Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 25 yrds with 150 grain bullet it shoots the same as it would at 100 yrds with a 30/06 {it really does we set up targets at both ranges and shot} ...........My dad says this is how they used to always sight there guns in ......

Have you guys ever heard this

And is this for pretty much all rifles { i am gonna help my buddy sight in a 7mm mag}

Or is this new to you guys

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I heard 10yds = 100yds. Ive also heard only 10yds = 10yds and 100yds = 100yds....so who knows. I do know its hard to see the red dot from a bore sighter at 100yds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At 25 yrds with 150 grain bullet it shoots the same as it would at 100 yrds with a 30/06 {it really does we set up targets at both ranges and shot} ...........My dad says this is how they used to always sight there guns in ......

Have you guys ever heard this

And is this for pretty much all rifles { i am gonna help my buddy sight in a 7mm mag}

Or is this new to you guys
I always start at 30 yards. I find if I sight in dead on at 30 I'm within a inch or so at 100. I always fine tune at 100 but it sure does same ammo to start at 30. Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks .... he bought a brand new gun and new scope .......so i know its gonna be all over the place for awhile till he gets it tuned in ................... i told him to buy a laser bore sighter ..but he is too cheap

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I would suggest looking at the ballistics chart for the bullet that you are using.

What you heard may indeed be correct for a certain bullet but I doubt it is true for all bullets of different calibers and weights.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Get at 50 yds. Remove bolt. Place rifle in a good shooting brace or firmly on sandbags. Look down bore from breech end. Line up bore with center of target.Look thru scope.Line up cross hairs with center of target.Done.It's boresighted and you're on paper. Now your ready to sight it in @100 yds. 7mm magnum!!!!
Get a recoil pad!!

G

·
25 yds = 100 yds is a good starting point after bore sighting. then fine tune at a 100 yds . Thats the best way i've found. Before deer season my buddys keep me busy helping them. I've got seaveral scoped rifles and thats the best way. Saves alot of ammo and time to.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
bullets fly in an arch so there are generally two points what are balistically equal but they are slightly different for each bullet weight, so I generally don't bother with it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Get at 50 yds. Remove bolt. Place rifle in a good shooting brace or firmly on sandbags. Look down bore from breech end. Line up bore with center of target.Look thru scope.Line up cross hairs with center of target.Done.It's boresighted and you're on paper. Now your ready to sight it in @100 yds. 7mm magnum!!!!
Get a recoil pad!!
This is what I do!!!

G

·
This method works well for most rifles and bullet weights. Its just a starting point. You have to sight in and shoot at the yardage you really want to fine tune the load to the gun and scope.Nothing is 100% except triping the trigger at the yardage you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.