Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For hunting on land posted "No hunting." Even though I have written permission to hunt there...

I wasn't hunting, I was just out leisurely shooting at clays set up a long the bank of the river. And some guy...just some guy drove by and could see me from the bridge over the river, called the Sheriff on me. I saw him up there on his phone, thought nothing of it. Then I shot all the ammo I took down there, loaded up and started to head home. There are two entrances to the place, the easy way through the gate. And the fun way through the field, this idiot had the easy way blocked with his little Honda apparently, I didn't know because I didn't go that way. By the time I was through the field, two Sheriffs were at the exit. I pulled up to the great, waved to them. Unlocked the gate, and drove out. They hit their lights, so I pulled over in the ditch and killed the truck.

They told me to stick my hands out the window, open the door from the outside, then step away from my vehicle. I did, followed their orders. I dropped to my knees, they gave me a quick frisk and placed me in cuffs. And there I sit while everybody in this small ass town drove by and saw the situation.

They asked me where the firearm was, I told them it was in the hard case on my front seat. They checked it, then came back and asked me what I was doing there. So I told them "I'm shooting" They continued to look at me like I should be saying more. They explained the situation, apparently the guy who called me in was scared for his life to see somebody shooting there. And they are charging me with trespassing and discharging a firearm. Then I said it "I have written permission to shoot here, Frank(the owner of the land) gave it to me over a year ago and hasn't told me otherwise."

They asked me who Frank was, I explained to him that he is the owner of this land and he lives a few towns to the South, he left this land to his son to farm on, he didn't it, so he is now using it for storage, blah blah blah. "That don't check out" they told me. And went back and talked to this guy, meanwhile I'm still knees down on a muddy dirt road, there I sat for 20 minutes of so, still in cuffs. They came back and told me that Frank left the neighbor..who's name is Terry Dean, the one who called me in. They left the land for him to keep and eye on and run anybody off who goes down there. Except his son, and a select few people. I'm one of those select few people.

I explained to him how I have permission, and can call Frank for proof if they need it. And how he told me to keep and eye on his land and run anybody off who comes, and I don't know who this Terry person is and I want to press charges on him for trespassing on land I was told to watch. They laughed in my face...literally. Then told me I'm the one under arrest and am in no position to be making threats.

I kept saying, "Let me call Frank, the OWNER of this land who GAVE ME PERMISSION, and I will straighten this whole thing out." They finally told me that the neighbor has been trying to get a hold of his son this whole time because Frank don't own a phone. I told them my phone is on the charger of my center console on my truck with Frank's number on my call list. I called him to tell him that somebody had been down there, because there were 12ga shells everywhere, and I don't own a shotgun anymore.

They let me make the call, he didn't answer...

I reminded them that I have written permission to shoot here, and can provide it with no problems. Then I asked if I could at least lock the gate before they haul me away. The two went back to one of their cruisers and talked. Another thirty minutes went by, and they finally came back and uncuffed me and told me that Frank is the registered owner of this land, and the neighbor has no written documentation of being in charge of the land, so he has no power to press charges.

They wrote me a ticket to appear in court, with the written permission slip. And informed me that I had probably not shoot there anymore until we settle this. And reminded me I'm still under arrest, just uncharged at this time so I better not leave the county. I told them I go to school out of the county and live on campus, just come of for the weekends. They told me they don't care, I better get notes from a classmate. Court is two Wednesdays from now, I'm going to get withdrawn from my classes because of attendance.

I don't know what to do...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Geez, sorry to hear that Masso.
Dont know what to say.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would consult a lawyer or call the county or city attourney. Raise hell. And I'm pretty sure they can't just "say" your still under arrest.

·
Registered
107 Posts
lawyer, NOW. and when it all goes dopwn the tubes sue them in civil court for unlawful arrest.

SW
+1 LAWYER UP! And I would make some phone calls and see if it might be done pro-bono as it is a civil liberties case. Some lawyers would work it knowing that you will have a high probability of filing a nice lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Do your best to find a lawyer. Then get the charges dropped against you. The next step is to sue the living hell out of whoever you can sue! It should be pretty a easy case to win if you can get the landowner to come in and testify.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a hold of the land owner(had to drive way out there to see him) he said first thing tomorrow morning he is going into the local Sheriff's office to give his side of the story. While he did ask the neighbor to watch out for suspicious people about a month ago, because some of his farm equipment out there was stolen and vandalized. He forgot to inform him that a kid(me) often goes out there and shoots. I've been going out there for years to shoot, almost every day when I had ammo, and almost every weekend for the past couple of weeks, hell; I even went out there yesterday. Why the neighbor chose this time to call me in is puzzling.

I'm hoping with his statement tomorrow, that all this will blow over. I don't want to sue nobody, especially the Police. I've been working hard these past few years to get on their good side. I'm even starting to get some respect for some of them. They didn't take my guns, they didn't take me in, and they haven't caused me to withdraw from classes yet.

This whole thing was just a big misunderstanding.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I don't think I know anyone with as many "issues" as you, reading a Masso post is like watching 1/2 hour of Cops.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
They have no authority to restrict your lawful movements. I would contact their Chief, with Frank, if possible and get the whole thing kicked. I would complain about the officers trying to restrict your movements.

In effect, you got a "fix it" ticket. You show up with your proof and the case is dropped. I am hoping Frank gets a little pissed about the whole affair too.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Call a lawyer, but don't sue.

And shame on everybody else yelling "sue them!!!"

Everybody being so damn sue happy, just wanting to make a quick buck, has helped trash this country. Its f***ing pitiful.

Just get a lawyer to get you out of any legal trouble, and I'd go ahead and go to school if I were you.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Call a lawyer, but don't sue.

And shame on everybody else yelling "sue them!!!"

Everybody being so damn sue happy, just wanting to make a quick buck, has helped trash this country. Its f***ing pitiful.

Just get a lawyer to get you out of any legal trouble, and I'd go ahead and go to school if I were you.
Suing them will ensure they never abuse their power again. It will send a clear message to them.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
stupid hick cops period. its just as illegal for them to invent laws for you to follow than it is for you to break laws the actually exist. they exist to enforce laws, not make them up as they go along.

id sue them, then donate the money to the police department with a stipulation that they use it for training, LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Suing them reinforces bad behavior, its damn sad that everyones answer is SUE THEM!

That's what caused the dumb lady to sue because her coffee was hot.

Or the criminal who was breaking into someones house, fell through the skylight and landed on a butcher knife cutting himself, he sued and won.

Outrageous and unnecessary suing is what causes doctors to have to charge so high rates, its why car insurance rates have gone up over the years, people are just f***ing lazy and would rather make the quick buck, at someone else's expense.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Suing them reinforces bad behavior, its damn sad that everyones answer is SUE THEM!

Or the criminal who was breaking into someones house, fell through the skylight and landed on a butcher knife cutting himself, he sued and won.

Outrageous and unnecessary suing is what causes doctors to have to charge so high rates, its why car insurance rates have gone up over the years, people are just f***ing lazy and would rather make the quick buck, at someone else's expense.
In this case it is neither outrageous nor unnecessary.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dustin is right as far as I know only the land owner can press trespassing charges not a cop!!! They violated his rights he should sue them he was embarrassed and treated poorly.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
i would have your friend go with you to see the sheriff and explain everything to you ALSO explain to him what the others are doing as well compain to him about the harassment ALSO Get a written letter from your friend giving you permission to be on his land have him dater and sign it Get copies made original goes in a strong box or where you keep other important papers and a copy with you and a copy with your gear then if it happens again you have a copy somewhere near you.

as for a lawsuit you'd be asking for more crap falling your way .i've seen what some can due and the crap they pull if someone sues them and it can be nasty.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
See what happens once Frank comes in and says his piece. As you mentioned, you have been working hard at improving your relationships with local LEOs, this might work out great in the end, maybe even an apology and a handshake.

Be ready to lawyer up, though, if Frank is a no show.

Another NO vote on suing. It won't change their behaviors much either way, it'll only increase the departments liability insurance premiums, which cost they pass on to you, the taxpayer, anyway.

·
Registered
506 Posts

WRONG. Those people didn't have their rights violated. They were guilty of being morons.

Masso has done nothing wrong and restricting someones movement is a violation of our natural rights. The scale doesn't matter, weather I am told not to leave my home, or my block, or my city or the state. If they have no cause to arrest and are just making stuff up to cover for their own ignorance of the law then on principle they should be held accountable. I'm sick of people not standing up for themselves.

Perhaps a public apology in the news paper would suffice rather than suing for money damages though.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.