Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I see someone with a rebel flag...I want to ask them "Why do you hate America?"

Historical or not, it's the flag of a failed rebellion. It is the symbol for not wanting to be a citizen of the United States of America.
If you wanna be historical, that's fine. Fly it during reenactments, and in your history bookcase.
When you strap it to your antennae on your truck and drive around, you are telling me you don't want to be an American, and that I should consider you a terrorist threat.

That's what it is. It's a big sign saying, "I feel connected to the seperatists, and in memory of them and their ideas, I fly this flag to prove I am like them, and I believe what they did, so I'm a terrorist who wants to seperate from America".

Rebel Flag = Terrorist Threat.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Oh jeez.....this topic that has been covered time and time again on this board. Try using the search function, chief. :cantlook:

And the "seperatists" were more in line with what ideals this country was founded on than you are. "Terrorist threat"? Wow, G Dubya, no idea you could make those kind of connections.......

·
Banned
401 Posts
The rebellion was not about not wanting to be an American, the south wanted to succeed from the Union, but did not say they didn't want to be American, they had a different ideal of what the United States was based on historic protocols of the founding of the country..I don't find the rebel flag to be a symbol of terrorist organizations, I find it to be a symbol of their heritage. Now when it is used in the context of white supremest groups, then yes, it is a symbol of a terrorist organization, but the vast majority of the Southern US is not white supremest.

Need to brush up on your history there...

Dp

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
The North were the terrorists. We were just chillin' down here growin' our cotton when those terrorists invaded us.

The Rebel Battle flag is not a terrorist flag. The people who fly it are not terrorists. As mentioned above, the southern cause was about a different idea of how America should be ran. Agreeing with that cause does not make one a terrorist, it just means you are practicing your freedom of speech/expression (while we still have it).

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Its not a symbol of not wanting be a citizen of America. Its a symbol of the Confederate States of America ,who at the time, (at the time mind you... please don't construe this as a pro slavery argument) held slaves as property, and felt the North was unfairly trying to bully them into abolishing said slavery by unfair tariffs and taxes, the Norths control of the cotton mills, and the Norths control of the shipping of cotton between the North and South. The south viewed the latter as an attempt of the North to get rich of them and as unfair interstate commerce. The thing that gets lost and the flaw of your contention that they didn't want to be citizens of America is that it's not America..its The United States of America, and the south thought it was getting a raw deal in its partnership in this union. All 3 of the major acts passed by the Federal Government leading to this secession of the southern states , The Missouri Compromise,The Compromise of 1850, and The Kansas-Nebraska Act ,all attempted to limit slavery, limit its expansion into the territories and try to force the abolition of slaves. (Again I'm not stating that was right I'm stating what was going on at the time and it was a different mindset) The south viewed all this as a violation of their states right and finally had enough of it in their eyes and voted to secede from the union. Now with that backdrop aside from knee jerk reactions to the rebel flag I can see where some see it as the flag of the last patriots opposed to a government gone mad with power and interfering where they had no business so I can see why people take pride in it and fly it today. Please bear in mind I'm from Ohio and now live in Wyoming,so I don't have a southern bias at all.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Don't plan on "re-fighting" the "war of northern aggression" here or elsewhere. I don't see the display of the confederate flag as un-American, separatist,or hatefull. IMHO is is just a display of an individuals heritage or roots. If I choose to fly it, thats all it would signify to me. No different than if I chose to fly my states flag, or the flag of the country of my family's roots, or a military unit flag. Any flag I choose to fly would have special meaning to me and I refuse to be held responsible for what the PC police feel it "may" represent. They have not a clue as to what my feelings or beliefs are and gladly I live in America where I can still fly whatever flag I choose. Due to that fact alone, any flag I choose to fly is always flown lower than Old Glory.

Your interpretation of the symbolism behind any display is just that; yours. Please do not presume to judge what others symbolism or beliefs are without asking them what they are or where they stand. If it, or any flag is flown for hatred or unpatriotic reasons I am totally opposed to such a display. I hold the individuals accountable, not the flag. To me, a WWII buff displays a swastika flag for an entirely different set of beliefs than a skinhead does. Responsibility lies with the individual and their intent, not the inanimate object.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Actually we do it just to piss off the kind of people that desperately need to learn not everyone drinks the koolaid.

Seriously see how well it works? Great fun...

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I see someone with a rebel flag...I want to ask them "Why do you hate America?"

Didn't realize the rebel flag symbolized hatred of America..that is a new twist from the normal rebel flag bashings.

Historical or not, it's the flag of a failed rebellion. It is the symbol for not wanting to be a citizen of the United States of America.

It is a symbol of the battle of brother vs brother, American vs American over personal beliefs in what they thought was right at the time and the direction of where they thought AMERICA should go.

If you wanna be historical, that's fine. Fly it during reenactments, and in your history bookcase.
When you strap it to your antennae on your truck and drive around, you are telling me you don't want to be an American, and that I should consider you a terrorist threat.

Nice Blanket Statement ..

I have one also for you......
I believe you own or use a product made in another country and because you do I feel you are anti American and do not want Americans to have jobs because you really do not like America, because if you did you would buy American.

That's what it is. It's a big sign saying, "I feel connected to the seperatists, and in memory of them and their ideas, I fly this flag to prove I am like them, and I believe what they did, so I'm a terrorist who wants to seperate from America".

Actually it is a big sign saying there is something I do not believe in and am proud to be against something I do not believe in. And to show my belief in what it is I am against I am going to fly this symbol of rebellion against conformity and change to show support for my cause.

Using Blanket statements,spreading false propaganda, your sounding like this Führer I read about from the 30's and 40's
Hmmmm. Interesting.

Your point of view is interesting and imo many like yours are the downfall of social acceptance because you are not open to any form of interpretation other then your own opinion.
Almost sounds like how why we founded this country, Freedom of Religion...Freedom of speech by free expression, Britain was rather closed minded also about some things.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing it.

Just pointing out that that's the first thing I think of when I see it.

And I love the heritage idea, but I don't see those same guys flying all the flags of their heritage. There would be a half dozen flags on any one vehicle for that.

There just seems to be so much one sided b*tching on these forums, I wanted to make sure I got a pet peeve on here as well.

·
Banned
401 Posts
I will state as I did before, you need to go back to your history books and do some studying, I spent 26 years as a commissioned officer in the Army and I don't consider it a sign of terrorists, I see it as a sign of very similar things that are being spoken about now a days in this country, but it is not just those in the south talking about it, we are once again, seeing states assert their sovereignty over the federal government, albeit in small ways, but once again, the people are rising up to say NO, we don't like the way the central government is treating those they represent, not a whole lot different that we saw in this country before the civil war broke out...one of those nasty little things about freedom...

·
Registered
313 Posts
dftt :

Don't feed the trolls.
When someone responds to a message board troll the way it was intended by that troll, someone with more common sense will make this statement.

1. lulz

Beginning as a plural variant of lol, Lulz was originally an exclamation but is now often used as a noun meaning interesting or funny internet content.

HiPoint45, urban dictionary is your friend :).. http://www.urbandictionary.com/

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
no urban anything is most definitely not my friend, I just saw the dftt and wondered its relationship to the thread, and I see lulz so much I figured I should know generally I don't talk in acronyms so don't bother learning them but thanks for the info and sorry for the :hijack:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This thread started as hijacked LOL. It was in fact the trolliest thing I have ever posted anywhere.

But it's still a pet peeve. I wonder how a palestinian guy flying heritage flags from his car would be percieved! Or an Iraqi guy in Texas.
I'm sure all those rebel flag guys would instantly understand the relevance! LOL

·
Banned
401 Posts
Different set of circumstances butter, those two examples are people from other nations flying their national flags, and I have no problem with that at all, as long as they are legal to be in this country and they are not flown above the US flag if flow in pairs....The rebel flag was born from Americans and flown by Americans...

And besides, what would the General Lee Dodge Charger be with out a rebel flag on the top!!! Just another charger in a group of chargers, like so many Americans have unfortunately become!

LOL

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Eh I've got no problem with it, FWIW I've got a 1st National on the wall.

Now what does tick me off is when I see the ones with a bass, Jack Daniels bottle, chick in a bikini, bocephus (no, I do like Hank, just prefer him to on my CD covers) or a 10 point buck right smack in the middle.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Historical or not, it's the flag of a rebellion.
that I should consider you a terrorist threat.
That's what it is. It's a big sign saying, "I feel connected to the seperatists, and in memory of them and their ideas, I fly this flag to prove I am like them, and I believe what they did, so I'm a terrorist who wants to seperate ".

nuff said

Eh I've got no problem with it, FWIW I've got a 1st National on the wall.

Now what does tick me off is when I see the ones with a bass, Jack Daniels bottle, chick in a bikini, bocephus (no, I do like Hank, just prefer him to on my CD covers) or a 10 point buck right smack in the middle.
now that much, I can definitely agree with

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
^ Where the heck you been? Missed your ugly mug around these parts!

·
Registered
959 Posts
^ Where the heck you been? Missed your ugly mug around these parts!
working 6-7 days a week, 10-12-14 hrs a day means I do more lurking than anything else, but you didn't really think that this one wouldn't pull me out of the shadows, did you? ^-^

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.