I just lost any respect for Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/article/104561/11-Worst-Cars-Consumer-Reports

All they gave a crap about was fuel milage and driver comfort. Im one of those guys who will actually take a vehicle and push it to its limits on and off road. Consumer Reports is now officially a waste of time. If a vehicle performs well off road it should be included in the report not just the "these vehicles are tested how most drivers will use them" line. Seems consumer report may have an anti chrysler bias (as if we didnt know that already)

SW

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

Well, let's be TOTALLY Honest about the driving habits of most Americans:

-Many buy for looks only, thinking "Oh, that's the warranty's problem and the dealer's. Not mine.
    -Nearly NONE of the SUV's sold in the US will EVER see "off road" conditions. They're for show. For a false sense of "Security" because they think bigger means stronger (when in fact many of these SUV's are actually weaker in frame strength because they are unibodies and use stock sedan components instead of truck grade components)
    -In a recent study, recent car buyers said that CUPHOLDERS and IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS ranked over 0 to 60 times or drivetrain improvements when it came to buying a car. Hell, Pontiac is actually advertising that they have the most cupholders in it's class :roll:

Consumer Reports are only giving the information that people are asking for. Our society as a whole is dumbing down because when it comes to the operation and reliability of a machine, they don't WANT to think about it, because it's someone elses problem. When they do use it for an off-road purpose or what not, they simply DEMAND and EXPECT it to perform like a Range Rover Defender 90, and when it doesnt...Time to Sue!!!!

They're only giving the public what they want to hear....

3. Yeah they aren't really fair reports. Everyone knows you give up a lot of comfort for a Jeep. A vehicle like this should be judged on what it is designed for. Not what it could be used for (street/highway). And the H3 is well documented for having some crazy underpowered in line 5 cylinder engine so no secret surprise there.

4. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

That is because the new H's aren't even a true hummer. They are built off the GM truck chaises, which are not designed for extreme off-road situations like a true Hummer is. Its all a marketing ploy really, and people eat it up.

EDIT: I just read through the "11 Worst" vehicles of the year according to consumer reports. On the scoring calculations they do NOT take into account reliability and off-road performance on the vehicles.

How in the hell can you do a review about about a vehicle that is designed to go off road in some fashion, and not take those capabilities into account when making your judgment?

That is like going into a restaurant as a food critic and writing a horrible review of the place, than at the end of the review saying "The overall quality of the food was not used in the scoring and final judgment of this restaurant."

Why would you even want to waist your time in reviewing an SUV when you are going to chunk out half of the intended purpose in the final call? You don't buy an SUV so that you can have the ride of a BMW 745i or a Benz S class.

Wait, I take that back, I think we do that in this country or at least try to.

Than as far as the reliability goes they come across to me as saying something like "Even though this vehicle is going to take a crap on you in 2 years and you will have lots of problems with it, it still is the best to get because it has 29 cup holders."

Never mind the fact that the other vehicle can actually get you out of snow or other bad weather situations, and will last 4 times longer. It isn't worth getting because it only has 28 cup holders.

5. I'm sorry, but I'm with Neo on this one. 99.999999999999999999% of all SUV's will never spend a single second going off road, unless the person driving ends up in a ditch on accident. CU is simply reviewing the qualities that the vast majority of people are interested in when buying a car.

However, I do agree that it would be nice if they included a section for people who would use their vehicle in an off road situation.

6. neothespian

neothespian Member

Well, MY car (1998 Chevy Tracker/Suzuki Sidekic) was rated as a "low end" and "poor" buy because of tinny interior, lousy acceleration, and plastic components for the interior and controls. Oh, that and they mentioned that there were no "Amenities" for passengers in the back seat.

And you know what? For a "Poor" buy, the ability to drive a compact with a REAL truck frame, 4wd, and the ability to go over 4 foot snowdrifts and get out of mud up past the tops of my wheels is REAL nice. So what if it has a low resale value and it doesn't have enough cupholders and backseat DVD players.

Then again, I am not "normal" when in comparison to other SUV drivers. And that, I feel is a good thing.

7. minidriver

minidriver Member

My car hauls firewood damn near every weekend,,,, takes me to and from work everyday and goes off road at least once a week to get said firewood. It's not a Mopar,,, not even a SUV,,,,,,, it's a lowly Subaru Baja. It's been in mud up to it's rockers and has never let me down. Granted,,, less clearance than a Jeep,,, but it does all that I have ever asked of it while getting an average of 28 MPG. Love My Baja!

8. Silicon Wolverine

I drive a 96 ford explorer V8 AWD. I have yet to find anything it cant go over, under, around or through. It got two star ratings when new because of high teens gas mileage, and lack of "creature comforts". At 165,000 miles i have yet to make a major repiar (besides normal maintenance items) and its still going strong. I can drive my wife and daughter to work in snowstorm with nary a wheel slip or load the back with 1000 lbs of firewood. I now use CR for toilet paper.

SW

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I want a subie so bad!
    [​IMG]

10. Silicon Wolverine

Dude that looks like my old fiat X-1/9 on steroids!

SW

11. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Holy cow! What the heck is that thing? I think that would be awesome to take on the dunes, convert it over a bit with some paddles, beef the motor maybe?

12. What Neo said, that's exactly how I feel on the subject. My brother bought a Chevy Avalanche and is putting low profile tires on it and fancy 22 inch rims. That kinda stuff gives me a headache :x

13. ewwww, the only subie I would not even ride in, let alone drive, is the baja. I mean that this is the result of the designers getting totally wasted at the christmas party and then playing who can make the best vehicle while slamming tequilla. Every other subie made I love, and would give certain left body parts for an STI. But a baja? I'll take the bus thankyou.

14. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I won't even give a consumer report regarding autos a second of my time anymore. Consumer Reports on autos are just freaking bullcrap. It amazes me at what the "lows, and markdowns" are on the vehicles they test.

My wife has one of the vehicles on this latest report. She has a 2008 Chevy Aveo, but the LS sedan model and not the hatchback listed in the report. That little Aveo is a sweet ride! What blows my mind is people and those who do the reviews for consumer reports have the dumbest things to complain about. They take some of these cars, put them through the paces of what a high end vehicle would do, then give negative reviews about the model.

Consumer Reports is a waste of time IMO when it relates to autos now. I looked into user reports about my wife's new Aveo LS sedan, and you want to know what the biggest complaint I found about her car was.....???? It wasn't the 32-34mpg, trunk space, seating, headroom, engine, ect., but there were a crap load of compaints about the "cup-holders". People were just raising cane about the cup holder and giving poor marks for that!

When I buy a vehicle I rely on my own knowlege of cars, and I lift the hood, take it on the road, research the engine, tranny, and TRUE VITAL parts of the auto. Things like cup holder, ash tray placement and other trivial things aren't my first priority. When I buy a car I want to make sure the engine, and tran are dependable.

15. neothespian

neothespian Member

Those Aveos are neat little sedans!! I was going to buy one of those myself before I got the Tracker. And, a new car for litteraly $10 grand out the door? You have to be high not to like that! I think the bad rap Daewoo (Now a division of GM after they drummed them into the ground..go fig) got in the US before the Aveo was released was unfair, and perhaps the company just tried to break into the North American market to fast.

16. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I love my wife's Aveo. I'm tempted to buy another one for myself. We got our 2008 model back in Oct of 07 :) The car had 12 miles on it! I was blown away when I opened the trunk to that car. You'd never expect to see that much trunk space. The exterior is nice, has chrome accents all over the place. The interior is very sleek, with brushed alum. accents on the dash, and all 4 doors (and wood dash and door accents are also an option).

Our model even came with the premium stereo package. 6 speakers, CD and MP3 hookup. This cars CD player has one of the COOLEST FREAKIN OPTIONS! My wife can burn a CD that's in a completely different format than a standard audio CD, and store several CD's worth of songs on one disc. The Aveos CD player will recognize these CD's, and even scrolls the titles and artists! We've squeezed tons of CD's to just a few :) Very cool option for a car CD player IMO.

Consumer Reports does this fine little sedan no justice, and all those crybabies out there whining about the freaking cupholder of all things!

17. Hey that Subaru WRX is a FINE vehicle... I know several people here on base that have them, and they are TOUGH lil' cars...

Strangerous, that Subaru you posted a picture of isn't a Brat is it?