Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HUGE VIRUS COMING! PLEASE READ & FORWARD!

Hi All,
I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!
You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.
This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.
If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.
It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.
COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.
REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

·
Registered
602 Posts
Since when is SNOPES an anti-virus authenticator?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not worried. I use Linux so this windows based virus would do nothing to my PC.
I truly feel sorry for the people that have to worry about the 600,000+ pieces of malware, addware, spyware, viruses etc for windows PC.
For those that do use windows. Keep your PCs updated and take every precaution, even if it sounds like a hoax.
Better to be safe than to have your identity stolen or to have your hard drive crash and lose all your info.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't worry about virus because I don't open any attachments and I don't click on links that I don't know where they are going. I've never had a virus problem. I've worked on many of friends computers who did not follow this advice though. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Stop using windows for your Internet purposes and go to a Linux based machine and you wont have to worry about any of this stuff.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Linux ftw.

As a general rule (with 1 exception for the blaster worm that I can remember) any email you get regarding a virus, just delete it. Any anything that talks about "burning C: drive" or "destroy hard drive" or anything like that is a steaming pile of BS. Viruses can infect the boot sector and make Windows do some nasty things, but it's nothing that a good formatting can't get rid of.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Stop using windows for your Internet purposes and go to a Linux based machine and you wont have to worry about any of this stuff.
Until everyone goes to Linux. Then you will have the same problem because these people will direct there aim at Linux which has it holes also. I do like Linux though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't worry about virus because I don't open any attachments and I don't click on links that I don't know where they are going. I've never had a virus problem. I've worked on many of friends computers who did not follow this advice though. :D
Sorry friend but you dont have to "open any attachments" or "click on links" to get mallware these days. All you have to do is put your computer on the internet. Go to a web sight. Thats it. Getting viruses or other mallware is MUCH easier these days than it use to be.

On the NET think of it like this. Compare it to the real world. If you ware walking down the street and just looked at a girl and could get a VD. OR if you were standing down wind of someone you could get a VD. This is what the NET is like now for your Windows PC.
You are much better off having your Windows PC for non-Net use and have a Linux or BSD based OS PC for internet use.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Linux ftw.

As a general rule (with 1 exception for the blaster worm that I can remember) any email you get regarding a virus, just delete it. Any anything that talks about "burning C: drive" or "destroy hard drive" or anything like that is a steaming pile of BS. Viruses can infect the boot sector and make Windows do some nasty things, but it's nothing that a good formatting can't get rid of.
True. But why reformat the hard drive, or the boot sector or do anything when just using a different OS for your internet purposes would eliminate your Windows PC exposure. And eliminate the chance of losing pictures or personal info.

Also many years ago there was a virus that caused the read and write arms on the hard drive to chatter, causing the heads to come in to contact with the hard drive platters, once this happens your hard drive is wasted. Take it out. Throw it away. Buy a new one.
So viruses CAN cause material damage to your system. Not just informational.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry friend but you dont have to "open any attachments" or "click on links" to get mallware these days. All you have to do is put your computer on the internet. Go to a web sight. Thats it. Getting viruses or other mallware is MUCH easier these days than it use to be.

On the NET think of it like this. Compare it to the real world. If you ware walking down the street and just looked at a girl and could get a VD. OR if you were standing down wind of someone you could get a VD. This is what the NET is like now for your Windows PC.
You are much better off having your Windows PC for non-Net use and have a Linux or BSD based OS PC for internet use.
I am very aware of how these things work and how easy it is to get in trouble. My point was if you are wise enough not to go to sites that have malware and not open attachment and sit behind a firewall etc... You can keep from getting these things. I have been a windows user since early 90s and have never had a problem. I have also used Linux but I prefer windows. I usually have both on my PC but still would much prefer windows. Everything just works all though Linux has gotten much better at that. What I mean by works is you don't have to go hunting down library's and everything just to make a program work. I'm a computer programmer but I hate using the command line crap. I just want to be able to get a program and have it install no problems. Like I said Linux is getting better at that but just not quite there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts