Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

i met an ammo hoarder

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  pheenix11 
#1 ·
I was jawing with a friend this morning. He's a fellow-JHP owner, first-time gun-owner, 60 yr old or so... & we were talking about ammo availability & when we might get out and shoot together...

he whispered to me, "I'm just storing it away. Hoarding it."

I was speechless. :mad:

It's been so long since i bought factory ammo for my JHP that I almost dunno what it's like to be afraid to shoot for fear of not being able to get more (may it NEVER come to that!). I suppose I can appreciate his situation though. I told him where to buy it locally, our GS almost always carries .45 & at decent prices.

Still, i tried to talk him into dropping by to see how re-loading is done. I just hate to see anyone sit on boxes of perfectly good brass just for fear of not getting more. If ya can't practice, what good is the ammo? And this guy is brand new, shot only 50rds in his whole life. I was right next to him when he did it. He has the makings for a damn-good shooter, except he's afraid to part with his treasure...

:cantlook:

Heaven help us.

See less See more
#3 ·
i'm sure you're not alone Sam.

And i can't spite anyone for it. All I can do it thank God for my LEE loading press & for Del's info on primers... otherwise id' hafta start hoarding soon too.

Be safe! Happy Independence day to ya!

#5 ·
Guess Im still hoarding also since if I shoot three boxes I buy four to replace it. Filled two gun safes and its spilling into the wifes side of the walk-in closet. But then Im also putting back money, silver(better than gold for a lot of reasons), canned goods, etc. Slowly to be sure but its building up. Maybe its foolish, at worst I can have one hell of a time at the range for about three months at best I look like a freaking genius. I am considering getting rid of certain calibers but waiting to see what happens when they finish fouling up health care and finally the eye of Mordor turns in our direction...

#7 ·
bout the only thing i would like to hoard up on is subsonic .22 can't find it anywhere in town, have not looked on the net for it yet though.
That is my go-to round of choice when those holes in paper matter, have 700 rounds and yes its a bit tough to find off the net. Normal target round is CCI MiniMag its VERY consistent and damn near completely flat ballistics out to about 50 yards. Never have any feed issues on either the Marlin or Ruger with either of them long as the rifles are well maintained.

Wait on second thought they both suck dont waste your money on them... :blink:

#8 ·
CU,

I thank Richard Lee and his family for making such a quality product at an affordable price. I thank God for helping me in my life so that I can afford to feed the family and my hobby both. I'm not hoarding just making it faster than I can shoot it up.

#10 ·
Coyote, just how much ammo was this gentleman hording anyways?

I've seen pictures of guys with 20-30-40k in larger caliber ammo stashes in their basements and so on.
he's only got a few hundred rds, by no means a problem & I wouldn't want to be caught with less. I think it p/o'd me initially cuz i've offered to re-load it for him if he just brings his casing back, and pays for the supplies... but he didn't shoot a single round. He bought it for "protection" but didn't make any attempt to do the #1 thing, learn to shoot it.

I hope to always have plenty of ammo on hand, & more power to folks if they can build-up a big stock-pile (like wife's side of closet, LOL!) but I'd rather have 9 rounds and be confident they will land where I point them if my fam is in danger, than a hundred rds and no clue how to shoot them... but i was prolly freaked over nuthin.

I thank Richard Lee and his family for making such a quality product at an affordable price. [damn straight! :yes: ] I thank God for helping me in my life so that I can afford to feed the family and my hobby both. I'm not hoarding just making it faster than I can shoot it up.
LOL! :D There's a problem we don't share... seems no matter how much I make it blows downrange faster than I can stuff cases. AND tonight I took my 15yr old to IDPA w/me, he loved it...oh oh...how can i keep up... :cantlook:

anyway, i think i'm over my shock & will do what I can to help him get a comfortable stash... and applause to all and any who can do the same!

#12 ·
Well I still shoot it but I am hoarding the heck out of .22, its hard to find it in stock in bricks for volume shooting especially I have about 3000 rds now and will keep buying as much as I can because I can't reload that of course and if they do pass the "ammo tax" at some point it may make .22 prohibitive.

#13 ·
Yeah 22LR is my main focus now since for some reason I have a nagging feeling its going to get hard to find. 10k rounds of that stuff isnt that much given how much I shoot every week, 500 rounds being common for a good session. Yeah I spend a LOT of time at the range.

#14 ·
Coyote, just how much ammo was this gentleman hording anyways?

I've seen pictures of guys with 20-30-40k in larger caliber ammo stashes in their basements and so on.
he's only got a few hundred rds, by no means a problem & I wouldn't want to be caught with less. I think it p/o'd me initially cuz i've offered to re-load it for him if he just brings his casing back, and pays for the supplies... but he didn't shoot a single round. He bought it for "protection" but didn't make any attempt to do the #1 thing, learn to shoot it.

I hope to always have plenty of ammo on hand, & more power to folks if they can build-up a big stock-pile (like wife's side of closet, LOL!) but I'd rather have 9 rounds and be confident they will land where I point them if my fam is in danger, than a hundred rds and no clue how to shoot them... but i was prolly freaked over nuthin.
A few hundred rounds?

Damn. I have probably close to 15-25k in centerfire and 15-20k in 22LR stashed away and I shoot about once a month and try to replace double what I shot up. Lately when I shoot, its mainly about 50 rounds of 308, 25-50 of swiss, and a few hundred of 22.

#16 ·
I guess I am a hoarder then-- I probably have about 3K of 9, 1K+ of .45acp, 1k+ 7.62x39, 1K+ of .38spl, 5 or 6 bricks and a whole slew of single boxes of .22lr, plus hundreds of rounds of others...

I accumilate these though-- I never buy more than 2 or 3 boxes of anything at a time-- I like to shoot, but only get out to the range every so often...since my wife has the "bug" too, she insists that I pick up a box or two at least once a week "just in case"--

I don't fear "the end of the world", but I am afraid that the coming taxes may make it hard to get affordable ammo..why pay tomorrow, when I can get it cheaper today?

#17 ·
A few hundred rounds?

Damn. I have probably close to 15-25k in centerfire and 15-20k in 22LR stashed away and I shoot about once a month and try to replace double what I shot up. Lately when I shoot, its mainly about 50 rounds of 308, 25-50 of swiss, and a few hundred of 22.
How can you afford all that?
I spent 100 dollars on ammo on thursday and I was totally bummed about it.
But I figured I better buy it while I can.
If the world goes to sh*t, I am coming to Spokane to hide out with you (if you dont mind) :D

#18 ·
LOL, thats's exactly what I was thinking Beeg Boy. good thing I love Spokane!

#19 ·
A few hundred rounds?

If the world goes to sh*t, I am coming to Spokane to hide out with you (if you dont mind) :D
Same way people afford anything. Some drive a Cadillac some like me drive an old pick-up. Of course I choose to have several thousand rounds of everything I shoot over a big screen TV.

#20 ·
A few hundred rounds?

Same way people afford anything. Some drive a Cadillac some like me drive an old pick-up. Of course I choose to have several thousand rounds of everything I shoot over a big screen TV.
good on ya for it!

#21 ·

I afford it by reloading my own. Spread out the cost of the reloading setup over 4 months. Total for all the necessities and lots of extra goodies was less than $100/month. Since January I've reloaded, shot and stockpiled enough ammo to more than pay for the reloading setup when comparing my ammo cost now to what factory ammo costs. Bonus is that I don't have to go to the store just to see that they are out of ammo.

#22 ·
I just got in to reloading. Honestly it is similar to the ammo game. People are hoarding primers, I have heard of people buying up to 20 thousand at a time. :mad: I just want 1K. :'( . But now that I have started reloading walmart has had the $30 boxes of 100 .45's that I wanted sooo bad before, but I won't buy them now because I can reload them for so much less, plus I put all the money into reloading equipment. :cantlook:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.