Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's grandfather came through town for a visit this week. This evening the whole family went out to eat and the discussion of firearms came up and the grandfather and I got to talking about our collections etc.

Long story short. He asked me if I wanted to have his favorite rifle he used for hunting squirrel. I am just going to be the caretaker of it as I am supposed to turn it over to my son some day.

It is a Savage over and under. It is a lower 20guage and a .22mag upper. It is around 40 to 50 years old. I don't know any more than that about it.

Are any of you familiar with this particular model gun?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Those are probably one of the best squirrel and rabbit hunting firearms made. They also are an excellent training/first gun for a kid. If you take proper care it should last forever. Parts are easy to get and you can get synthetic or wood stocks for the gun. I started out with the 22lr/20ga version myself. My son has it now and I hope when he has kids one will get the gun.

Ron M.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a similar Savage O/U but in .22LR over .410. Mine dates from the 1950's and I used to hunt with it back then as I grew up. When we had appraisals done a few months ago, it appraised at $325. Yours may appraise higher since it is chambered differently. These were available in several different caliber versions. I think these are nice guns and I found the rifle to be quite accurate. Our son up in Wisconsin wants mine and we are going to give it him now that he and his family live in the country.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my grandfather stated that this gun will rust very easily and that i really need to keep it well oiled etc. He said that the finish wasn't blueing and was something else that was prone to rusting. What is he talking about? I only saw the gun for the first time last night and he wants to do one more squirrel hunt on it before he hands it down to me. So I will not have it in my possession for a week or so.

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
Dude, that is the one gun I WILL buy the very next time I see one for sale. Model 24, they go for a LOT more than that in my neck of the woods...

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here it is. Its in pretty nice shape. It doesn't have a serial number. I didn't know that it was legally possible to manufacture a gun without one in this country, but this one never had one. There is a mark in the barrel on the left side that is a circle with a "39S" in it, is this a manufacture date?

The name that is engraved into it is my wife's grandfather's name. Years ago he was at a gun show and an old Indian was there doing engraving by hand and did the work for a few bucks.

This gun is destined to be handed down to my son. Grandpa wanted him to have it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got that same gun manufactured in the '70s. My uncle sold it to my father and someday I'll hand it down when one of the kids is old enough to appreciate it. It's a great gun and although I don't shoot it much now it was a holy terror on rabbits back in the day. They do go for a premium on the guns sights too.

Serialization started in '68 or '69 IIRC. X

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
They are fun guns for sure! One thing to watch out for though is some of them (maybe all not sure) have a weak point at the selector plate that switch firing between barrels. It breaks and renders the gun useless. Mine is broke now waiting repair (for the last 8 years!)

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
tjbeggs, any interest in selling? :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like many have stated b4 these guns have appreciated in price lately. The models are tremendously fun and come in a wide variety of calibers and models, here's a site that should get all your questions on origin and problem shooting answered.

http://www.savage24.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.