I met an ammo hoarder this morning

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, May 14, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So there I am at "Donuts with Dad" at my daughter's school. She picks the table; one with her friends, of course. So dads eventually start yapping. One has a squirrel getting into his birdseed. The other offers one of his pellet guns to pop a few squirrel-skulls (can you make stickers out of 'em?). So the conversation goes from there with him saying that he really needs to go out and get some trigger time with his .22LR, it's been way too long.

"If you can find ammo," I say.

"Not a problem. I've got 5,000 rounds."

"You had a stock pile before the insanity," I ask?

"No, you can find .22. It's always at Wal-Mart."

He then follows with stories about cleaning out the stock, buying as much as they'll allow, the times he "missed" getting what they had, and then offered advice on when is the best time for me to troll the ammo counter to get their stock.

<sigh>

I let the conversation drift to his profession, which is one that I find interesting (gauge and depth checker for a local steel mill).

C'mon, guy. If you're not buying .22LR to shoot, then 5,000 rounds is probably enough for your SHTF stockpile. I understand wanting to have a couple of bricks in reserve if you're the kind who goes out and shoots a brick per session. But if you're waiting so long between sessions that you are lamenting not getting enough trigger time, then that's not you. You're just making it hard for other people to get product.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i have a guy i work with like that. the few times i do go to failmart after work he's always there at the counter before me....every time. and since he drives like a lunatic chances arent good that i'm gonna get there 1st. i just dont need to be in that much of a hurry.

3. What were his tips? I'm down to my 700 Rd stock pile. Only 22 I can find $6.00 per 50 at my local robbing gun shop

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Know when they usually put out new stock. Go there at that time every day. Get to know the Sporting Goods Associate.

He had like a 45 min. window. It's not like I can go hang out at WM for 30-60 min. a day, every day just so that I can get a brick or two while he's busy increasing his stockpile from 5,000 rounds to 10,000 rounds which he doesn't shoot. :p

I just have this feeling that these hoarders are going to die and their widow will throw away all of it.

I need to start becoming best friends with the wives of these hoarders so that they'll give me his ammo stash when he dies. (probably soon because he's not reducing his stress by shooting)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Him collecting ammo, is a "AMMO ADDICTION". It is just as strong as the Hi Point ADDICTION. I can't walk into a gun store or WM without checking the ammo situation out. Good thing I have started collecting other calibers now so you 22LR guys have a chance on some ammo?
    I can barely afford to stop & pick up 1000 rds of 308's 3 X a week?
    At 5000ds he's not a hoarder he is a slacker!

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I havent been able to find 22lr at any walmarts around her. Not even 9mm. I did find some at sportsmans warehouse, but only on friday afternoon when the guy gets done stocking the shelves. They are limiting to 1 brick per person and it was 22.99 a brick for thunderbolt.

7. Dagwood

Macho, you are right on. My wife says no more guns, but I say I still need ammo. What good are the guns without ammo. Trying to find good deals on ammo is as much a passtime as shooting.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'd have asked him to sell me some, at cost plus a small fee; and then, if he refused, I'd have lit him up as the ass hat he is.:mad:

9. MachoMelvin

My wife has been hinting about me slowing down on the gun purchases and start picking up on the other preppers stuff. One obsession to another, I guess?

10. Dagwood

Yep. My wife has been real supportive of my gun addiction, she even drives to the meetings once a week... its been alot easier to afford the gun addiction since we gave up gambling. Ha ha;)

11. wow, some of us have silly things like jobs and families to tend to.

12. MachoMelvin

My FFL is a fireman. One day the wife of a retired fireman stopped by the bay with several boxes of guns, ammo, scopes, and cleaning supplies and just gave it to the guy's on shift. Her husband had recently passed away & she wanted them out of her house.

13. Lawson, I have over 100k rounds of .22lr...if you need some I can swing by and give you some. I live 5-10 mins from you.

14. Dagwood

For some of these guys trolling for ammo is their job. They buy up all they can and then turn around and sell it on armslist for double. Ahhh the golden years...

15. MachoMelvin

Not me!
    I may trade or barter a few rounds, but not for sale.
    It is the NEXT dollar?

16. Dagwood

You may be right on that as well.

17. rickm

rickm Member

I gave up on getting anymore 22lr besides i can shoot my other pistol rounds for .04 or less per round so much cheaper than 22lr now days.

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    No. It's all the same obsession I believe! (IMO)

It may well be! For a while at least. A box may be a new $100 bill...
    once our hyperinflated U$D comes home to roost :rolleyes:

THESE GUYS are the real problem. Snapping it all up and reselling it.
    IMO "double" is the cheaper stuff! Seeing a box of 50 go for $12.95
    really pisses me off. I got a pawn shop by me that PROUDLY advertises
    22lr for $10.00 a box (yes, it's 50, I stopped and checked) but they say
    they are getting it from Zanders (online) for $8 each :mad: doubt it

19. Dagwood

Good thing you dont have an American 180 22lr like I saw on Sons of Guns the other night. You couldn't afford to shoot it. That thing is [email protected]# though!

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

So 5K is hoarding?
    HowZ about THIS GUY, Kirk? ;)

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.co...2-nib-c9s-1-10-rd-mag-nip-308533/#post2137396