolgrips, but its actually pretty comfortable.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Keltec today & it turns out they do have a few Bravo style sights, so I ordered that - and I know I just posted yesterday that I liked the rear stock, but as I said I prefer pistolgrips. So I ordered the AR stock conversion kit as well.

Not sure when I am getting to a range next. This weekend is pretty much out. Headed up to gfs again. She's got a roofer coming Fri/Sat and a woodburning stove installation on Sunday & she wants me around.

Maybe I can sneak off from work early next week, if not I am definitely going to make time the following weekend.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manged to sneak out for an hour or so. Put a hundred rounds through both and like them both very much. Though, the standard front sights IMHO stink.
Groups on both were very acceptable after dialing them in a little better. The SU-16 beats my Saiga .223 in terms of accuracy - I was pleasantly surprised at the groups to be honest. Of course the Saiga beats the Keltec in terms of ruggedness, so I guess it's a tradeoff in that respect.

As I said, I ordered replacement sights and an AR pistol grip kit for the Su-16. Both of which are waiting for me at the GFs as I type this. I also ordered an Ace ARFX stock from Del-ton to go with it.. hopefully it will come early next week.

I also, went and ordered a replacement front sight for the Sub2000 from Blueforce gear. A bit pricey, but comes with AR-15 sight post and a picantinny rail underneath, so I justified the purchase by rationalizing that I wouldn't need to buy the Keltec rail for $20.

Someone said they'd lend me a digital camera next week, so I'll post some before and after shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts