64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some pictures of my 995.

Ihope I did this right!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I finally put away my film camera and went digital, so this is new to me. :blink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installation was pretty simple and straight forward. I had to cut about an inch and a half off the fore end of the stock, the same length as the lower rail body. The bottom rail extention supports the fore end of the stock. The receiver rail extention was cut off of the top rail. The kit comes with some rubber pads and a plastic bushing. do not lose them they are very important to the installation. From there I just followed the instructions. There was one issue I had to contend with. The quad rail attaches to the gun by clamping the barrel and stock between the top and bottom sections of the rail at the front with four socket screws. the problem was the Hi-Point stock, being in two halfs, would start to open up when I tried to tighten the rail and couldn't secure the rail. I threaded a long machine screw across the two peice stock so it couldn't separate and applied some blue locktite to secure it. I put a rubber pad between the stock and barrel, another where the rail goes over the receiver cover and one between the lower rail extention and the stock. Now the quad set up was really solid after I tightened it down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doesn't leaving the front site on interfere with the scope?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The iron sights co-witness the dot sight. I can still look over the iron sights and use the dot sight, but I'm thinking about adding a 1/2 inch riser under the scope making it even more useable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try.

I,m still learning how to use this new fangled digital camera.
The top rail extention was cut off just behind the scope mount, as seen in the other pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is probably one of my favorite 995's with the factory stock on it that I've seen so far. Nice.
VERY nice! Now THAT'S how to work with the factory stock. this is just the set up i've been looking for. Most important though, it looks like you put in some solid craftsmanship for an even greater firearm. Good job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much! I have to give credit where it is due. A post by bigopie1, on 1/31/08, showing his 995 rail conversion. He showed that it could be done. All I did is follow his lead.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Now that's a project. Well done, sir! :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Newskate9. Building it was half the fun! Yes that is electrical tape at the bottom of the grip. It keeps the tennis grip from sliding . A dab or two of glue secures the top so the grip don't doesn't slip. I took it to the range today and when I finished for the day, I couldn't help myself, I had the biggest grin on my face! First the bad news. my 15rd mags don't like American Eagle 124gr fmj. They feed 124gr Rem. Golden Sabers fine but will not feed the American Eagles (?). I had 3 more ten rd mags, so on with the show. The fun began when I uncased the gun. there were three other shooters on the range. They all gave the gun a look that screamed "what the hell is that". I just smiled politely. I loaded up and began dialing in the sights (first target sheet. Target order 3-4-5-1-2). I loaded thirty rounds an put up th second target sheet and fired ten rounds into each target, rapid fire with the red dot. As soon as the sight settled on the target I fired. When I stopped shooting, I heard another shooter say " I think he's finished and noticed that the range was quiet. I went to load two more mags and another shooter came over and asked What kind of gun was it. I proudly told him Hi-Point 995 carbine. His eyes widened in suprise, then he smiled and said "Nice!". I shot the last two targets, pulled the target in and just smiled ( I felt like jumping and shouting but...). After that my firing pin broke, but I didn't care. The project was complete. It was the gun I wanted, the way I wanted it to look (looks good to ME). And it shoots like... see the second picture.

Target was shot a 15 yards. indoor range. That was the other half of the fun

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
nice gun but how you gonna fix it now ? are you gonna buy the fireing pin ?i don't think highpoint will ship out just the fireing pin well yea they might. the problem is if you have to ship that gun to them they might strip it down and bring it all back to stock form and send it back to you and send your parts back to you in a seperate box.lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just called Hi-Point and asked them to send me a new firing pin and a spare! A tech called me back the next day and told me that the new firing pin assembly is different from the original set up. the firing pin is now hardened and has a longer sleeve where the springs fit into the firing pin. The springs come as one unit instead of two separate springs. My package arrived this morning and I replaced the firing pin. When I reassembled the gun, Everything lined up with only a minor windage adjustment to the dot sight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Installation was pretty simple and straight forward. I had to cut about an inch and a half off the fore end of the stock, the same length as the lower rail body.
Question: did you have to cut an inch and a half off the slotted, metal. . .shroud (?) from the original gun: you know, that piece that runs down the length of the barrel and sits on top of the stock?

Or, did that piece fit under the rail?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.